PJ Fleck legit?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Struggling against bottom feeders And getting housed by mid level teams. How’s that move to the prestigious Big 10 working out for you Nebbie?

They averaged 9ish wins their first 5 seasons in the B1G and had many bad seasons in the B12 so I'm not sure why this narrative keeps being thrown out there.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
They averaged 9ish wins their first 5 seasons in the B1G and had many bad seasons in the B12 so I'm not sure why this narrative keeps being thrown out there.

truthfully the move has been great for every other sport there, except football.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Even when they were having “success” in the B1G early on they were a novelty at best. Then they tailed off. At least in the XII, they had history and tradition and were at the Big Boy table. When they threw a fit and left behind 100 years of tradition with their Plains brethren, they threw away a lot. It’s almost pitiful to see their fans continue to fill up Memorial Stadium and try to keep all those traditions alive. They will never be what they were because they are a fish out of water in their new conference. They don’t matter because in the B1G pecking order they are behind 5-6 teams in name ID and relevance. It’s hurting their brand and it’s hurting their recruiting. I grew up right next door to Lincoln and lived through their glory days. They are not the same Nebraska and they never will be again. I always had grudging respect for them, but then they flipped ISU and other Big XII mates the bird in 2010. They can wallow in their current predicament for a good long time.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Even when they were having “success” in the B1G early on they were a novelty at best. Then they tailed off. At least in the XII, they had history and tradition and were at the Big Boy table. When they threw a fit and left behind 100 years of tradition with their Plains brethren, they threw away a lot. It’s almost pitiful to see their fans continue to fill up Memorial Stadium and try to keep all those traditions alive. They will never be what they were because they are a fish out of water in their new conference. They don’t matter because in the B1G pecking order they are behind 5-6 teams in name ID and relevance. It’s hurting their brand and it’s hurting their recruiting. I grew up right next door to Lincoln and lived through their glory days. They are not the same Nebraska and they never will be again. I always had grudging respect for them, but then they flipped ISU and other Big XII mates the bird in 2010. They can wallow in their current predicament for a good long time.

PJ is going to do what Kill did. Go like 8-1 against bad teams and 0-3 against ranked teams.
They are a solid team and they deserve credit for beating teams they should, but I'll be impressed if they beat a ranked team.

As for Nebraska I keep hearing how the move to the Big 10 hurt them. It isn't due to SOS, as that is down since leaving the Big 12. People say it hurt them by leaving their recruiting grounds of Texas, yet their recruiting rankings have remained solid. I think it is simply a matter of poor coaching hire with Riley, and the jury is out on Frosty.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
PJ is going to do what Kill did. Go like 8-1 against bad teams and 0-3 against ranked teams.
They are a solid team and they deserve credit for beating teams they should, but I'll be impressed if they beat a ranked team.

As for Nebraska I keep hearing how the move to the Big 10 hurt them. It isn't due to SOS, as that is down since leaving the Big 12. People say it hurt them by leaving their recruiting grounds of Texas, yet their recruiting rankings have remained solid. I think it is simply a matter of poor coaching hire with Riley, and the jury is out on Frosty.
They are awful in the trenches. They land some skill guys, but are severely lacking on both lines. I think part of that is due to the change in conferences.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

They will never what they were because they haven't been able to recruit the same way as the 90s for a very long time and weren't that great before heading to the B1G...has nothing to do with the conference they are in.

Pelini was a jackbag but firing him was probably their big mistake for at least getting 9 wins every season.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
They will never what they were because they haven't been able to recruit the same way as the 90s for a very long time and weren't that great before heading to the B1G...has nothing to do with the conference they are in.

Pelini was a jackbag but firing him was probably their big mistake for at least getting 9 wins every season.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Maybe they can become, “the Great Plains option” for the B1G, but I doubt it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Maybe they can become, “the Great Plains option” for the B1G, but I doubt it.

I've never heard of that and their relevance is stuck in the 90s anyway so still not sure what the B1G has to do with it.

I live in B1G country and they love to play the 'welcome to the B1G' mantra while also ignoring that Nebraska's best days were behind them long ago.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've never heard of that and their relevance is stuck in the 90s anyway so still not sure what the B1G has to do with it.

I live in B1G country and they love to play the 'welcome to the B1G' mantra while also ignoring that Nebraska's best days were behind them long ago.
Yeah, Bill Callahan couldn't win in the Big12, and neither would Mike Reilly. Pelini won in both. Not complicated, and not due to conference changes.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They are awful in the trenches. They land some skill guys, but are severely lacking on both lines. I think part of that is due to the change in conferences.
Mike Riley's classes were just as good or better than most of Pelini's and there isn't a big difference in position recruiting.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Mike Riley's classes were just as good or better than most of Pelini's and there isn't a big difference in position recruiting.

Play on the field would suggest otherwise. Frost is a good coach and has a good staff. They still have top notch facilities. The level of competition in the B1G West is weak. Yet, they are getting pushed around routinely. Shocking to see really. Even their AD says its going to take a long time to fix their problems.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Keep rowing over you haters

tenor.gif

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I agree about Minnesota, although I think next year could be different. They are really young and getting better on offense. Fleck is annoying but has proven he is a pretty decent coach, especially on offense. Minnesota will probably lose 3 of their last 4 but they are young on offense and I could see them being pretty darn good next year.

Also agree on Nebraska. They recruit at the same level they always have the problem is their coaching or maybe the quality of the individual they recruit.

Mar 14, 2019
PJ Fleck may be legit. It's tough to tell. They may have the easiest Power 5 schedule that I can ever remember and they barely snuck by a few of those teams. I think the jury is still out on PJ "Row the Boat" Fleck, but he is 6-0. I loved every minute of that Husker win. Blackskirt fans have sure toned it down a bit since the beginning of the season.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Play on the field would suggest otherwise. Frost is a good coach and has a good staff. They still have top notch facilities. The level of competition in the B1G West is weak. Yet, they are getting pushed around routinely. Shocking to see really. Even their AD says its going to take a long time to fix their problems.
I agree they are weak up front and getting pushed around, but recruiting rankings suggest its a coaching and player development problem. Bill Calihan teams got pushed around in the Big 12. Pelini's teams were good up front in both the Big 12 and the Big 10.

I'm just saying there is no evidence that their struggles have anything to do with the conference they are in. Their SOS has gotten much weaker since the move and they are recruiting as well or better.

Not sold on Frost yet. For reference every recruiting class he inherited from Riley would better than anything Campbell inherited by a huge margin, and significantly better than what the Campbell staff has achieved so far.

Nebraska may lack talent but its because they've failed to develop it. This idea that Nebraskas recruiting has dropped off due to the change in conference is a myth.