Prohm is 9-16 at ISU

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
It's at the end of the video. IMO, he had a decent look. The defender at least got a hand up.

I'm not sure if you were trying to compare the situations, but TCU clearly wouldn't foul in that scenario and give Haliburton 2 free throws with the chance to tie it. Their only sensible option was to defend.
Well our guy wasn't going to foul up 3 and there were 3.5 seconds left. I think we expected him to drive closer. But whatever helps.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I did an analysis last year and what this doesn't take into account is how you end games. Basically, if a game was close in the last couple minutes, Prohm's teams won about 50% of the time. Its just that oftentimes his teams were able to pull away and win by about 5-10 points, so looking at the final score, it didn't seem close. Not nearly as often did the opponent pull away at the end.

I went back and found my data.

I considered any game that was within 5 points between the 5 minute mark and 30 second mark. The way I see it, if the game is tied with 4 minutes left and you lose by 12, that should count against you as how you fare in close games. Alternatively, if you win by 12, that should be seen as doing a great job closing out games.

Based on that, here are the stats

2015-2016
Overall: 23-12 (65%)
5 point final margin: 4-6 (40%)
within 5 points late: 8-10 (44%)

2016-2017 -
Overall: 24-11 (68%)
5 point final margin: 7-6 (53%)
Within 5 points late: 11-7 (61%)

2017-2018
Overall: 13-18 (41%)
5 pt games: 1-3 (25%)
close games: 5-4 (55%)

2018-2019
Overall: 23-12 (66%)
5 pt games: 5-6 (45%)
close games: 8-7 (53%)

2019-2020 (through Jan 8)
Overall:7-6 (54%)
5 pt games: 0-2 (0%)
close games: 1-3 (25%)

What you can see is a pretty clear trend. If you only look at the final score when determining what a close game is, Prohm's record is below average (43%). However, if you look at any game that was close in the final 5 minutes, his record is basically average (52%). Overall he has a 60% winning percentage.

What that tells me is that Prohm's ISU teams are average in close games, but if you only look at the final score, it seems like his teams are way below average.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even in the Hoiberg years, the opposition shoots at least 80% from three when we're up by 3 in those final seconds.

I'd rather only have a two point lead to be honest.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Floyd was working the clock once we got an 8-4 lead.

Start posting Kenny Pratt around the top of the free throw line, and let him back his way to the basket. Sean Bankhead and JC Holiway would clear out and start playing defense.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I did an analysis last year and what this doesn't take into account is how you end games. Basically, if a game was close in the last couple minutes, Prohm's teams won about 50% of the time. Its just that oftentimes his teams were able to pull away and win by about 5-10 points, so looking at the final score, it didn't seem close. Not nearly as often did the opponent pull away at the end.[/

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It's at the end of the video. IMO, he had a decent look. The defender at least got a hand up.

I'm not sure if you were trying to compare the situations, but TCU clearly wouldn't foul in that scenario and give Haliburton 2 free throws with the chance to tie it. Their only sensible option was to defend.
Yeah not comparable situations, just thinking we got a better look than they did and who gets credit if he makes that.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Bill Self is damn lucky then because he is between 41-11 Over the last 4.5 years in games decided by 6 points or less (including all OT games). Some is luck and some is coaching.

Other Big 12 coaches in last 4.5 years
Scott Drew 27-22
Bob Huggins 23-16
Chris Beard 19-16 (3.5 seasons)
Lon Krueger 28-24
Bruce Webber 25-23
Jamie Dixon 22-20 (3.5 seasons)
Mike Boynton 13-13 (2.5 seasons)
Steve Prohm 22-31
Shaka Smart 29-34

Well this shows a pretty good indication of the good and average coaches in this league if you ask me.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yeah not comparable situations, just thinking we got a better look than they did and who gets credit if he makes that.

To be clear, I'm not blaming Prohm for that play. I think it's clear he wanted a foul and we didn't execute.

