Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I lost my car keys making barista drinks last year. My GM and I were in that spot for 5 hours once I got back from making deliveries. We tore that area apart, the trash area apart, and he even climbed into the dumpster that day and the next to look.

Glad you found everything. That stuff's expensive.

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me had a story of a story last week on a popular Chinese place that was oddly slow one night. The phone had been accidentally packed into someone's ToGo order.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I lost my car keys making barista drinks last year. My GM and I were in that spot for 5 hours once I got back from making deliveries. We tore that area apart, the trash area apart, and he even climbed into the dumpster that day and the next to look.

Glad you found everything. That stuff's expensive.

On the mantle of my head of my bed. This morning I was frantically looking and while going to work I remembered pulling stuff out of my pocket before taking a nap yesterday.

I need to get a wallet and a tile for my wallet. I have a tile for my keys and I have to use it daily.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me had a story of a story last week on a popular Chinese place that was oddly slow one night. The phone had been accidentally packed into someone's ToGo order.

I hope not on this one. Nobody called to complain.

Best as we could figure, they somehow got thrown away. We don't know how, though, because I was literally making drinks and washing dishes for that whole 5 hours, outside of turning around to check orders. There was never a reason why I would have taken them out of my pocket, or even reached anywhere near my pants.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I purchased my home last spring, the property is "split" into a 4-acre "homestead" and a 6-acre "field". The "homestead" portion of my property tax assessment value skyrocketed 200% to match the purchase price I paid for the entire property, the 6-acre field independently raised in "assessed value" by 50%.

Apparently, the constant winds deposited much more dirt in my field than I'd realized. :jimlad:
They value our lots (we have 2 together) at 40K. Kiddy cornered from us is the new development in our town. They move so well that they are giving them away to get people to build. So technically the value is maybe a couple bucks.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been lying low socially for a few years so registered for an ISUAA alumni thingie in April at Surly Brewery with Jeff and peeps from Ames coming up for a Celebrate ISU sort of outing. Was $20 so was wondering how many of the local alumni would pony up (Cyclones are notoriously cheap). And it's canceled due to low registration. So, back to hermit life. #disappointed

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hope not on this one. Nobody called to complain.

Best as we could figure, they somehow got thrown away. We don't know how, though, because I was literally making drinks and washing dishes for that whole 5 hours, outside of turning around to check orders. There was never a reason why I would have taken them out of my pocket, or even reached anywhere near my pants.
I hadn't been working very long at a job right out of college. They hung a voice pager on me because this was when cell phones were still not totally ubiquitous. My boss would call my pager from his cell phone and tell me what to do. I would hear his voice and I wasn't able to talk back to him. He loved it and I hated it. Well part of the job was to drive the facility's garbage truck to the landfill once in a great while. One time apparently the pager worked its way off my belt while I sat in the truck and then fell out when I opened the door at the landfill. Everyone was convinced I lost that damned thing on purpose because I hated it so much.

The best part was I got a promotion at that job before they could replace it so I never had to wear one again.

Reactions: CycloneErik

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Been lying low socially for a few years so registered for an ISUAA alumni thingie in April at Surly Brewery with Jeff and peeps from Ames coming up for a Celebrate ISU sort of outing. Was $20 so was wondering how many of the local alumni would pony up (Cyclones are notoriously cheap). And it's canceled due to low registration. So, back to hermit life. #disappointed
The funny is not for having go back to hermit life, but for you calling the cancelation correctly. If the event included 2 beers it was a ok deal, 1 beer and it would have been sort of ok. But $20 and no snacks or booze, yeah that isn't cutting it unless they were donating the proceeds to something local to build good will.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@wxman1 did you see the gal on her 3rd solo flight nose wheel fell off on take off. Another pilot saw it called the tower and then hung around to talk her down. It was on ABC national news tonight. Cool story. She is going to keep flying she says.

• Love
Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
@wxman1 did you see the gal on her 3rd solo flight nose wheel fell off on take off. Another pilot saw it called the tower and then hung around to talk her down. It was on ABC national news tonight. Cool story. She is going to keep flying she says.
Just looked it up. She did great!

• Agree

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So who is responsible for the maintenance of the aircraft (I would assume the owner?) the nose gear falling off is kind of a big deal IMO.
Generally yes. Assuming nothing was failed/missing that she missed in her preflight inspection yes it would fall on the owner/operator. I can’t think of what would have failed or been missing that I would obviously catch in a preflight. I am more looking at the tires than is the tire actually connected to the plane.

• Informative

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Unlocked a new level of the game of aging.

Plucked a completely white eyebrow hair out today. Took another 12 hairs or so along with it, but was finally able to remove it.

• Friendly

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Unlocked a new level of the game of aging.

Plucked a completely white eyebrow hair out today. Took another 12 hairs or so along with it, but was finally able to remove it.
Huh. Plenty of white in my hair, but so far, no white eyebrows. I didn't really even know that was a thing. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.