Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Sadly he is an Iowa State alum. Giving us a bad name
Nice find. Has he been ripping on the Big 12
I don't think that's meant as a compliment. Fresno is not a particularly nice place.
Agreed. ISU grad friend lived out there and visited. Not much to do. But that is a good thing. Fresno athletics was the only thing to do. Passionate fans, don't fit in with the rest of California.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Kinda bored, so why not rank the ACC options for whenever we get there

Not happening - Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Notre Dame

Bubble of SEC and Big 10 - Miami, Virginia

Top choices - Virginia Tech, Pitt, Louisville, NC State

Elevated by basketball - Duke, Syracuse

Maybe the market helps? - Boston College, Georgia Tech

Screwed - Wake Forest

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

Screwed - Wake Forest
Swap Duke and Syracuse with V Tech and NC State.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Swap Duke and Syracuse with V Tech and NC State.
Not sure for the Big12 if it becomes an either or if we are talking Duke, Syracuse, Va Tech, NC State. I think they are all takes.

I would rank schools as follows and top 6 would all be takes if available and the # of teams already in conference makes it work.

NC State
Va Tech
Pitt
Syracuse
Duke
Ga Tech
Louisville
Boston College
Wake Forest

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The FSU to Big 12 is total ********. It’s like an NBA UFA using another team to get his current team to offer a max deal.
Fresno State always makes me think back to my night shifts at Hy Vee right after high school. We had a night janitor that was pretty funny, but he was from Fresno so that's what we called him (can't remember his real name), and he had Hefty bags full of weed in his trunk lol. Can't think of Fresno State without thinking of Fresno.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Fresno State always makes me think back to my night shifts at Hy Vee right after high school. We had a night janitor that was pretty funny, but he was from Fresno so that's what we called him (can't remember his real name), and he had Hefty bags full of weed in his trunk lol. Can't think of Fresno State without thinking of Fresno.
College Friend of mine was from San Jose, his sister moved out here and her husband was from Fresno. That was his nickname also. They lived in sheldahl.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com

Screwed - Wake Forest
Me too, how about Non-Football adds. Although, I'm not really a fan of this strategy.

Mid-West Focus Option:
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Creighton
  3. Marquette
  4. Xavier
East Coast Market Capture Option:
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Villanova
  3. UConn
  4. St. John's
Best Brands Option:
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Villanova
  3. UConn
  4. Creighton

• Dislike
Reactions: GoldCy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Outside of Gonzaga the B12 is not taking any other G5 schools, no Fresno States, Creighton's or Vilanova's of the world. Football is paying the bills, we can afford to bring Gonzaga into the league for BB, but any more than that would be silly.

Remember for every basketball only school that joins the league, means less money for ISU in the end. BB is great, but unfortunately its not paying the bills of the athletic program.

• Winner
Reactions: 06_CY

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Outside of Gonzaga the B12 is not taking any other G5 schools, no Fresno States, Creighton's or Vilanova's of the world. Football is paying the bills, we can afford to bring Gonzaga into the league for BB, but any more than that would be silly.

Remember for every basketball only school that joins the league, means less money for ISU in the end. BB is great, but unfortunately its not paying the bills of the athletic program.

I can't imagine the Big 12 would even talk to Gonzaga (or any other basketball only school) if it was going to decrease any full membership school's payout.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldCy and Acylum

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston

What about Creighton instead of Gonzaga? They are closer and figure to be more of a rival to the Kansas schools and us. Great fans too. Though not as important in basketball, Gonzaga in the PST has some advantage I guess.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I can't imagine the Big 12 would even talk to Gonzaga (or any other basketball only school) if it was going to decrease any full membership school's payout.
I think that is a given with Yormark's reported pursuit of Gonzaga. For Big12 to add Gonzaga, ESPN/Fox would have to say they want the elite brand and are willing make it financially attractive to Gonzaga and Big12.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t think that whole Rucker Park thing was to hype up the Midwest. Something is coming.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Me too, how about Non-Football adds. Although, I'm not really a fan of this strategy.

Mid-West Focus Option:
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Creighton
  3. Marquette
  4. Xavier
East Coast Market Capture Option:
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Villanova
  3. UConn
  4. St. John's
Best Brands Option:
  1. Gonzaga
  2. Villanova
  3. UConn
  4. Creighton
Interesting strategy that I have wondered if that is Yormark's end-game with the pursuit of Gonzaga.

The only issue with raiding the Big East is it is a Fox media rights property through 2025. There were media reports that the Big East was looking to start negotiations earlier this month
for a new deal.

But FOX has now got more Big10 hoops games with ESPN out of the Big10. AND FOX will start doing Big12 games.

Would think Gonzaga, Creighton, Xavier and Georgetown are the top no-football brands. Schools like Villanova and Marquette could make an argument as well, but now sure about their following if they aren't top 25. I did not realize Marquette attendance was higher than ISU in 2021/22.

If UConn would be considered, they would probably push to have their FB team included.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
zags are an add if Big 12 adds a few from Pac. if not, no Gonzaga.
Our commissioner, who has proven his competence, said basketball is undervalued, and that the big 12 will market basketball rights apart from everything else in 2031.

Make no mistake, if the big 12 can get its top picks from big east, we'll take 4.

Big 12 will never be in top 2 in football, but it can own hoops, and additions will be made with that in mind.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Interesting strategy that I have wondered if that is Yormark's end-game with the pursuit of Gonzaga.

The only issue with raiding the Big East is it is a Fox media rights property through 2025. There were media reports that the Big East was looking to start negotiations earlier this month
for a new deal.

But FOX has now got more Big10 hoops games with ESPN out of the Big10. AND FOX will start doing Big12 games.

Would think Gonzaga, Creighton, Xavier and Georgetown are the top no-football brands. Schools like Villanova and Marquette could make an argument as well, but now sure about their following if they aren't top 25. I did not realize Marquette attendance was higher than ISU in 2021/22.

If UConn would be considered, they would probably push to have their FB team included.
St. John's with their big games at MSG would be a solid get, not to mention thier new HC.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Good luck getting all 24 plus ESPN and ND are willing.

Espn can get much of the same ACCN benefits by first adding AZ, CU, ASU, SDSU to Big 12, then moving the future leftover ACC schools to Big 12.
Yeah but ESPN is trying to make Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State more money so that they don't bolt to the Big 10, where ESPN doesn't have an agreement. This is a way to do it without themselves paying these schools.

Revenue of the ACCN is split 50-50 with ACC and ESPN. If they merge, the ACCN replaces the PAC Network. ESPN would invoke a clause in their contract or renegotiate with Comcast, Cox, or whoever is out in the West Coast for in-footprint subscriber fee, which would be something like 4 times more than out-of-footprint. Thus, more money to ESPN and more money to the schools.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Let's not be too quick to claim our new commissioner a saviour. He has been more active but let's wait to see the results in a couple years if he's still around. He may be just sharpening his resume and leave us with a mess like GS did to ISU.

• Haha
Reactions: SerenityNow