Pollard Details Recommended Cuts

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We attended a Beach Boys concert at Stephens in 2019 and Mike Love commented on what a beautiful facility the auditorium is, not just once, but twice. He words, in effect were, "I cannot believe this facility is 50 years old. I would have guessed it was five years old." To call it a dump is hyperbole and deplorable.

I have visited over 90 universities and very few have a facility the quality of Stephens. President Hilton demonstrated exceptional vision when the Iowa State Center was built. I'd be interested in learning more about the campus-based performing arts facilities Mustard Tiger has visited that surpass Stephens.

The competition isn't campused based performing Arts facilities across the nation. The competition is superior venues in DSM. At the very least a superior sized market. CY better than something UCF has? Cool. Still a money loser and not a destination facility. It's economic life is about over if JPs numbers are right

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Been discussed earlier in the thread that it fell to the AD last year. Do you really think that one year of maintenance issues is the cause of the condition it is in now?
You are correct. I believe the AD took it over due to being a department that had money, could control the parking, and make the books look balanced for the Iowa State Center. Assumptions, of course. But, it is no surprise that the AD would rather focus on athletics and sports facilities than an auditorium under the current circumstances.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
No.........why don't you wake up. The "millions" of people who are suffering are not from the virus.....but from the reaction! And where are the "millions" dead. I'm still waiting for the 2020 spring breakers to hit the morgue. How about all the Memorial Day parties we were told would doom the country? July 4th.......the riots.....Sturgess Moto rally.....VMA awards? Take your pick of events where people gathered....and all there were........were.........CASES!!! And a case doesn't mean death and destruction.
Um, look where the rest of the world is at. Look where we are. Dipshits who blow it off as no big deal have doomed the country and we're still stuck dealing with it while everyone else on the planet has pretty much moved on because they had the discipline to do what they were asked.

They didn't have big events.
They had no issues wearing masks....and I'll bet they even wore them correctly!

We could be doing the same fun things they are with having fans at sporting events but the idiots complaining now that we aren't back to normal are the same idiots who won't do what is asked because of their freedumb.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Um, look where the rest of the world is at. Look where we are. Dipshits who blow it off as no big deal have doomed the country and we're still stuck dealing with it while everyone else on the planet has pretty much moved on because they had the discipline to do what they were asked.

We could be doing the same fun things they are with having fans at sporting events but the idiots complaining now that we aren't back to normal are the same idiots who won't do what is asked because of their freedumb.

Yep. And people were told back in May and June that if they wanted to see football in the fall, they would have to social distance, wear masks, and stay home whenever possible.

But they couldn't hack it for more than a few weeks, and so here we are. They wanted their freedom to do whatever they wanted to do. Well, how did that work out for you? Do you have the "freedom" to go watch ISU football this fall now?

And Reynolds back then said we couldn't be shut down because it cost too much money. Really Kim? We told you back then it would cost a LOT more if we didn't shut down and this virus kept haunting us for months and months..... but you can't seem to look at things in the long term.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclad and Macloney

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

ahh...take a look at what is going on in Europe right now. I know the media isn’t covering it (why?), but they are in the midst of the next wave.

Case numbers are essentially back to March levels across Europe with decrease in deaths. All very similar to the US. Are we all idiots?

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
ahh...take a look at what is going on in Europe right now. I know the media isn’t covering it (why?), but they are in the midst of the next wave.

Case numbers are essentially back to March levels across Europe with decrease in deaths. All very similar to the US. Are we all idiots?
Yes

Reactions: Cyclad and Jer

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

We haven’t even gotten past our first wave here in the good ole USA

Reactions: Macloney and Jer

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I totally agree that maintenance issues are not the fault of the AD. The University has had management companies operating c.y. for far too long, taking out their fees leaving little for maintenance. But as has been noted, the building is still safe and operational and seems to meet ada requirements and is still aestically acceptable, albeit without some of the gizmos some modern performing arts centers have. I don't think it will take 25-50 million to continue to have music department concerts, dance competitions (as had been detailed by a client in this thread) state HS competitions, Spring music department events and some regional concerts and shows. To do some of the multimedia, major touring attractions want, yes it would take that type of investment, but for those shows, you will be directly competing with the Civic Center. That is the point I was trying to make.
Management companies are very valuable in that they have relationships with promoters and touring companies that lead to events and concerts being booked.
A big reason that has Wells Fargo Arena dominating Hilton regarding concerts and shows (pre-COVID of course) is that they are managed by Spectra, a huge event management firm with lots of pull and contacts.
Hilton has nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
1599324390787.png
The University of Utah will furlough every employee in its athletic department, even athletic director Mark Harlan and its head coaches, according to KUTV’s Larry Curtis.

The athletic department has also reportedly eliminated some positions and suspended all performance bonuses indefinitely. The drastic steps are the latest sign of the massive financial ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic being felt in the world of college sports.
Yahoo Sports

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
You are correct. I believe the AD took it over due to being a department that had money, could control the parking, and make the books look balanced for the Iowa State Center. Assumptions, of course. But, it is no surprise that the AD would rather focus on athletics and sports facilities than an auditorium under the current circumstances.

From people with direct knowledge, controlling parking at iowa state center was the driving factor. Pollard requested control, there wasn't a pressing need financially at the time to have the athletic department take over. If Stephen's wasn't under the athletic department, the workers there probably would still face significant cuts, but it would not be closing completely like it is now.

Reactions: Macloney

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Management companies are very valuable in that they have relationships with promoters and touring companies that lead to events and concerts being booked.
A big reason that has Wells Fargo Arena dominating Hilton regarding concerts and shows (pre-COVID of course) is that they are managed by Spectra, a huge event management firm with lots of pull and contacts.
Hilton has nothing.
When Hilton was in its heyday with concerts (70s-80s) it did not have a management company, it was managed by the University with a very aggressive asst manager who worked with promotors to get shows. He later went on to be the top guy at the Arena at Nevada Reno, worked for Bill Graham Presents (long time top promotor in San francisco, passed in 1991) and consulted on the San Jose arena construction during the 90's. He never worked for a management company, although he did work for Bill Graham as a tour director.
More recently, Jeff Chelesvig does not work for a management company at the Civic Center, who also worked at the ISU Center in that time frame. While there is evidence that management companies can help, they do take a lot of$$ out of the facility, more than the value of their "contacts" imo, Agents often appreciate independents and look for venues to keep competition going. Contacts can be nurtured without management companies via promotors and agents; local media and other marketing tools are more valuable than a management company, unless somehow a company has monopolized the market. Yes it takes entreprenurial skills to succeed outside a management company and you can't just be a calendar keeper (as you can for a management company)

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
This is why you don't have an athletic department run a performing arts venue.
When did Pollard take over the ownership of CY Stephens? How did we get a 25-50 mil deferred maintenance on a premier campus equity. THIS is shameful. Wintersteen needs to step up and do what she is hired to do? In addition, the facility has significant deferred maintenance issues which would require another $25M to $50M to bring the building up to today’s standards. Anyone been here lately? THIS is an absolute debacle for a major university to be in this position.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
There is obviously a RIFT between Pollard and WIntersteen, on the recent decisions.

I can't speak to whether there could be a rift.

But seems to me based on media reports Jamie pitched ISU's budget difficulties to BOR in last couple weeks. So I would be surprised if the stadium capacity decision was made by Jamie and athletic department in isolation. I would think WW and BOR had input. IMO they went with an aggressive attendance number and with Covid levels in Story county it backfired.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
From people with direct knowledge, controlling parking at iowa state center was the driving factor. Pollard requested control, there wasn't a pressing need financially at the time to have the athletic department take over. If Stephen's wasn't under the athletic department, the workers there probably would still face significant cuts, but it would not be closing completely like it is now.
TOO many profs/employees making upper 6 figures. Way beyond their value. Ten % salary cuts should be across the entire University.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I can't speak to whether there could be a rift.

But seems to me based on media reports Jamie pitched ISU's budget difficulties to BOR in last couple weeks. So I would be surprised if the stadium capacity decision was made by Jamie and athletic department in isolation. I would think WW and BOR had input. IMO they went with an aggressive attendance number and with Covid levels in Story county it backfired.
You may be right that it was a joint decision, but I am thinking Pollard is simply not used to being in the position of having egg on his face. AND, HE is the FACE of all what is going on.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
The competition isn't campused based performing Arts facilities across the nation. The competition is superior venues in DSM. At the very least a superior sized market. CY better than something UCF has? Cool. Still a money loser and not a destination facility. It's economic life is about over if JPs numbers are right
I refuse to believe this. If you are positioning to compete with DSM, you need to reevaluate. Pollard MAY be a wizard with sports/TV facilities, but I have yet to see what if anything he knows about managing performing arts centers.

Reactions: Tornado man

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I refuse to believe this. If you are positioning to compete with DSM, you need to reevaluate. Pollard MAY be a wizard with sports/TV facilities, but I have yet to see what if anything he knows about managing performing arts centers.
Amen. Lots of universities employ management companies to book entertainment in their venues - both performing arts auditoriums and sports arenas. They must see it as worth the cost.
Wells Fargo's management company, Spectra, has college clients all around the country.

• Agree
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
TOO many profs/employees making upper 6 figures. Way beyond their value. Ten % salary cuts should be across the entire University.

I actually disagree with this the upper 6 figure people could/should take the cut but the people at the bottom just starting out really shouldn't have to take a hit. Playing the % game really hoses the people on the bottom. It also works the same way with pay raises.