Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yesterday I mowed and bagged up the leaves in the front and side. Now I have to do the back where the majority of leaves are. While I hate stopping the mower constantly to empty the bag, it's still better then raking.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yesterday I mowed and bagged up the leaves in the front and side. Now I have to do the back where the majority of leaves are. While I hate stopping the mower constantly to empty the bag, it's still better then raking.

Once all of the snow melts I'll have to make my annual fall roof trek. North facing roof still has a couple inches of snow on it. Well, a couple of inches of snow plus leaves. Even if it hits high forties like they forecast I'm not sure this will melt until spring.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Once all of the snow melts I'll have to make my annual fall roof trek. North facing roof still has a couple inches of snow on it. Well, a couple of inches of snow plus leaves. Even if it hits high forties like they forecast I'm not sure this will melt until spring.
It doesn't help if the sun never hits it. The snow we had on Monday was gone from the front early Tuesday. Had to wait till Wednesday for the stuff to melt in the back when it warmed up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to be doing some of that tomorrow.

Now rethinking everything. I had forgotten about the pending apocalypse and inevitable anarchy. Doing leaves is pointless.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
If I kept every piece of political mail since I started getting it, the stack would probably be 6 feet high. I'm also getting triple the amount because 2 people lived here before me since the last election. I feel bad for the the mail lady because she has to deliver all that, even though it's the wrong addressee.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I know much of that movie by heart, and it always makes me laugh, but it's a guilty pleasure. There is NO way that movie could be made today.

There are a lot of movies that are that way. Animal House and Blazing Saddles come to mind most often for me.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
JC, what do you think about the whole School Board decision on extra-curricular activities? It seems the media certainly are out for blood on it. I watched Jana Shortal taking it to someone from the district the other day. They are really trying to crucify them over it.

I guess I don't think that it should be all or nothing. My daughter does Nordic. If you can't socially distance in that sport, I'm not sure there is one you can. Archery or rifle maybe?
I'm with you. I don't have a huge problem with it. It's really hard to take that much away from the kids. That being said, and as much as I enjoy the sport, basketball is going to be a really tough one to socially distance at all. Last I heard, they weren't even going to let parents into the gyms for basketball games.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
When you're just sitting there, minding your own business, and your left eye just decides that it needs to itch...like an eyelash or something got in it.

meh.

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

NDY! Among COVID, politics, wedding planning, internships, and school I really haven't had the time or desire to be on the internet much. I'll try to give the highlights of what have been a crazy year but fair warning it might get a bit long.

When school went online last spring I pretty much didn't leave my little cabin in the woods unless it was to go to my fiancée's house for the weekend. I've always been a total introvert who daydreams of living off the land in the middle of nowhere so quarantine didn't bother me much.

I worked at my regular Civil Engineering internship in the Okoboji area this summer and got to take the lead on a residential street reconstruction project which was really cool. I can't think of a better way to learn than to run a real life project and be trusted to make the right decisions when the contractors need you.

Last Christmas, my fiancée's family planned their dream vacation to Disney World in August. All summer we debated whether or not we should go and, right or wrong, we decided that the crowds would be small enough and the restrictions in the parks were good enough that we were comfortable going (not to mention the deposits we would lose if we canceled). It ended up being the best vacation we could have asked for. There was almost no one at the airports, and the parks were virtually empty. We were there for a full week and got to go to every park plus Universal Studios for a day. The longest line we had to wait in for the whole trip was maybe 30 minutes but for the majority of the time we could just walk on to whatever ride we wanted. We rode rides that usually have 3 hour waits (Flight of Passage, Smuggler's Run, Tower of Terror, etc.) back-to-back-to-back with no lines which was almost a surreal experience. We felt totally safe while we were there which was I think my biggest surprise. Everyone in the parks wore their masks and there were so many hand sanitizing stations you never had to walk more than 10 steps to get to one. Plus, they had you sanitize before and after you rode rides anyway which would probably be your most likely place to be exposed. They were also really good about stopping the rides periodically and sanitizing them. The plane rides were the only part that made us nervous since Sun Country wasn't very strict about making people keep their masks on on the plane. We made it back and no one got sick so we considered the trip a success.

This semester has been tough. My class load credit-wise isn't terrible but with a lot of my classes online and looking forward to getting married it's really hard to stay motivated. I also feel like I have way more homework and projects this semester compared to others which might just be the classes I'm in or it could be the professors trying to make up for students not being in class in person.

Our wedding was planned for next Saturday (Nov. 7th) and all was going to plan, until my fiancée tested positive for COVID on Monday. She started having very mild symptoms last week but she's prone to get colds when the weather changes rapidly and her symptoms were the ones that they say are some of the less common ones for COVID so we didn't think much of it. But, this past weekend she lost her taste and smell and that's when we knew she needed to go get tested. I have tested negative twice this week so somehow I have escaped uninfected. It's crazy to me that we went to Disney and didn't get it but she probably got it from going to the grocery store while wearing her mask and using sanitizer. Then I was with her while she was contagious and we weren't distancing from each other and yet I didn't get it. It's crazy how this virus works and how little we know about it. Anyway, based on when her symptoms started today is her last day of isolation but we just didn't feel comfortable having our wedding as planned, even though we were already requiring masks and social distancing. So, we decided to change course and just have a small ceremony in the little country church where we got engaged with only immediate family and our wedding party in attendance. We are looking at rescheduling our reception to the spring sometime but who knows if things will be any different by then. Honestly, we were never in it for the party; we just wanted to be married. But, it's definitely disappointing knowing that we won't get to celebrate with all of our friends and family.

So, now we are preparing for our little wedding in the vale and getting ready to start our lives together. I hope all has been well with the RTT gang; it may seem small but it was very heartwarming to log in and see that a group of complete strangers hadn't forgotten about you.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Nice to see you pop in! I hope for you:
a) that your fiancee gets better quickly with no lingering effects
b) that no one else in your circle (including you) contracts it
c) that you motivate yourself enough to complete the semester and eventually, your degree
d) that your wedding goes off without a hitch (har, har)
e) that you have a long, healthy, happy life with your new wife

BEST WISHES!!!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Get yourself one of these. I wouldn't do leaves without one.
1604144109700.png
Black & Deck Leaf Hog. Doubles as a blower also.

Status
Not open for further replies.