Random thoughts on the season....

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
1 – Naz Long is missed

2 – Someone needs to tell Nader he is - at best - the 3rd or 4th option. My opinion - he more like the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] best player on the team.

3 – Thomas and Morris are Juniors and contributed as underclassmen…where (or who) are the sophomores and Freshman on this team? Or – Who did ISU recruit the last 2 years?

4- Morris is one of the best point guards out there, but in the last 3-5 minutes of a close game, ISU needs to play thru Niang....give him the ball and let him make the decisions.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Who would if guessed we'd finish in the bottom half of the conference?
Hope we don't show up on the "biggest underachievers" ranking. It's due out soon.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Thinking back on season disappointments, in the last 10+ years the only team I've been disappointed in was Niang's sophmore season when he broke his foot. That was our year. Last year was tough but it didn't disappoint me like the loss of GN on what was going to be our time.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I don't have much problem with Nader, as long as he's playing within himself and the offense.

He's definitely not the 6th option. More like tied for 3rd with Thomas, depending on match ups and who's hot.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Thinking back on season disappointments, in the last 10+ years the only team I've been disappointed in was Niang's sophmore season when he broke his foot. That was our year. Last year was tough but it didn't disappoint me like the loss of GN on what was going to be our time.

Agree ++ I think we may have won it all that year if he did not break his foot

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I think this board is pretty insufferable most of the time, that's my big revelation this season. However, given that I'm on here most every day, I'm probably pretty obnoxious to those around me as well.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Niang - stud (because he was still in the process of breaking out, had Kane/Ejim to take away attention)
Kane - absolute man stud
Ejim - absolute man stud
Hogue - beast mode
Naz - Mr. Clutch
Thomas - still grasping Big 12 play, but serviceable
Morris - more than serviceable backup PG

But the team had no true big man. No rim protector. Edozie and Gibson were both 6'8" but played sparingly and were huge offensive liabilities.

That was still our best team from the Hoiberg era, IMO. Ejim, Kane, and Niang on the floor at the same time? Wowsers.

I apologize to you all for being at the game in which Niang broke his foot and forever ruined our toughness.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Niang - stud (because he was still in the process of breaking out, had Kane/Ejim to take away attention)
Kane - absolute man stud
Ejim - absolute man stud
Hogue - beast mode
Naz - Mr. Clutch
Thomas - still grasping Big 12 play, but serviceable
Morris - more than serviceable backup PG

But the team had no true big man. No rim protector. Edozie and Gibson were both 6'8" but played sparingly and were huge offensive liabilities.

That was still our best team from the Hoiberg era, IMO. Ejim, Kane, and Niang on the floor at the same time? Wowsers.

I apologize to you all for being at the game in which Niang broke his foot and forever ruined our toughness.

Morris was our starting PG all year; he wasn't a backup. Naz and Thomas were the ones coming off the bench all season.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Anyone who calls Nader the 6th best option can't be taken seriously.

3rd or 4th option for scoring. As far as best player: Niang and Morris are 1 and 2. IMO...Thomas is 3 based on better D and less mental lapses. As for 4-5-6....McKay, Nader, Burton ....Maybe 6th was a bit harsh - but is there much difference between those 3? In all fairness to Nader, he did have a good game today -and has had some good/great games this year....but so have McKay and Burton.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
3rd or 4th option for scoring. As far as best player: Niang and Morris are 1 and 2. IMO...Thomas is 3 based on better D and less mental lapses. As for 4-5-6....McKay, Nader, Burton ....Maybe 6th was a bit harsh - but is there much difference between those 3? In all fairness to Nader, he did have a good game today -and has had some good/great games this year....but so have McKay and Burton.

Yes. Burton is usually on, Nader is sometimes on, and McKay is never on.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Nader has been a solid 3rd/4th option most of this season.

I agree - and said the same in my original post. But - at times at the end of games he tries to be "the" option and create when he should defer to Niang or Morris and "play within the offense" and be the 3rd or 4th option.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Who would if guessed we'd finish in the bottom half of the conference?
Hope we don't show up on the "biggest underachievers" ranking. It's due out soon.

I disagree with the "biggest underachievers". Can't lose Hogue, BDJ, and Naz Mitrou Long while basically only adding Burton and be a better (or equal) team. Last years team beats this years team no matter who is coaching.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I disagree with the "biggest underachievers". Can't lose Hogue, BDJ, and Naz Mitrou Long while basically only adding Burton and be a better (or equal) team. Last years team beats this years team no matter who is coaching.

Truth to this. Going back to Ejim and Kane's year. No one would trade Ejim, Kane, and Hogue for Nader, McKay, and Burton.

We, and the media, may have been over exaggerating the talent on this team.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think this board is pretty insufferable most of the time, that's my big revelation this season. However, given that I'm on here most every day, I'm probably pretty obnoxious to those around me as well.

I'm on a few other blogs regularly, and for the most part this one is well-behaved, well-informed, and in many cases funny as hell (not to mention original). I was going to start a thread complimenting my fellow CF bloggers on that very thing, but I'll just mention it here and hope lots of them see it.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I agree - and said the same in my original post. But - at times at the end of games he tries to be "the" option and create when he should defer to Niang or Morris and "play within the offense" and be the 3rd or 4th option.

He doesn't "try" to be anything other than open; he was playing within the offense as you requested. The offense is "move the ball to an open guy and when he's open shoot it". You cannot force feed one person at all times late or you will just end up with forced shots and turnovers. Nader was open and hits a good percentage of open shots. It's insane for questioning a shot by a guy who had been killing it all night for 20+ points.

Niang was completely walled in by tall guys with long arms the last few possessions. Morris wasn't getting him the ball no matter how good a passer he is. If you want to argue whether or not they should have called a timeout and set up a play that didn't have Niang surrounded by tall guys then OK.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We wouldn't even have been in the game down the stretch if not for Nader last night, so not sure why the OP even starts in on him again. Yes, that one shot selection in overtime was bad, but the kickoff for his baseline '3' to put us ahead, he had been burying most of the night. Darn right he should have taken that shot. Just wish he and the rest of the guys could get more big time rebounds, especially at crunch time. And, yes, Fred's teams had the same issue. Kinda like getting enough on the DLine in fb, we struggle to get bigs. Just think....we're guarding big guys down low with a non explosive player in Niang, a 6'4" Burton, and McKay(on a good night). Now take McKay out (or he fouls out) and its no wonder we can't get key rebounds. Or we end up helping so much on 'D', and the kickouts are wide open 3's. Compare that to KU, who can throw Traylor, Lucas, Ellis, Bragg, and Diallo in there. Not even comparable.