PJ Fleck legit?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Love all the people ripping Fleck who know about 1/1,000,000 about football compared to him...
Chizik knows a lot more football than you. Ok to rip on him?

People rip on Fleck because he's an annoying doosh not because he can't coach.

I think the consensus here is that he is a good coach but hasn't beaten anybody. By my count he's 0-6 vs ranked teams at UM with avg margin of -20 points. I don't think skepticism is out of line.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think he's an ISU fan, but he wants to go back to the days of little ol' ISU. Where you're just along for the ride in the Big 12, and beating Iowa is the best you can hope to do.
I suppose every fan base has some strange elements, but we do seem to have a small portion of our fan base oddly in love with the idea of having a terrible team with great tailgating.

Similar to bball last year when our team would win a tough game on the road there were fans that were pissed because they lost home games and wouldn't let it go. Almost like they would prefer to go 9-0 at home and 0-9 on the road than say 7-2 and 4-5 in conference play. I guess the former makes Hilton magic more magical????

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is Fleck responsible for that stupid Dramatic Gopher video? I still can't believe they allow that to be played while an opponent is kicking. It is one thing for a student section to do something, but what's next? Super-bright flashing lights on the video board during a kick?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I agree they are weak up front and getting pushed around, but recruiting rankings suggest its a coaching and player development problem. Bill Calihan teams got pushed around in the Big 12. Pelini's teams were good up front in both the Big 12 and the Big 10.

I'm just saying there is no evidence that their struggles have anything to do with the conference they are in. Their SOS has gotten much weaker since the move and they are recruiting as well or better.

Not sold on Frost yet. For reference every recruiting class he inherited from Riley would better than anything Campbell inherited by a huge margin, and significantly better than what the Campbell staff has achieved so far.

Nebraska may lack talent but its because they've failed to develop it. This idea that Nebraskas recruiting has dropped off due to the change in conference is a myth.
Maybe it is more so that Frost's offensive plan just doesn't work in the BIG. That and the fact that his O and D lines are basically starting out where ISU was when Campbell took over. Riley left the cupboard pretty empty and those left where lazy and entitled.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I have to agree, however I didn't think there was any way Nebraska would lose to them. I was so, so wrong but I hope it's just that Nebraska sucks and Minnesota is not that good. Because PJ Fleck is not the best human being in the world. I also believe they're going to get cocky and I will bet you dollars to doughnuts they will lose a game to somebody they shouldn't
Yeah, have you not watched them. Nebraska's sucks. Struggled mightily against the likes of Illinois and Northwestern. Terrible defense, Martinez wildly inaccurate They do have a nice freshman running back but that is about it. Frost had a productive high risk offense, terrible defense, and marshmallow soft schedule at UCF. He needs to find a new defensive coordinator soon if he wants to keep his job.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, moved to 8-0 with a convincing win of 52 - 10 over Maryland. About the same score PSU pinned on them. Playing the weak teams early but taking care of business which is all you can ask of a team.

They have a 2 game lead now over Wisconsin and Iowa. Going to be an interesting last four games. Big games for them all on the 9th, Iowa @ Wisc and PSU @ Gophers. All four with bye weeks next week so two weeks for all of them to prep. PSU at 8-0 with a bye will be no worse than #5 in two weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
As someone who lives in the Twin Cities it’s insane how little school spirit there is here. Best season in recent memory for them and the water cooler talk ever Monday morning at work is nothing but Vikings. You can’t even tell when it’s Gameday.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
As someone who lives in the Twin Cities it’s insane how little school spirit there is here. Best season in recent memory for them and the water cooler talk ever Monday morning at work is nothing but Vikings. You can’t even tell when it’s Gameday.

I don’t think it’s that uncommon in any big cities when it comes to college athletics. College football is a town sport, not a city one.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
At this point I have to concede that Fleck is probably a good coach. Yes, his schedule and the B10 west in general is garbage, but they have won the games against some of these teams in very convincing fashion. Would not be surprised at all if they handle Iowa and WI, who are okay, but not as awesome as a lot of people think. Guess we will see if they are contenders or pretenders in a coupe weeks when they play PSU.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Still out here rowing over all you HATERS! #RTB
giphy.gif