Pipe Burst in Hilton!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Thats where all the air handling systems, mechanical and electrical stuff is at. It's a suspended ceiling. Bad design from the 70s.

Yeah, those I get. But there is no reason to pump water to the ceiling except for fire sprinklers.

• Dislike
Reactions: cycloner29

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
If the sprinkler system is not working properly could the Fire Marshall shut down the building?

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'd bet money it's a fire suppression pipe. Water can sit in the ends of those things for years and you can imagine the smell when it finally comes out.

They "emptied" the fire suppression lines in my building, and it was outside our office, and I still sent my staff home because of the fumes. It smells like a cross between rotten eggs and car exhaust. Its raunchy.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just hope the guys responsible for the repair aren't overthinking this...

CLEAR.jpg

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Hopefully, no one punctured our reservoir of Hilton Magic.

(Why do I feel that this is going to be a bigger story than it initially seems? Hopefully, it won't disrupt the games on FRI but that's not a lot of time to get something cleaned up)

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I remember seeing plans to renovate Hilton in the past. Expanding the concourses and filling in the outside with glass.

Found it:

http://www.henneman.com/projects/160106

It was going to be with the practice center attached. I'd still like to see Hilton renovated at some point.

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
They "emptied" the fire suppression lines in my building, and it was outside our office, and I still sent my staff home because of the fumes. It smells like a cross between rotten eggs and car exhaust. Its raunchy.
The rotten egg smell is because Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) gas tends to build up in stagnant water, especially in enclosed pipes. It's pretty toxic in the right concentrations so I imagine they are going to have to vent the building pretty well before they let many people in (which I'm sure they would do anyway to get rid of the smell).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
At the CPA firm I used to work at there was a pipe burst. Supposedly, for many years people dumped their coffee grounds down the drain and eventually rotted the pipe. When the pipe broke nasty water and old coffee grounds came out of the ceiling. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE smell.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The rotten egg smell is because Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) gas tends to build up in stagnant water, especially in enclosed pipes. It's pretty toxic in the right concentrations so I imagine they are going to have to vent the building pretty well before they let many people in (which I'm sure they would do anyway to get rid of the smell).
On the bright side I've got plenty of cover if I hit up Chipotle for lunch that day. For the noise aspect, just need to time it out to the rhythmic clapping at timeouts. The perfect cover.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron