Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I personally couldn’t care less about these peoples opinions, but IMO a lot of PAC12 mouthpieces were blasting the big 12 rather than B10. I think if you asked a Utah fan on Twitter or Reddit they would say B12 is to blame for the holocaust
The advantage of having your own network is getting the PR out there that you want people to believe. Throw in FOX that owns the network are not going to blame the B10, ESPN has no stake, but they did the same with OU and UT and there are few that stand up for the B12.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I have literally never heard that narrative.
You cant be serious, did you listen or read anything from the Pac mouthpieces, Like the Athletic, Altimore Cazano, Wilner, Mandel, as well as all their fans on Social media? Hell there were several national guys pushing this idea.

Reactions: State2015

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You cant be serious, did you listen or read anything from the Pac mouthpieces, Like the Athletic, Altimore Cazano, Wilner, Mandel, as well as all their fans on Social media? Hell there were several national guys pushing this idea.
Yeah I heard them, but I don't remember ever hearing them talk about how the Big 12 was the destroyer of the PAC. I heard them talk about how the Big 12 would never kill the PAC, how much better the PAC was, how the PAC was going to come out of it with a media deal equal to or better than the Big 12.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah I heard them, but I don't remember ever hearing them talk about how the Big 12 was the destroyer of the PAC. I heard them talk about how the Big 12 would never kill the PAC, how much better the PAC was, how the PAC was going to come out of it with a media deal equal to or better than the Big 12.
Well before it happened it was more, "why is the B12 trying/doing to do this to us" When it was the B10 that had taken 2 teams in USCLA.

Then when Colorado jumped it was pushed further. Then after the other 3 jumped, even though this was after 4 teams went to the B1G all the talk was how the B12 destroyed the Pac.

No one has ever talked about how it was the B10 that did it.

You may have a selective memory on this. Considering this has been a subject on this very thread many times.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Not that I am defending them, but the reason why the PAC fans were blasting the Big 12 because they viewed the Big 12 as inferior. We thought the same about the AAC when rumors were they wanted to poach the Big 12 when OUT declared.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not that I am defending them, but the reason why the PAC fans were blasting the Big 12 because they viewed the Big 12 as inferior. We thought the same about the AAC when rumors were they wanted to poach the Big 12 when OUT declared.
The P12 arrogance directly led to their downfall as a conference. They had a perfect opportunity to destroy the B12 when it was announced that OU and UT were leaving, if they had offered a couple of schools, the league would have been torn apart like they were. But they were above mingling with people from many of the conference schools not named UT. The rest of us were beneath them is what they believed, they had the same arrogance about the SEC, sure they win in football, but look at our academics and Olympic sports. The B10 also acts this way, if ISU is winning it's because they can take kids that would never get into EIU. Not true, but to them we are a JC and they are a shadow below Harvard and Yale.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The difference was the Big 12 was a power league and the AAC was not. The Pac 12 has only themselves to blame. Their hubris lead to their demise.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Will just keep saying from a basketball standpoint, Yormark needs to try and get UConn. If it means their terrible football program in our league, it’s worth it. Their basketball programs (women’s game is just continuing to grow) are worth it. We aren’t ever going to be the Big Ten or SEC in football but our basketball can be the clear number 1.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Will just keep saying from a basketball standpoint, Yormark needs to try and get UConn. If it means their terrible football program in our league, it’s worth it. Their basketball programs (women’s game is just continuing to grow) are worth it. We aren’t ever going to be the Big Ten or SEC in football but our basketball can be the clear number 1.
I mostly agree with this, depending on the availability of ACC programs.

When looking at schools like Gonzaga, Creighton, etc. I think UConn is far and away a better add than either of those.

I would say there are several ACC schools that are better overall adds.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I mostly agree with this, depending on the availability of ACC programs.

When looking at schools like Gonzaga, Creighton, etc. I think UConn is far and away a better add than either of those.

I would say there are several ACC schools that are better overall adds.
Not many imo. Nothing left of the ACC available teams will do much for football other than provide some decent teams at best like NC State for example. Miami isn’t what they once were. But UConn is about as blue a blood as you can get in hoops. If they win the title it will 6 in 25 years.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Sounds great, but I'm skeptical a 70+ team Super League makes sense. It seems counter to what the Blue Bloods in the SEC and Big10 are doing by maximizing TV Rights Fees among a smaller group of schools.

And it would be surprising if traditional/streaming outlets would be willing to increase their rights fees to support such a big pool of schools. Sure there could be tiered payments among the 70+ schools, but it doesn't solve the issue of diluting competition vs. what we are experiencing with the current Big10/SEC realignment push.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Sounds great, but I'm skeptical a 70+ team Super League makes sense. It seems counter to what the Blue Bloods in the SEC and Big10 are doing by maximizing TV Rights Fees among a smaller group of schools.

And it would be surprising if traditional/streaming outlets would be willing to increase their rights fees to support such a big pool of schools. Sure there could be tiered payments among the 70+ schools, but it doesn't solve the issue of diluting competition vs. what we are experiencing with the current Big10/SEC realignment push.
Yes it seems counter to the direction we are going, but there are smart people that realize the direction we are going will ultimately reduce the fan base in the long run.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So basically some group not affiliated with the B10 and SEC want those two to provide a more level playing field for the greater good of college athletics and the players involved by having the B10 and SEC voluntarily yield their advantages? Not a chance.
It’s also private equity making this proposal and they can’t even get the leagues to meet to discuss.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So basically some group not affiliated with the B10 and SEC want those two to provide a more level playing field for the greater good of college athletics and the players involved by having the B10 and SEC voluntarily yield their advantages? Not a chance.

It seems like after having a 4 team playoff for a decade, the powers to be can't grow the playoff quick enough. We are at 12, discussions about 14 and this working group is proposing 16. Maybe the extra playoff games are the gravy train to spread the wealth.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
“No one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.”