Redskins Yes or no

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Won't last. Marquette was the Warriors and had to change to Golden Eagles. I say go with Sharks....how can you be offended by a shark?

The teams that moved on from the Warriors name was more about the logo than the name. These are a couple of mascots of theirs, not exactly PC.

images

Willie-Wampum.jpg

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
Absolutely, Redskins is very insulting and should be gone.

A flattering name (in my opinion) is the Braves. But that name too will have to go and I doubt it will be Native Americans demanding it.

I just wish there was a way to do away with the obvious racist stuff without snowballing into "everything is racist" mode.

Any and all names can be made into something racist if you try hard enough, there needs to be some common sense used. The redskins to me seems to be the first up to be changed, I'm not sure if there are any others that need to be changed this year.

Reactions: RotatingColumn

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'll add this, I love nicknames or mascots that embrace the local culture. Sooners, Cornhuskers, Bison, Mountaineers, Hurricanes, Packers, even Cyclones.

I have no idea what affiliation DC has to redskins. Enlighten me if there is one.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I'll add this, I love nicknames or mascots that embrace the local culture. Sooners, Cornhuskers, Bison, Mountaineers, Hurricanes, Packers, even Cyclones.

I have no idea what affiliation DC has to redskins. Enlighten me if there is one.
They were originally the Boston Braves. They took the name Braves because they played in the same stadium as the Boston Braves Baseball team. Then they moved to Fenway and wanted to come up with a new name to avoid confusion with the baseball team. They wanted to keep the Native American "brand" and came up with Redskins.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They were originally the Boston Braves. They took the name Braves because they played in the same stadium as the Boston Braves Baseball team. Then they moved to Fenway and wanted to come up with a new name to avoid confusion with the baseball team. They wanted to keep the Native American "brand" and came up with Redskins.
The places I know who did this right negotiated with tribes to use their name as a mascot. My daughter went to a high school whose mascot was the Comanches. Members of the tribe came to school events and gave permission for the mascot use. Tribal representatives were there when they dedicated the new football field.

Reactions: isufbcurt

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I used to think they should change it. Then I learned the name was actually conceived by a Native American coach in the organization and was meant to honor the courage and bravery of his ancestors. Since then I've wavered. There really are two sides to every story.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I used to think they should change it. Then I learned the name was actually conceived by a Native American coach in the organization and was meant to honor the courage and bravery of his ancestors. Since then I've wavered. There really are two sides to every story.

The logo is WAY less offensive than Cheif Wahoo, but the name needs to go. In a year or two, no one will even remember.