Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know you have all been waiting to hear how the trip to the apple orchard was. ;) First off, it was overcast and very tolerable out in the morning. And the tractor ride we got on was one with just wooden benches, so no hay. :) Deal's Orchard over by Jefferson was a lot of fun for the kiddos--lots of things for them to do. Corn pool, bikes/trike track, water play, goats/sheep/llama to feed, slides (big tube, went down on saucer sleds), "hamster wheels", and a big jumping "pillow". Shortly after we got there they lost electricity for some reason, so we had a slight change in some plans, but it worked. Thankfully we had gotten 90% of the kids through the bathroom before it happened since they run on well water. No electricity=no bathroom. Was not looking forward to having 60 kids plus chaperones go in one port a potty before the return trip. The electricity was restored by that time. Crisis adverted.

Observations:
--A 75+min bus ride is long. My butt hurt by the end.
--Apples taste good right off the tree when you pick them yourself
--Putting goat feed in cake ice cream cones is ingenious. So much better than paper cups.
--Lots of farmers out in the fields. We went a little north and then west since Hwy 30 is closed for a stretch. Very pretty countryside drive.

Just saw that the Deal family donated some dwarf Honeycrisp trees to our school landscape classes, so once they start producing our school will have fresh apples in the fall.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wow.....Cruise I understand, to me he's an arrogant POS. But I always thought of Hanks as the Jimmy Stewart of today - the everyman. I'll watch anything with Ed Norton, though, or Pacino of course.

Saw interview where Hanks very much came across as arrogant POS as well.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Just plain better.

I'll take it. :) The dad behind me on the bus was talking about the 4yr old and the 2yr old and their baby on the way. All I could think about was how I have one who can drive. I am waaaay over the baby stage. ;)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'll take it. :) The dad behind me on the bus was talking about the 4yr old and the 2yr old and their baby on the way. All I could think about was how I have one who can drive. I am waaaay over the baby stage. ;)

We seemed to always be oldest parents, even with the first.

Then we went to parents' weekend at oldest's undergrad school that is pretty darn selective. Suddenly, we're the youngest parents! Lots of the kids were only kids or just had one sibling. And pretty sure we were among the poorest based on the types of loans he could get there versus financial aid my ISU boys can get.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The maternal death rate is still usually over 275,000 worldwide per year, with the US having the highest rate in the developed world and a rate that continues to rise.

Not sure if they keep moldy/spicy colon death rate statistics.

Seems like chance of free stuff either way.

isn't the latter what all those Oregon Trail peeps died of?????

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
There is very little I find more off-putting than an arrogant POS -- evil or unkind POS I guess.

I also like some really old lawyer movies. "A Man for All Seasons" is definitely one of them. Also the old movie about the Nuremberg trials that focuses on the German judges, I think it's "Judgment at Nuremberg."
Judgment in Nuremberg is great, but it's a long movie. Woman in gold is also pretty good. It's about a Jewish woman trying to get a painting that was confiscated by the nazis back.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
But for serious lawyer movies, Philadelphia and Erin Brockovich are tops for me.

"Erin Brockovich is my name!"

erin-2.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No. I don't think I'll be appointed to any benches again. I came up on the mean streets of Iowa's Xth Judicial District, which is where I donned a robe and swang a gavel part-time (just a Judicial Magistrate at that point--not trying to humble brag). I had to resign when I moved to an undisclosed location in Iowa's Yth Judicial District after getting married. Had I stayed in the Xth I had connections, etc. In the Yth, I'm just Clark Kent without any powers.

Somewhat obscure reference for Velo's appreciation-- "I will diminish and go into the West".
I didn't know you were the Lady of Light...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron