Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
My wife is still a member of the alumni association and we got our 2022 calendar which was 1 page folded up calendar. I don't know if this is the replacement for the normal calendar they send out or not.

They shouldn't waste their time sending the Visions magazine out. Seems like that's probably what they spend most of the fees on. Send a link to the magazine if you want people to read it.
I’m on the opposite side I enjoy getting the magazine. Good bathroom reading marerial

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
I’m on the opposite side I enjoy getting the magazine. Good bathroom reading marerial

You must be older because most young people want to take their phones into the bathroom for reading material or games. :jimlad:

In all seriousness though, spending more than 3 minutes in the bathroom is not healthy.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
For the Alumni Association, I don't really see a benefit to being part of it, but thinking about just doing the $1,000 lifetime membership. The LegaCY Club for the kids sounds cool.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
You must be older because most young people want to take their phones into the bathroom for reading material or games. :jimlad:

In all seriousness though, spending more than 3 minutes in the bathroom is not healthy.
Little over a decade removed from Iowa State! 3 min limit in a bathroom? What is this a drag race? In and out? Come on now!!

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Does anyone tell you how to spend your money? well, besides the wife
I am not telling him how to spend money. I am just saying it’s weird that he can’t donate $12.5K on a $750K salary to a school that’s paying him that much money.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I recall very clearly that shortly after I graduated having someone call asking for donations and literally say “no thank you” when I told them what I was able to give. I also know people with the university that work in fundraising capacity and this is not unusual.

I agree with your point that people will give if they want to. I’m considering this myself now that I’m financially in a position to do so, living back in theMidwest, snd renewing internet in the athletic programs.

May point is simply about strategy from the athletic department and university as a whole. A lot of alumni have just never been active and there is a generation of them probably now at point in their lives/careers where they can give substantial amounts. Need to find a way to get them re-engaged.
That was almost certainly the Alumni Association, a totally different organization than the Cyclone Club. ISUAA is a pack of vultures.

The idea of benefits for out-of-state fans has been rolling around the back of my head since somebody else mentioned it. What if they gave a care package that included all of the stuff they give away at games? The t-shirts, pom-poms, towels, etc. Obviously it would have to be at like 200% margin to cover the swag and shipping, but thats still probably not that much relatively speaking - a hundred bucks of donation should yield at least $40 return on a t-shirt, hand towel and pom-pom shipped anywhere in the US. Plus the increased volume should decrease the unit price. May be big out-of-state donors get their t-shirts/towels/whatever signed by the coaches of the sport where the stuff was given away. Or get souvenir cups/mugs from the concessions/Johnny's/End Zone Club. I bet I could convince my wife to donate from here near Seattle if we got just a little bit back. But now it's hard to justify. Tax deductions just aren't tangible enough. There's no feeling of connection to the program.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That was almost certainly the Alumni Association, a totally different organization than the Cyclone Club. ISUAA is a pack of vultures.

The idea of benefits for out-of-state fans has been rolling around the back of my head since somebody else mentioned it. What if they gave a care package that included all of the stuff they give away at games? The t-shirts, pom-poms, towels, etc. Obviously it would have to be at like 200% margin to cover the swag and shipping, but thats still probably not that much relatively speaking - a hundred bucks of donation should yield at least $40 return on a t-shirt, hand towel and pom-pom shipped anywhere in the US. Plus the increased volume should decrease the unit price. May be big out-of-state donors get their t-shirts/towels/whatever signed by the coaches of the sport where the stuff was given away. Or get souvenir cups/mugs from the concessions/Johnny's/End Zone Club. I bet I could convince my wife to donate from here near Seattle if we got just a little bit back. But now it's hard to justify. Tax deductions just aren't tangible enough. There's no feeling of connection to the program.
I will send you a box of what they gave out at the game for the donors this year. Let me know where you want that empty box sent to you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

To piggyback. Raise ticket prices 40 bucks and mail out tshirts (would have to list shirt sizes and it would be work) for cardinal and yellow out. Out of staters could get those for the $100 donation club.