I know it's likely selective memory, but I feel like I've seen enough ISU basketball over the years to know that a three at the end of the game is going to go in way more than it should against us. It probably doesn't, but it sure ******* feels like it does.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
While a running 30 footer is never an ideal shot, it was as clean of a look as you could hope for given the situation. We didn't even put a hand up.

3:56 mark

Watching this again I see no plan for fouling. Nembhard was free to get to the the three point line once Bolton was picked off. No way can you expect Conditt to get to him and you don't want to risk fouling on a three point shot. I would of fouled at half court even with five seconds on the clock if that was your plan. Only real chance of losing would of been that they make first miss the second and throw out for a three. A lot would of had to go right for them.

After watching this again I feel even worse about Prohm's coaching ability. You let their hottest player advance the ball with token pressure and get up a fairly straight shot while in rhythm. Should of at least tried to deny him the ball or double teamed him and have someone else try to beat you.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Watching this again I see no plan for fouling. Nembhard was free to get to the the three point line once Bolton was picked off. No way can you expect Conditt to get to him and you don't want to risk fouling on a three point shot. I would of fouled at half court even with five seconds on the clock if that was your plan. Only real chance of losing would of been that they make first miss the second and throw out for a three. A lot would of had to go right for them.

After watching this again I feel even worse about Prohm's coaching ability. You let their hottest player advance the ball with token pressure and get up a fairly straight shot while in rhythm. Should of at least tried to deny him the ball or double teamed him and have someone else try to beat you.

No plan for fouling!?! You mean other than Prohm literally slapping his arm in the universal "foul him" language? You can even seen Halliburton give the signal after the shot goes in.

Clearly the plan was to foul and it wasn't executed very well.

upload_2020-1-8_16-32-2.png

Personally, I don't really care if they foul or don't foul. If the plan was to foul, Conditt needed to be with his man like glue so that he could foul as soon as the screen is set. That was poor execution.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
No plan for fouling!?! You mean other than Prohm literally slapping his arm in the universal "foul him" language? You can even seen Halliburton give the signal after the shot goes in.

View attachment 69610

Personally, I don't really care if they foul or don't foul. If the plan was to foul, Conditt needed to be with his man like glue so that he could foul as soon as the screen is set. That was poor execution.
I agree with this version, th was clearly looking at conditt as conditt raised his hands in a questioning manner. Too far away to get there and foul without fouling the shot.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

If you foul, the don't need a 3 after a missed free throw to win. If they hit a 2 and go into overtime, you can still lose.

You are correct, though, the only way to prevent losing in Regulation is to not foul.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Sorry if already posted but I thought someone did an analysis of recent games that were within 3 points at the 4 minute mark. To me that was more interesting since (to me) it gave a better idea of coaching down the line in a close game without excluding games where one team pulled away.

Edit: This has already been brought up! I should read the thread first.

I haven't gone back to 2015-16 yet because it is time consuming but these are interesting numbers.

Margin is 5 or less at the 4:00 minute mark
2019-2020 1-3
2018-2019 6-7
2017-2018 3-4
2016-2017 9-5

Overall 19-19

Margin is 3 or less at the 2:00 minute mark (essentially one possession game)
2019-20 0-3
2018-19 5-7
2017-18 2-3
2016-17 6-5

Overall 13-18

• Informative
Reactions: Jacktronic

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

View attachment 69610

Wasn't executed well or not drawn up well or not communicated well. Conditt wasn't the guy to be in that position unless you wanted him to try to alter the shot. He wasn't quick enough to get there. Someone quicker should of met him closer to half court.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Whether to foul or not to foul is a matter of coach preference- not sure there is a right answer.

For me the real issue was on TCU's last 2 possessions, both times the guy guarding the dribbler got stuck on the screen. On the shot for OT, in that area of the court the guy guarding the screener has to be screaming a pick is coming. The guard has to avoid the screen to keep quick on quick.

That said, Conditt was way too slow to the shooter to foul or contest.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26