Misc: Pro Golf...Tiger Woods

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
I heard Tiger was feeling great, hitting the ball like he was when he was healthy.

Uhhhhh, what happened in the desert then?

Any golf fans on CF?

I would like to see Tiger get 18 and 19 major wins, but I think he is done. He is just not the same player as he was.

Pretty sad fall from grace.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
His chipping is what you would see from a 18 handicap golfer at the moment

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Hey, so his chipping is like mine then....He is just an average pro golfer..well, maybe less than an average pro golfer then.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's gotta be the broken teeth. :rolleyes:

Seriously, golf would be more entertaining if he was in the hunt. Being able to watch Nicklaus compete as an old guy was a nice treat for fans back when Jack's career was winding down. Doesn't look like Tiger will be able to do that (maybe).

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
It's gotta be the broken teeth. :rolleyes:

Seriously, golf would be more entertaining if he was in the hunt. Being able to watch Nicklaus compete as an old guy was a nice treat for fans back when Jack's career was winding down. Doesn't look like Tiger will be able to do that (maybe).

Rory and Spieth battling for every major with Tiger in the hunt occasionally would be huge for golf.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
I too think when Tiger is in the hunt on Sundays, golf is much better. But it never happens anymore. I like the young guys too, but it is interesting when it is a Red Tiger Sunday.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I'm a Tiger fan but the analysts can say "rusty" all they want. This isn't rust, it's abhorrent. His chipping has been discussed but everything looks poor. He hit a great shot yesterday on 13 and made an eagle three, today he made an EIGHT on the par 5 15th. An 8! A good number of single digit 'cappers would have given him a match from the same tees on the front 9 today. That should never happen.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He's a golfer still I thought he was just Lindsay vonns s/o now

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm a Tiger fan but the analysts can say "rusty" all they want. This isn't rust, it's abhorrent. His chipping has been discussed but everything looks poor. He hit a great shot yesterday on 13 and made an eagle three, today he made an EIGHT on the par 5 15th. An 8! A good number of single digit 'cappers would have given him a match from the same tees on the front 9 today. That should never happen.

Probably miss the cut so he can go Vonn.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Somebody on ESPN radio this AM said he has a different swing day-to-day right now. I'm no golf pro but I know that's not good.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Until Tiger can stay healthy and with a single swing coach for a season or two he will struggle to be consistent. The swing coach thing will be a lot easier than the healthy part.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Until Tiger can stay healthy and with a single swing coach for a season or two he will struggle to be consistent. The swing coach thing will be a lot easier than the healthy part.

I argued against this for years but Tiger needs to get away from these mechanical swing coaches. He doesn't feel anything anymore. It's all this point to point crap that works for about 5% of people.

I don't know what his short game problem is. I think Rocco probably was pretty close last night when he blasted Tiger for seeking help from people who haven't done anything in the game. Yesterday and today, we have watch the guy with probably the best short game in the history of the sport become reduced to having to use 7 irons from 30 feet of the green because he can't make contact with a wedge. That's not rust. That's not a swing change. That's mental.

H

HGPuck

Its all mental at this point, it went from being his biggest advantage to his biggest liability.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I didn't see much of his play this week, but he has to be rusty - its been 2 years since he played a full schedule.

I was up this am and watched some of the European Tour...........the way Rory is playing now - the Grand Slam is in play. He has everything working, drive (check), irons (check), short game (check), putting (CHECK). He has the swagger back since he dumped Woiseniak.

Jordan Spieth is going to be a stud too.......Tiger is almost 40, but he looks a lot slimmer and he might have one more run in him for a season or two, i just don't know if i trust his body to hold up. He and Kobe should buy a rehab facility to save on some money.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Before Tiger was leaving his Strokes off the course. Now he is bringing those additional strokes to the course.

And WTF was he thinking when he was dominating the game of golf and was tinkering with his swing? If it ain't freaking broke, you don't fix it. IMO, he will never get his game back to what it was. He is done.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
I didn't see much of his play this week, but he has to be rusty - its been 2 years since he played a full schedule.

I was up this am and watched some of the European Tour...........the way Rory is playing now - the Grand Slam is in play. He has everything working, drive (check), irons (check), short game (check), putting (CHECK). He has the swagger back since he dumped Woiseniak.

Jordan Spieth is going to be a stud too.......Tiger is almost 40, but he looks a lot slimmer and he might have one more run in him for a season or two, i just don't know if i trust his body to hold up. He and Kobe should buy a rehab facility to save on some money.

It is now the Rory McIlroy era and praise the lord for that!

Now if only the media would realize this as well.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
It is now the Rory McIlroy era and praise the lord for that!

Now if only the media would realize this as well.

amen............Rory is someone that could save golf. As much as everyone loved Tiger, he was a pretty cold/calculated guy. Rory has that European open book attitude which would be great for marketing and people could rally behind.

plus when he is clicking, his dominance can be only compared to Tiger in the late 90's.