Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Weird that we apparently expect our head coaches to donate to the Cyclone Club. They are employees. If they choose to donate, good for them but it’s a free choice and shouldn’t be an expectation at all. We would fire them in an instant if their programs were losing. So weird that some expect this. Cyclone Club is for alums, die-hards, and local businesses.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Weird that we apparently expect our head coaches to donate to the Cyclone Club. They are employees. If they choose to donate, good for them but it’s a free choice and shouldn’t be an expectation at all. We would fire them in an instant if their programs were losing. So weird that some expect this. Cyclone Club is for alums, die-hards, and local businesses.

Fred always donated 12.5… And he still might. He set the standard that all coaches making over 300k should follow.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Fred always donated 12.5… And he still might. He set the standard that all coaches making over 300k should follow.

Well, he doesn’t at least publicly. And there’s no standard anyone should follow. That’s a ridiculous expectation to ask of an employee. Could they view it as setting a good example for the people they want to donate to support their programs? Sure. But they’re employees and our loyalty will only go as far as their winning takes us. It’s nothing at all like an alumnus or a local business that plans to be around for decades.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Literally nobody said that the coaches are expected to donate.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: nfrine and DSM4Cy

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I don’t expect him to donate but I also think it would be weird if he didn’t. It’s the amount that he is donating with respect to his salary, and in comparison to his peers like Campbell and TJ that I thought was weird.

BF also has given way more to ISU in general than either of those two guys simply through his longevity, and he is paid less than both as well. He’s often sitting in the section over from us for men’s games that he has no obligation to attend. I’ve seen him frequently entering JTS with his family for FB games. And I say this as an avid Cubs fan and someone who has WAY different political leanings than he does…what more can he do to please you? He’s given his life to the university yet you decide he’s inadequate because he only gave at the second-highest Cyclone Club level. Perfect is often the enemy of the good and this is a great example. Can’t we appreciate our loyal employees without badgering them? This is the kind of thing I thought Cyclone fans were way better than. I mean, even scouring a PDF of Cyclone Club donors is kind of weird that you’d have enough time to do, but I’ll admit, you made me curious enough to click on the link.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
BF also has given way more to ISU in general than either of those two guys simply through his longevity, and he is paid less than both as well. He’s often sitting in the section over from us for men’s games that he has no obligation to attend. I’ve seen him frequently entering JTS with his family for FB games. And I say this as an avid Cubs fan and someone who has WAY different political leanings than he does…what more can he do to please you? He’s given his life to the university yet you decide he’s inadequate because he only gave at the second-highest Cyclone Club level. Perfect is often the enemy of the good and this is a great example. Can’t we appreciate our loyal employees without badgering them? This is the kind of thing I thought Cyclone fans were way better than. I mean, even scouring a PDF of Cyclone Club donors is kind of weird that you’d have enough time to do, but I’ll admit, you made me curious enough to click on the link.
Whoa… it sounds like you are taking this way too personally and overreacting.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Well, he doesn’t at least publicly. And there’s no standard anyone should follow. That’s a ridiculous expectation to ask of an employee. Could they view it as setting a good example for the people they want to donate to support their programs? Sure. But they’re employees and our loyalty will only go as far as their winning takes us. It’s nothing at all like an alumnus or a local business that plans to be around for decades.

He definitely DID donate publicity.

Trust me.. Bill and Billy could win 6 games for 5 years in a row and go no where.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
BF also has given way more to ISU in general than either of those two guys simply through his longevity, and he is paid less than both as well. He’s often sitting in the section over from us for men’s games that he has no obligation to attend. I’ve seen him frequently entering JTS with his family for FB games.
Well, Fennelly's WBB program loses the most money of any sport that ISU offers...I believe upwards of $2 mil.

Reactions: I@ST1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I’m trying to figure out what my benefits for the alumni association are. Joined again this year and besides a tumbler, I don’t know.

Discounts at the bookstore and some businesses around Ames I believe.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He definitely DID donate publicity.

Trust me.. Bill and Billy could win 6 games for 5 years in a row and go no where.

I think you are wrong on that, but I hope we don't find out. A few seasons ago was bad enough for me. I was in the new coach club for a bit but they seem to have got it turned around, now need to get out of the opening wkend of the tourney for a change. This yrs team looks like it should.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Well, Fennelly's WBB program loses the most money of any sport that ISU offers...I believe upwards of $2 mil.
True, but you could say the exact same thing about every university in the country. Only the P5 football schools are making more money than they spend from the sport, schools could also make a little off of men's BB, but that is it. EIU wrestling is losing a million a year and they generally are at the top of sport.

To compete at a fairly high level in any sport takes money, the more a university is willing to pump into the sport, the better off it will perform, generally speaking. Fennely's teams are playing at a high level and that requires money, but he should also be giving some back to the university at his current salary level.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
True, but you could say the exact same thing about every university in the country. Only the P5 football schools are making more money than they spend from the sport, schools could also make a little off of men's BB, but that is it. EIU wrestling is losing a million a year and they generally are at the top of sport.

To compete at a fairly high level in any sport takes money, the more a university is willing to pump into the sport, the better off it will perform, generally speaking. Fennely's teams are playing at a high level and that requires money, but he should also be giving some back to the university at his current salary level.

Its not only about bottom line for each sport. Its about earning potential. Iowa's wrestling and even ISU WBB winning (while the budget is in the red) bring marketing, exposure, and growing fan bases.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Its not only about bottom line for each sport. Its about earning potential. Iowa's wrestling and even ISU WBB winning (while the budget is in the red) bring marketing, exposure, and growing fan bases.
Sure, it is about marketing and exposure, but some sports like wrestling that is going to be very limited. Wrestling is a big deal in the upper Midwest and the NE states, but the rest of the country could not care less.
WBB is at least being played by almost every university in the country, the same cannot be said about wrestling.

Reactions: GoldCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron