Random thoughts on the season....

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Truth to this. Going back to Ejim and Kane's year. No one would trade Ejim, Kane, and Hogue for Nader, McKay, and Burton.

We, and the media, may have been over exaggerating the talent on this team.

ISU is very talented but each talented player has some issues. Except for Morris in my opinion who I would steal from your team in a second. Thomas is a streaky shooter who can disappear at times. He also can be a lock down defender when he chooses to be but sometimes isn't as committed to it as other times. If he played defensively every game like he did against Buddy Hield then ISU wouldn't have so many guys killing it from deep against them.

Niang is one of the best players in the country but because of his limited athleticism and speed can also find himself neutralized in certain matchups. He's also a terrible defender. There is no one on the floor for Baylor that he could guard well.

Nader is also a matchup problem. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad. Because of his size, there are times where he also finds himself in a match up where he just can't do anything.

McKay is McKay. Watching him leave the floor yesterday after he fouled out seemed like a microcosm of his issues right now. He is just not accepting what his situation is at all and doesn't seem to have taken that next step to address his weaknesses or play to his strengths.

So individually, they are all very talented but collectively they find themselves is many situations where guys on the team are going to struggle to be able to play to their talent level. And having zero bench is flat out killing ISU. It basically forces them to play limited defense to avoid foul trouble.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Truth to this. Going back to Ejim and Kane's year. No one would trade Ejim, Kane, and Hogue for Nader, McKay, and Burton.

We, and the media, may have been over exaggerating the talent on this team.

That team also was very frustrating at times plus players like Matt and Monte have gotten significantly better since that year. Expectations were so much lower that year which I think is why people think that team was so much better. Truth is this year's team would never get blown out on the road like that squad.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU is very talented but each talented player has some issues. Except for Morris in my opinion who I would steal from your team in a second. Thomas is a streaky shooter who can disappear at times. He also can be a lock down defender when he chooses to be but sometimes isn't as committed to it as other times. If he played defensively every game like he did against Buddy Hield then ISU wouldn't have so many guys killing it from deep against them.

Niang is one of the best players in the country but because of his limited athleticism and speed can also find himself neutralized in certain matchups. He's also a terrible defender. There is no one on the floor for Baylor that he could guard well.

Nader is also a matchup problem. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad. Because of his size, there are times where he also finds himself in a match up where he just can't do anything.

McKay is McKay. Watching him leave the floor yesterday after he fouled out seemed like a microcosm of his issues right now. He is just not accepting what his situation is at all and doesn't seem to have taken that next step to address his weaknesses or play to his strengths.

So individually, they are all very talented but collectively they find themselves is many situations where guys on the team are going to struggle to be able to play to their talent level. And having zero bench is flat out killing ISU. It basically forces them to play limited defense to avoid foul trouble.

Matt Thomas really isn't a streaky shooter at all this year.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think our biggest issue is depth. We can still do damage in the tourney because we just need to win a few in a row but the lack of depth hurt or chance in what is a grind of a conference

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He doesn't "try" to be anything other than open; he was playing within the offense as you requested. The offense is "move the ball to an open guy and when he's open shoot it". You cannot force feed one person at all times late or you will just end up with forced shots and turnovers. Nader was open and hits a good percentage of open shots. It's insane for questioning a shot by a guy who had been killing it all night for 20+ points.

Niang was completely walled in by tall guys with long arms the last few possessions. Morris wasn't getting him the ball no matter how good a passer he is. If you want to argue whether or not they should have called a timeout and set up a play that didn't have Niang surrounded by tall guys then OK.

Good realistic assessment. It cracks me up that it had to come from an outsider's perspective.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Can't say I can disagree with any of this, especially the last paragraph. There's more than just "we're bad on defense", that allows Motley to have 2 career nights. It all adds up to a struggle.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think our biggest issue is depth. We can still do damage in the tourney because we just need to win a few in a row but the lack of depth hurt or chance in what is a grind of a conference

I have been holding onto the "we can still do damage in the tourney" for some time. Because, yes, we still enjoy watching this team ALOT of the time. And we are often efficient offensively. But I think its pretty clear our lack of size and bench help means every game will come down to the wire again, no matter who we play. So, its a crapshoot again. Front court defense and lack of bench issues aren't going away. We could lose first game again easily, or win 2 or 3. No way of knowing. Disappointed and hurting for our players/coaches/fans, yes, but I guess at least I won't be caught by surprise or unexpectedly crushed this time if a UAB happens.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Hard to see us making a run at the tourney with how bad we are defensively. We are about to fall in the 100's for defensive efficiency ranking and I don't think there has ever been a final 4 team that bad.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I have been holding onto the "we can still do damage in the tourney" for some time. Because, yes, we still enjoy watching this team ALOT of the time. And we are often efficient offensively. But I think its pretty clear our lack of size and bench help means every game will come down to the wire again, no matter who we play. So, its a crapshoot again. Front court defense and lack of bench issues aren't going away. We could lose first game again easily, or win 2 or 3. No way of knowing. Disappointed and hurting for our players/coaches/fans, yes, but I guess at least I won't be caught by surprise or unexpectedly crushed this time if a UAB happens.

This makes sense. Every game (except maybe tcu this weekend, and if we struggle there, then God help us) will be somewhat close the rest of the season. That's just how this team is.

In the NCAA tournament, I'll bet every game they play is close, and could go either way. How many games that is, depends on how they finish games.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Matt Thomas really isn't a streaky shooter at all this year.

Three straight games with only 1 three pointer made. On the heels of six straight games with 3+ threes made. Which was on the heels of three straight games with 2 or fewer threes made. So I guess I should say that his productivity from deep has been streaky.

Since Big 12 play started (including the A&M game), Iowa State is just 1-6 in games where Matt Thomas made 3 or fewer shots. They are 6-1 in games where he has made 4+ shots. ISU is best when they feed everyone, not just Niang.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Three straight games with only 1 three pointer made. On the heels of six straight games with 3+ threes made. Which was on the heels of three straight games with 2 or fewer threes made. So I guess I should say that his productivity from deep has been streaky.

Since Big 12 play started (including the A&M game), Iowa State is just 1-6 in games where Matt Thomas made 3 or fewer shots. They are 6-1 in games where he has made 4+ shots. ISU is best when they feed everyone, not just Niang.

That makes more sense. I think Matt just knows he's not one of the top options on the team so he just takes what the defense gives him.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
That makes more sense. I think Matt just knows he's not one of the top options on the team so he just takes what the defense gives him.

Matt has been very unselfish lately. Last night he passed up at least 2 shots that became Nader threes. The right call, BTW.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I believe this is a season where the fans should get a lot of the credit, at least the ones who go to the games. If it wasn't for the huge advantage of Hilton, this team probably doesn't beat Oklahoma or maybe even ku.

Without those two wins, we are squarely on the bubble, staring down a 19-11 season, with no big quality wins.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Under Fred, the product on the floor became good enough to beat anyone any given night. The difference between us and KU was recruiting. Fred and Co. did not put together a plan, or just did not execute a good recruiting strategy. Now we are thin. Seemingly the only person that can recruit to Ames is TJ Otzelberger.

KU, OU, Baylor, WVU are all deeper than we are.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
1 – Naz Long is missed

2 – Someone needs to tell Nader he is - at best - the 3rd or 4th option. My opinion - he more like the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] best player on the team. your opinion is wrong - he's start on 7 big 12 teams.

3 – Thomas and Morris are Juniors and contributed as underclassmen…where (or who) are the sophomores and Freshman on this team? Or – Who did ISU recruit the last 2 years? fred stopped recruiting. he hurt this team's depth. most people here acknowledge that.

4- Morris is one of the best point guards out there, but in the last 3-5 minutes of a close game, ISU needs to play thru Niang....give him the ball and let him make the decisions. yes