Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I believe the menace are staying so 0% chance it will be the Menace. I believe ProIowa has a website to submit name ideas.

Not sure if the club will or should have a name like 'Menace' or a traditional type of sports team nickname, some USL clubs do some don't... Louisville City FC, FC Tulsa, San Antonio FC, etc. Others take on the name of a major sponsor like United, Red Bulls, etc. They might just leave it at Pro Iowa FC or something, which I'd kind of prefer.

Reactions: DSMCy

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Doesn’t it really fall on US Soccer to force it? They run all soccer in the country and could theoretically force them to do relegation. Otherwise they won’t but relegation would help the sport grow in the US IMO.
From what I understand, none of the MLS teams are willing to risk relegation and I think the league might be owned by the teams if I’m not mistaken? There is an article out there somewhere. Relegation is the one thing US soccer needs most. How much more of a vested interest would there be in a city like Des Moines if you had the chance to have a true professional team.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Not sure if the club will or should have a name like 'Menace' or a traditional type of sports team nickname, some USL clubs do some don't... Louisville City FC, FC Tulsa, San Antonio FC, etc. Others take on the name of a major sponsor like United, Red Bulls, etc. They might just leave it at Pro Iowa FC or something, which I'd kind of prefer.
100% agree. Not sure I like Pro Iowa but it’s not the worst choice. Something traditional would get my vote.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
MLS is a single entity league. There are franchises and individual owners, but technically speaking the league owns and runs everything.

As much as I want there to be pro/rel in the US, it’s just not going to happen. The franchise fees just keep going up, the 28th and 29th clubs are expected to pay $200m to join and the 30th goes up to $325m. Owners are not going to invest that kind of cash and then willingly agree to subject themselves to the threat of relegation.

I should clarify, I do think USL’s goal is to have pro/rel across their divisions. I just don’t think MLS will ever agree to participate.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
From what I understand, none of the MLS teams are willing to risk relegation and I think the league might be owned by the teams if I’m not mistaken? There is an article out there somewhere. Relegation is the one thing US soccer needs most. How much more of a vested interest would there be in a city like Des Moines if you had the chance to have a true professional team.

Agreed. Purely from a franchise owners perspective...what's the upside to losing the thing you already have? Sure, you could drive more long term success for the country and sport as a whole but that is a big gamble. You are essentially asking individuals to take risk for the better of the whole. That's not a very popular stance right now. Takes a real culture shift to support something like that and culture is not easy to change without great leadership.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I agree MLS would never agree but my understanding is US Soccer is the sanctioning entity of all soccer in the US. If them or FIFA said your going to do this or we won’t sanction you then that might force them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
MLS is a single entity league. There are franchises and individual owners, but technically speaking the league owns and runs everything.

As much as I want there to be pro/rel in the US, it’s just not going to happen. The franchise fees just keep going up, the 28th and 29th clubs are expected to pay $200m to join and the 30th goes up to $325m. Owners are not going to invest that kind of cash and then willingly agree to subject themselves to the threat of relegation.

I should clarify, I do think USL’s goal is to have pro/rel across their divisions. I just don’t think MLS will ever agree to participate.
I agree.

Beyond the ownership issue there are some rules in the MLS that would make relegation and (especially) promotion difficult. MLS has some pretty ambitious rules about stadia. An MLS stadium has to be "soccer specific". That is no venues that are primarily a baseball or American football stadium. They have allowed teams to start in an American football stadium in the past but all new stadia have to be soccer specific. In addition there are capacity requirements for MLS stadia. Most USL stadia, even at the Championship level, would not qualify.

In addition, I believe part of the deal for getting ownership groups and cities to build these soccer specific stadia is assurance that the club playing there will never be subject to relegation.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I would be surprised if the Menace as is stays around. I think the USL new Des Moines team will be the only one. Krause also owns a team in Seria in Italy, I think his days of a College Amatuer group team is over. He will put his money into the new stadium and the new USL team, not the current one. So I think a new owner would need to be found for the Menace as they are today continues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is a bit of a tangent, but up here in Minnesota they announced the name of their new women's semi-pro soccer team. The Minnesota Aurora FC will play in the new USL W league starting this spring.

minnesota-aurora-logo.jpg

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I would be surprised if the Menace as is stays around. I think the USL new Des Moines team will be the only one. Krause also owns a team in Seria in Italy, I think his days of a College Amatuer group team is over. He will put his money into the new stadium and the new USL team, not the current one. So I think a new owner would need to be found for the Menace as they are today continues.

I think someone will keep the Menace going and fully expect it to be Krause, but the days of anyone going to those games are over. Soccer is full of owners who operate a ton of teams with the desire to link them in a development structure similar to minor league baseball. Krause talks about his desire for Pro Iowa to serve as a training ground for Parma players and you can bet the same thing will happen with the Menace for Pro Iowa.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Shagcarpet is exactly right. From google below. This is why I think USL could give the MLS a run for their money in the long run.

Any channce of friendlies with MLS teams? Would be cool to get a home game agains KC or Minnesota.

“MLS owners are currently protected as a closed league with fixed membership and one of the few leagues in the world that does not use promotion and relegation. ... Since MLS clubs share revenue, they are incentivized to control costs and to protect their investments as part of a single-entity ownership system.”

Reactions: Steubs24

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I would hope it does or at least transitions into the academy system for this new team. That's the secret to success for a lot of teams, a robust academy system.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is a bit of a tangent, but up here in Minnesota they announced the name of their new women's semi-pro soccer team. The Minnesota Aurora FC will play in the new USL W league starting this spring.

minnesota-aurora-logo.jpg

Solid logo. Twin Cities has a pretty robust ad/brand agency scene, lots of serious design talent up there. Not sure if it was a local house that did this work but it wouldn't surprise me.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Will this team be eligible for US Open Cup? Would be huge to make it far enough to get an MLS team in.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Pro/rel would be nice. I do think the single entity structure accelerated investment in the sport. Maybe a pro/rel league could stay afloat if it started today with modern interest in the game, but even ten years ago I’d have serious doubts. And I think as MLS grows in stature the parity of the league will be more appreciated. The drawbacks are obvious, but US pro sports have never cared about serving small markets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron