Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Let's not be too quick to claim our new commissioner a saviour. He has been more active but let's wait to see the results in a couple years if he's still around. He may be just sharpening his resume and leave us with a mess like GS did to ISU.
He might be gone quick, but it certainly seems like he's not going into this with that mindset.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Let's not be too quick to claim our new commissioner a saviour. He has been more active but let's wait to see the results in a couple years if he's still around. He may be just sharpening his resume and leave us with a mess like GS did to ISU.
Spoken like a true Cyclone Fan. We can't have anythng to good or shiny.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

What are you talking about?

He already has made competent moves that will have long lasting impacts

Had we waited and not been willing to work with both networks, likely giving up some market value at the time, we were looking at possible dissolution.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah but ESPN is trying to make Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State more money so that they don't bolt to the Big 10, where ESPN doesn't have an agreement. This is a way to do it without themselves paying these schools.

Revenue of the ACCN is split 50-50 with ACC and ESPN. If they merge, the ACCN replaces the PAC Network. ESPN would invoke a clause in their contract or renegotiate with Comcast, Cox, or whoever is out in the West Coast for in-footprint subscriber fee, which would be something like 4 times more than out-of-footprint. Thus, more money to ESPN and more money to the schools.
Isn't the ACC deal with ESPN worth something like $17-18M? I saw that the ACC was going to get a bump due to carriage fees with Comcast. But with cord cutting, not sure how sustainable cable subscriber fees are as a dominant revenue stream.

The 365Sports guys had a guest on their YouTube vlog Thursday, named Williams. He has a media background, believe he worked for ESPN and is now a Forbes writer and consultant. About a 30 minute vlog and he had some interesting takes.

One that seemed different is that ESPN in 3-5 years could be a direct to customer streaming platform. So the Pac12 having Amazon, Apple, ESPN as potential media rights holders- could mean a 100% streaming/subscription platform.

Obviously, ESPN's transformation from linear(carriage fee model) to streaming(subscription fee model) impacts the Big12, SEC and ACC.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I dont really know what GS did too ISU, he took the Ohio State job, can't blame him. Its not like GS hired Bruce Van de Velde.

I think Smith kicked some cans down the road and left Bruce with a financial mess he had to clean up. The baseball decision and the Eustachy firing made him enormously unpopular, and his total lack of interpersonal skills didn't help either. In a very tepid defense of Bruce, I will say that I think it's possible we don't land a guy of Pollard's caliber without Bruce getting the house somewhat in order.

Also, Gene Smith left ISU for Arizona State first before going to Ohio State.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think Smith kicked some cans down the road and left Bruce with a financial mess he had to clean up. The baseball decision and the Eustachy firing made him enormously unpopular, and his total lack of interpersonal skills didn't help either. In a very tepid defense of Bruce, I will say that I think it's possible we don't land a guy of Pollard's caliber without Bruce getting the house somewhat in order.

Wasn’t there an AD posting here?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Almost 25 years ago I can't remember all the details, lol. I completly forgot he went to ASU first.

Reactions: Trice

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Interesting strategy that I have wondered if that is Yormark's end-game with the pursuit of Gonzaga.

The only issue with raiding the Big East is it is a Fox media rights property through 2025. There were media reports that the Big East was looking to start negotiations earlier this month
for a new deal.

But FOX has now got more Big10 hoops games with ESPN out of the Big10. AND FOX will start doing Big12 games.

Would think Gonzaga, Creighton, Xavier and Georgetown are the top no-football brands. Schools like Villanova and Marquette could make an argument as well, but now sure about their following if they aren't top 25. I did not realize Marquette attendance was higher than ISU in 2021/22.

If UConn would be considered, they would probably push to have their FB team included.
Come to a compromise with UConn FB, like ACC and ND, the B12 can schedule them 4 games a year. That helps them with one of the toughest parts of being a independent FB school, filling out a schedule.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Come to a compromise with UConn FB, like ACC and ND, the B12 can schedule them 4 games a year. That helps them with one of the toughest parts of being a independent FB school, filling out a schedule.
They fit in well with the rest of the Big East now and would only leave if football comes with to the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron