Purdy ESPN Heisman List #7

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Troy deserved it but the team didn't have enough wins to get the voters to pay attention. Every damn person in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball and still couldn't stop him. Hopefully Brock's teams will have enough wins to let him stay in contention.

I'm convinced Troy lost because ISU didn't have very many wins. I think if they had won even two more games that season he would have won it. Florida was pretty good that year, and Wuerffel dominated the South region voting.

• Agree
Reactions: scratch

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I remember TD would injure people on runs. Not just DBs but linebackers and linemen. I don't think I've ever seen a RB truck people the way TD did.
The pads they wore then looked so huge too

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The biggest crime against Troy wasn't getting snubbed in the Heisman. I don't think Troy was even awarded 1st Team All-Big 12... They gave it to the RB from Texas Tech instead (who also had a great year)

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The biggest crime against Troy wasn't getting snubbed in the Heisman. I don't think Troy was even awarded 1st Team All-Big 12... They gave it to the RB from Texas Tech instead (who also had a great year)

Troy was first team all Big 8 in 95, first team all Big 12 in 96 and the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year in 96. He was actually a consensus first team All American both those years

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and xboxfever

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

I think you're mixing up the awards. Byron Hanspard, RB from TT, won the Doak Walker award (which goes to the best RB) over Davis.

• Informative
Reactions: dualthreat

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Christian McCaffrey was an incredible player and would have been a worthy Heisman Winner. There are often multiple players who would be. FWIW, Derrick Henry Broke or Tied records held by Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Mark Ingram AND Tim Tebow (Heisman Trophy Winners all) in his Heisman winning season. It's not like he was unworthy.
But the edge goes to someone the east coast sees regularly. Population and viewership distribution matters, as does the entirety of the south voting for Danny Wuerfel as a bloc, in Troy Davis's case. McCaffrey was undervalued nationally that year because his games were on late and because Bama's dynasty and hype was at its peak. Henry was a great player, but McCaffrey was dynamic and irreplaceable in that no one in CFB could do what he was doing. He deserved to win.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Honestly, as far as the Heisman goes, Brock actually has a pretty clear (albeit difficult) path to win it. Go beat Oklahoma and Texas (and win out) and that trophy might be his.