Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone ever give you directions using "sees"? I haven't but a buddy of mine told me about it. I think he was in Boston asking for directions and the guy kept telling him things like "you turn left and then go 3 sees then turn right, go 1 see and it should be on your left." Apparently a "see" is how far you can see so after you turn left you find a landmark the farthest you can see in that direction - gas station at the top of the next hill. When you get there it is one "see". Then you find the next landmark as far as you can see - that'll be the second "see", and so on. Craziest thing I have ever heard.

Living in my hood since 1986. Worked on the house next door as a carpenter in 1979-80. So should know the street names. If you gave me a map of the area I could probably correctly right down maybe four street names, five tops. For a guy that can talk a lot I'm still mostly internally a "visual" versus "verbal" in the way my brain organizes stuff.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Niece was driving through on way back from Iowa to Montana. Did a drive by parking lot meetup so I could give the kids some Easter chocolate. Thought you all would be amused at my choice of locales, Total Wine. Well, it is just off 494/393 and allowed them to skirt the traffic of trying to come to my digs during rush hour.

Reactions: NWICY

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Niece was driving through on way back from Iowa to Montana. Did a drive by parking lot meetup so I could give the kids some Easter chocolate. Thought you all would be amused at my choice of locales, Total Wine. Well, it is just off 494/393 and allowed them to skirt the traffic of trying to come to my digs during rush hour.

That place is my wife's family's Mecca, always have to stop in whenever they're remotely in the area.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That place is my wife's family's Mecca, always have to stop in whenever they're remotely in the area.

We were the only peeps there not stocking up on booze. Have been there though, obviously, and used their online buying and curbside pickup. Easy-peasy and you don't have to wonder around in that giant warehouse looking for what you want.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Need to get motivated somehow. Teetering between boring to death and just plan depressed.
I'm with you, really not liking the work thingy today. Slowly and methodically killing time and picking away at the project. Right now I may be the only source of income for the boss on the side gig. Dude has no savings, his business knowledge is what he learned in first grade it appears.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I read once that beer was "invented" in a similar way. A bunch of grain being stored for future use somehow got wet and soaked for awhile and fermented. By the time the people got to it to use, the grain was ruined but they decided to drink the liquid and they liked it enough to recreate it, alter the "recipe" created beer.

Could be total bs but that's what I read once and it stuck.
I read somewhere that the people in Europe drank a lot of beer, because the process of making it purified the water -- which was otherwise undrinkable.

Reactions: SCyclone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So, we're skipping a math review to try something more advanced today.
We thought we'd play around with a Khan Academy thing, just for fun. The 2nd grade preview is fun for her, but she's making it look really easy.

Also, we're messing around because she doesn't even watch the class videos anymore. It's too easy and she's bored. She listens for a minute, hits pause, then does the worksheet. She looks interested today.

Now, make the story longer: we had a teacher attempt to open up beginning of the year 2nd grade videos for Z. I guess that's not allowed because she might run out of things to do this year or next year.
But, well, that's gonna happen anyway. Also, she's getting cocky.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So, we're skipping a math review to try something more advanced today.
We thought we'd play around with a Khan Academy thing, just for fun. The 2nd grade preview is fun for her, but she's making it look really easy.

Also, we're messing around because she doesn't even watch the class videos anymore. It's too easy and she's bored. She listens for a minute, hits pause, then does the worksheet. She looks interested today.

Now, make the story longer: we had a teacher attempt to open up beginning of the year 2nd grade videos for Z. I guess that's not allowed because she might run out of things to do this year or next year.
But, well, that's gonna happen anyway. Also, she's getting cocky.

It's not cocky if it's true!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I should have started counting a long time ago: how many ways can people "explain" why they think CSP should be fired? Ugh. You aren't convincing anyone and you're saying nothing new. Just stop.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Decided to make beef stew. Slow walked the prep listening listening to smooth jazz and 2nd guessing the recipe five times so am a little off on serving time. Late supper or maybe just tomorrows supper.

Guess I am on "vacation time" even though not in Mexico this season. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.