Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You just wait for the ACC to crumble and give the schools who seem to care about athletics as a whole a home in a new mega-conference with the Big 12.

Assume UNC, UVA, FSU, and Clemson are gone to the Big 10/SEC and that leaves NCSU, VA Tech, Louisville, Miami, Duke, Cuse, and Pitt as schools that make sense in the Big 12. Find one more for 24 teams and you solidify as a the 3rd conference that can't be kicked out of football because it's this insane basketball conglomerate.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
You just wait for the ACC to crumble and give the schools who seem to care about athletics as a whole a home in a new mega-conference with the Big 12.

Assume UNC, UVA, FSU, and Clemson are gone to the Big 10/SEC and that leaves NCSU, VA Tech, Louisville, Miami, Duke, Cuse, and Pitt as schools that make sense in the Big 12. Find one more for 24 teams and you solidify as a the 3rd conference that can't be kicked out of football because it's this insane basketball conglomerate.
I’ll get knocked for this but I think UCONN would fit here.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No idea how reputable this source is but it wouldn’t be surprising if Yormark is trying to build a relationship with Duke in advance of the ACC getting picked apart.

Former Salt Lake City-based radio host Tim Montemayor reported on “The Monty Show” Monday that the Big 12 is pursuing Duke.

“Well-placed sources told us that the Big 12 is being aggressive with ACC basketball membership and has their eyes solely set on Duke to pair with Gonzaga,” Montemayor said.

Yormark understands that the race for getting the best football programs is over and the B12 has lost that race. He is now hoping that he can form the best BB conference in the country, and then split it off from our football rights and make more money for the conference that way. Getting teams like Duke and Gonzaga into the conference would be a step in the right direction. It may work or we may end up being like the Big East and become nothing more than a BB conference, which will hurt our football programs

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I’m sure you’re right, don’t know a single thing about wrestling

You should look into it. Wrestling is the model that football will be following. One conference (or two for football) dumps so much money into their programs that no one outside that conference can even compete for national titles. And the interest in the sport outside that conference craters.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You should look into it. Wrestling is the model that football will be following. One conference (or two for football) dumps so much money into their programs that no one outside that conference can even compete for national titles. And the interest in the sport outside that conference craters.
Hmmm that kinda sounds a lot like hockey, but similarly to wresting I’ve always thought of it as an extreme regional sport so didn’t read much into it.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017

24 teams doesn't even feel like a conference anymore, that's more like a league. How would you divvy up games?

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
24 teams doesn't even feel like a conference anymore, that's more like a league. How would you divvy up games?
Someone’s gonna say Pods. But you could have 2 divisions of 12 and work off that.

I think it’s bonkers but that’s where things are now.

• Agree
Reactions: Jkclone15

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

The problem with your math is that if the B1G and SEC only take those 4 there is a good chance that the Big 12 might lose a couple. I think NCSU, Va Tech, Miami, and Duke all have pretty solid shots at the P2.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The problem with your math is that if the B1G and SEC only take those 4 there is a good chance that the Big 12 might lose a couple. I think NCSU, Va Tech, Miami, and Duke all have pretty solid shots at the P2.
Miami is a big maybe but NCST and VaTech have zero chance. How would the Big12 lose anyone?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't think there's an obsession with a particular number. I don't think the SEC will feel compelled to have 20 teams just because the Big 10 does. Especially if they aren't financially additive, and I don't think that any of the 4 you listed would be financially additive to the SEC.

The Big 10 is saddled with a ton of dead weight. Out of that hypothetical 20, at least 12 are more akin to the Big 12/ACC level than they are the top end of the Big 10. The SEC is less that way.

Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, UCLA, and Nebraska are much more like us than they are Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and USC. Oregon, Washington, Michigan State, and Wisconsin are kind of in between.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
it is possible the BIG could add arz and colo, but only if they drop deadweight like rutgers and northwestern. I think terps were a good add, and id be shocked if the BIG ever drops them. There was an article by a noted sports writer that said the SEC could, if the ACC goes sideways, add texas tech and WVU. He said markets for those 2 are not good, but theyre both strong brands for TV and a culture fit.

I think that never happens, but it does show no one knows anything at this point--except that the sec and BIG both want UNC.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Miami is a big maybe but NCST and VaTech have zero chance. How would the Big12 lose anyone?
IF UNC and NCST are tied together as rumored, the SEC would take both. And assuming Virginia is a lock to the B1G, the SEC might take Va Tech due to their fan support and getting into the Virginia market as well.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
it is possible the BIG could add arz and colo, but only if they drop deadweight like rutgers and northwestern. I think terps were a good add, and id be shocked if the BIG ever drops them. There was an article by a noted sports writer that said the SEC could, if the ACC goes sideways, add texas tech and WVU. He said markets for those 2 are not good, but theyre both strong brands for TV and a culture fit.

I think that never happens, but it does show no one knows anything at this point--except that the sec and BIG both want UNC.
Yeah UNC is easily the most desirable program. If the big ten could get UNC and ND they might be done. ND remains a wildcard.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Someone’s gonna say Pods. But you could have 2 divisions of 12 and work off that.

I think it’s bonkers but that’s where things are now.
Once you get to 16 or more it’s not really a “conference” any more, it’s like two conferences with a scheduling agreement.

What I want to know is if conferences are trying to get away from divisions, how the hell do you determine a conference champion when you’ve played just over 1/3 of the conference teams? How do you actually determine your two conference champion contestants if they haven’t played over a dozen of the teams in that conference?

24 teams - 23 besides you - 9 conference games - 23-9=14

You’d have to do divisions, then have your division winners meet. And before you yell out, “But have you considered pods?” pods are just divisions by another name. You’re still not playing anything like comparable schedules if you’ve got 24 teams; heck, it doesn’t work that well if you go with 12-team divisions and only play within your division (you still miss two teams).

The ideal thing would be 20 teams, two divisions of 10, play 9 conference games only in your division, division champions meet for the conference championship. Mix up the divisions every other year so you get to play everybody (eventually). Or, if you gotta have 24, three divisions of eight, seven games in division plus one game vs each of the other two divisions, three division champs and one wild card have a two-week playoff to get the conference champion.

Or, pods, which is just what I’m recommending with extra steps.

• Winner
Reactions: isucy86

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron