Possible Rule Changes

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
I'm not talking about being on top and wrestling from your knees. You have a bunch of wrestling from your knees in the neutral position. I would like to see more on a stall call when you can tell that is what is going on wrestling from their knees.
Biscoglia is a good example wrestling from knees in neutral.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
If you drop to a knee from nuetral its defensive wrestling and should be an automatic stall.
I have hated this since my son wrestled. It didn't appear often in the Championships but you could see the guys drop to a knee just because. If the knee hits the ground intentionally without provocation then it should be warning then points. Did I mention I hate seeing guys drop to a knee?

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My 2 cents on rule changes:

1. Out of Bounds Rule: Auto stall call against the first wrestler to touch out of bounds after both wrestlers go OOB which results in a ref stoppage. I think this would keep the edge of mat action as I like the current rules for OOB whistle stoppage. Freestyle rules aren't bad but I like the idea of strategy in a match and if it's a stall call then a wrestler can flee the first time without risking a point knowing that it will be a stall warning. It also takes the pressure off of the ref's from having to interpret "continued action" vs "fleeing the mat". Ref's being inconsistent on the current rule is very frustrating.

2. 3 point TD.

3. Riding time changes (unpopular opinion, I know :) RT can score up to 2 points: 1 point for each minute of RT -- HOWEVER, when RT hits 1 min then the ref calls a stalemate (unless back is exposed) & restart. Then auto-stalemate after each additional 30 seconds of RT for the remainder of the match. This provides and advantage to the bottom wrestler because IMO it's easier to escape from a restart vs having someone on top with the legs in or arm barred up. I also think this would create more sense of urgency for the top wrestler to create a turns (vs just hanging on) because they know a restart will happen. I'd also have RT carry over to overtime. This would cause guys to choose neutral more in OT if they are way behind in RT and be forced to go all out for a TD.

Other thoughts - Don't try to stop wrestling from the knees. It's legal and some guys can and do score from that position. It's not always a stall position as many wrestlers are very good at scoring from the knee position (see David Carr, Biscoglia, etc). ANY wrestler can stall from ANY position.

Last edited:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
My 2 cents on rule changes:

1. Out of Bounds Rule: Auto stall call against the first wrestler to touch out of bounds after both wrestlers go OOB which results in a ref stoppage. I think this would keep the edge of mat action as I like the current rules for OOB whistle stoppage. Freestyle rules aren't bad but I like the idea of strategy in a match and if it's a stall call then a wrestler can flee the first time without risking a point knowing that it will be a stall warning. It also takes the pressure off of the ref's from having to interpret "continued action" vs "fleeing the mat". Ref's being inconsistent on the current rule is very frustrating.
2. 3 point TD
3. Riding time changes (unpopular opinion, I know :) RT can score up to 2 points: 1 point for each minute of RT -- HOWEVER, when RT hits 1 min then the ref calls a stalemate (unless back is exposed) & restart. Then auto-stalemate after each additional 30 seconds of RT for the remainder of the match. This provides and advantage to the bottom wrestler because IMO it's easier to escape from a restart vs having someone on top with the legs in or arm barred up. I also think this would create more sense of urgency for the top wrestler to create a turns (vs just hanging on) because they know a restart will happen. I'd also have RT carry over to overtime. This would cause guys to choose neutral more in OT if they are way behind in RT and be forced to go all out for a TD.

Other thoughts - Don't try to stop wrestling from the knees. It's legal and some guys can and do score from that position. It's not always a stall position as many wrestlers are very good at scoring from the knee position (see David Carr, Biscoglia, etc). ANY wrestler can stall from ANY position.
I think I love #3.

Not sure about #1. Does #1 reward the feature of “Iowa Style” that is just pushing the opponent OOB?

Reactions: CyGold

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'm not talking about being on top and wrestling from your knees. You have a bunch of wrestling from your knees in the neutral position. I would like to see more on a stall call when you can tell that is what is going on wrestling from their knees.

I knew what you meant and that’s what I replied to. I don’t see that as a problem. Fairly rare to see it versus a few years ago.

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
Two things: Stalling should not be rewarded AND lets have less rules which are simplified. 1. Currently, stalling is rewarded by not calling it. And yet, one man's stalling is another man's logical defense or valid game plan. Action and good defense should be rewarded, but not stalling. 2. We must simplify the needed decisions of the officials and not complicate the role of the official and give them more power over the match. Simplifying would also help in gaining viewers and fans IMHO.
Reward with points the action we want to see. Takedowns, turns, and pins.
Stalling needs to be clearly defined and easily Identified, which is tough.

• Agree
Reactions: Land Grant

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

A few of the higher profile (IMO) proposals, as I understand then, and my initial thoughts.

- 3 point take downs: I don’t think this will have as big of an impact as they think, and actually think it might have the opposite effect as the intent. The intent is to incentivize offense. My problem is that a LOT of takedowns come from counter offense, or reattacks. Someone has to make the first move, meaning people are going to expose themselves to those reattacks?

- 3 point NF (in addition to 2 and 4): Intent is to encourage more top action and creativity. I don’t see this one moving the needle much at all.

- Riding time: Riding time accrues like normal, but is only awarded if back points are secured. LOVE IT! Implement it now.

- Ankle rides: Starting a count in all positions where the ankle is being controlled. Limit ankle rides. Hey…I think this is a step in the right direction, but I don’t think it moves the needle much. I guess it would depend on how it would be implemented, but if someone in the top position is in control and is riding the ankle, not much is going to stop them from briefly letting go of the ankle just to grab it again. Also, does this impact the bow and arrow usage, which I think is a legitimate top position for turning an opponent?

Reactions: 4theheckofit

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Interesting changes...the only one that may lead to more action is the riding time being awarded only after back points are earned. That is huge and significant. The other ones are kinda blah in my opinion.

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
I like the takedown rule. Separates more IMO. Riding time change, will that point matter after turning someone? I feel most of the time it wont. Eliminate it all together if that's the case.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Maybe throw the brick, but don't stop the match unless wrestlers are in a neutral position, or stop and review at next stoppage when a wrestler goes out of bounds and the match resets in the center.
Not realistic. A successful challenge can change the wrestler's positions. No way to allow :30 seconds to go by (or more) and then decide you didn't get the takedown and then you didn't get the subsequent back points you got and you didn't get the subsequent pin and now you have to re-wrestle those :30 seconds (or more).

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

cywr89

May 14, 2009
These are a great start. The guy that is better on his feet will when 90% of matches (like FS). No more someone getting 3-1 TDs but losing without giving up backpoints. Loses because of giving up riding time and/or injury escape, penalty, stalling, etc.

Reactions: HGoat1

GPHISU

Feb 18, 2018
I think we are all missing the biggest one, no more 1/2 inch facial hair limit in all seriousness, excited about some of the rules but I struggle with the 3 point. takedown and not addressing things like points needed for majors & tech falls.

• Funny
Reactions: 1100011CS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron