Post game thoughts

ilovetheclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 17, 2006
Ankeny, Ia
well brackins is the guy we all hoped he would develop into and looks like he is going in the right direction.

BUT come one can anyone else score......

Kansas shot lights out and we couldnt make anything

that is the story of the game

that and no one played defense that well

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Craig stepped up huge. Now we need some of the others to do the same. Also I thought they should have tried to get Craig one more shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
How about putting someone else besides Petersen and Haluska on the Big 12's best player. Collins abused those two.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would hate to see what the team shot without Brackins. 25% maybe? I thought the team played pretty well besides not being able to make a shot, and Collins could have made shots blindfolded in the first half. Wish GMac would have let Brackins go for the record, at least something positive would have come out of the game. Guard play for ISU is just plan not good at this point in time.

ilovetheclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 17, 2006
Ankeny, Ia
I say fire coach MAC for not preparing for this game. Man, if one of the other guys step up, we win this game - no doubt.

There was definite improvement of the guys running the plays

good to see boozer get more minutes i think he is going to be big for us later in the year.

hamilton, Alex T, and vanderbeeken looked scared to out there trying for a board. these guys need to get nasty and help put a lil more attitude out there for defense.

hailtojohnny

Jan 9, 2008
Game plan was good in my opinion, Mac can't go out and make the open shots. If Jamie or Sean hit those open looks we might have something. Lucca had difficulty getting his shot up. Craig had a great effort and was very efficient.

Mac can coach with anyone in the Big XII.

Reactions: kkise and cyismydog

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I posted this in the game thread, but I'll post it again here.

Self had an awesome gameplan. For the most part, they played Brackins straight up, but their guards were all over Staiger & Peterson. Brackins can go off for 50, but if nobody else contributes ISU is still going to lose. Garrett isn't a threat with the jump shot so they're sagging off of him. But whenever he drives into the lane KU is sending a second defender at him hard so he can't create for somebody else. Brackins really is our only multi-dimensional player. You focus on the rest of our team & take away what they do best, & we're screwed.

I don't think this is a coaching issue. I think this is an athelte issue. Plain and simple, KU has much, much better athletes. You hassle our outsider shooters, none of whom are a threat off the dribble, and you can really take them out of the game. Combine this with the fact that we shot 34.5% on the game & we didn't stand a chance. If the rest of the team knocks some shots down, this is a drastically different game. But I think KU's gameplan had a lot to do with the result of this game.

Reactions: kkise and rhillary

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Hard to be pleased with a loss like this. Brackins was just outstanding today... although, if you told me Brackins would have 42 and we still lost to Kansas, I would have laughed in your face.

I can understand though, there was some tough defense on the KU side of the ball. I'm amazed with how good the Jayhawks were on defense, that Brackins was able to get to the point total that he did today.

If anyone else stepped up today, it would have been a win. Craig can't carry the team by himself.

Take the loss, move on, there are larger fish to fry. :biggrin:

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
looks like he is going in the right direction.

Looks like? He really couldn't have had a better game. He is PLOWING through the right direction and the only thing that should worry ISU fans about him is if he is going to be at ISU long enough to get his degree.

Craig stepped up huge. Now we need some of the others to do the same. Also I thought they should have tried to get Craig one more shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree about needing others to step up. I totally disagree with the whole "try to get the record thing" because that is pretty dumb. If it happens, it happens and the guy deserves it but don't force it because then it is an empty record. The game was over when Reed hit that 3 with like 5 minutes left so they could've just pounded it to Craig and he could've gotten 50 and what would that have accomplished? Nothing.

He'll have plenty of opportunities to meet or break that record if he stays around and someone else helps take the pressure off by knocking down some shots.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
KU is not very good for being 4-0 in the conference. ISU should have won this game, however Lucca couldn't shoot, DG made too many T/O's and McD had no (decent) game plan to stop Collins - there only player worth a ****.

This was frustrating loss to take, because I felt ISU was a better team - they just can't execute.....don't know if you blame that on the players or their preperation.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I say fire coach MAC for not preparing for this game. Man, if one of the other guys step up, we win this game - no doubt.

Not sure which game you were watching...there were lots of well drawn up plays where a guy blew an open shot. MAC can't go out there and shoot it himself.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
We have no good 2nd option on offense other than Brackins. I thought our post defense was pretty good, but we gave them way too many open 3s.