Prohm needs coaching help

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Saw this stat on Twitter regarding Bill Self in close conference games. Since 2016 Self is 36-3 in conference games decided by 10 points or less.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
It is not the end of the game I am worried about. It is the first 37 minutes. We have absolutely no offensive system. The only thing we do is pick and roll using the post. My daughters 2nd grade BB team had more offensive plays. There is no motion offense at all. No off the ball screens. No back or L cuts. We also have no post play with our back to the basket. We don't even post up up our 1-4 guys if there is a mismatch. We have no inside out game unless it is off a drive. We did a good job with the full court press in the first half. Then we went away from it for no reason. We walk the ball up the court when we have 4 guards in the game. My junior high daughter was constantly yelling at NWB to run the ball up the court. We have no out-of-bounds play that can score a basket. And we have no set play for the end of the shot clock (or end of the game) if we need a basket. These are simple things that CSP should have. I don't get it.

I agree with most of this except, I do worry about the last 3 minutes. For instance in the last 2 games of which we lost, we took the air out of the ball with about 3 minutes left and a small lead. We wait until about 9 seconds left to actually move and get no good shots. With the advent of the 35 second clock there is virtually no reason to try and run clock instead of just running your offense. Yes maybe have more detailed instructions about not firing up a quick shot or just take wide open shots...but running the clock down to the end is not helping us in anyway. The only reason to run the clock down is to get a last shot at half or end of the game with the scored tied.

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
The original post is an early candidate for dumbest post of the year already. First off Coach put these guys in a position to win that game but the players did not execute when it mattered the most. I hate ripping on players but let's call a spade a spade here, we left potentially 4 points out there missing the front end of 1 and 1 free throws with Conditt and Wigginton. Then Wigginton was the guy that was guarding the player that drove right by him and hit what was the game winning shot without much of a challenge. That's just poor execution there, make at least the front end of those 1 and 1 situations and play some better defense on KSU's last possessions and we wouldn't have had a melt down here Saturday night.

Also, what do you consider an "experienced" lineup? This team is very heavy with underclassmen that are still gaining experience. It would be dumb to play Haliburton and THT less just because they are freshmen when both are probably 2 of the top 5 players on the roster talent wise. If you went with the "most experienced players" here is your lineup:

Talley - SR (is he really any better than our underclassmen?)
NWB - SR
Shayok - SR
Jacobson - JR (many here already have been calling for him to play less)
Young - JR is now redshirting so take your pick of Wigginton, Lewis, and Lard who are sophomores

Haliburton deserves to be out there and he's probably one of our best defenders right now too. He's leading this team in steals at 2.1 a game, after him its THT at 1.4 and NWB 1.3 Shayok 1.1. All those guys have deserved the minutes they are getting. Let's look at 3pt%, well Haliburton is leading us there too at .468 and shooting .557 from FG too, THT you can argue if he's not hitting his shots needs to sit more for someone else but there are times he gets hot and you just have to keep him in there.

I hope Wigginton gets it figured out soon but right now he's struggling with his shot and his defense was less than stellar both at Baylor and against KSU and you can make the case we have played worse with him on the floor than without him so far. The good thing is the mistakes this team are making are execution issues that can be corrected and are coachable moments that can be worked on in practice. Prohm can't shoot the free throws for them or defend players in key situations. Just like in football this year, players need to pay attention to key details and execute as many times the margin of error is small and the team that makes the least mistakes puts themselves in better position to win close games. I love what I heard on the radio after the game when Heft mentioned the first thing Conditt said after taking off the headset was "man I've gotta hit that FT." He knows that was miss was a key moment and it was refreshing to hear that from a freshman he knows it and probably is something that is going to motivate him to work on.

The only move I questioned in the closing minutes of the game is why wasn't Conditt in instead of Jacobsen defensively? He is more athletic and more of a rim protector, I get it he's inexperienced and not as good of a FT shooter but it's not like Jacobsen is a great FT shooter himself at .672. and we went on our run when Conditt was in the game.

Winner*****

• Winner
Reactions: Seedman

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Didn't Fred get fired because he lost too many games coaching the Bulls?

Lost a couple of close games.

Sitting here watch Duke struggle at home against Syracuse, FSU struggle at Pitt
Cuse throws up a 25 footer in a tie game, had a couple of seconds left to get a better shot, cannot believe Boheim drew that one up. Afraid Duke gonna pull this out now

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Duke with what one might call a bad offensive plan in the last 45 seconds.

Twice in a row with a reset shot clock too.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We need to remember we finished 10th in the conference last year. I can live with 6th or better and a tourney appearance, regardless of seed. Heading in the right direction.

If we miss the dance, then I'm going to start to question Prohm's ability to get it done at this level, but until then, I still view him as a solid coach.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We need to remember we finished 10th in the conference last year. I can live with 6th or better and a tourney appearance, regardless of seed. Heading in the right direction.
A coach finishing last in a conference in his 3rd year doesn’t lower the grading of what’s set up to be a peak year in terms of roster construction.

I remember when McD sucked so badly that .500 in conference play seemed banner worthy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Duke will be in major trouble if Tre misses extended time. He's vital to their success. Probably the second most important player on the team behind Zion.

Major trouble like maybe not get to the Final Four, sure.

Duke's problems are first-world problems of college basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
In your attempt to defend Prohm, you’re also essentially giving some credence to the crowd that wonders if we know much about Prohm as a coach at this level due to having experienced and well trained Morris, Georges, etc.
In your attempt to defend Prohm, you’re also essentially giving some credence to the crowd that wonders if we know much about Prohm as a coach at this level due to having experienced and well trained Morris, Georges, etc.
That's a valid point. Morris and Niang did start under Fred. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the year progresses. I do support CSP but if we're still having mental lapses and not playing consistent and with energy at the end of the year then that will tell us alot.