Pellet grills

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I have the two piece tray but only use the bottom one. I put about 4-5 layer of foil on it and then take a layer off after two or three cooks. Also stick a paper towel up the grease drain to prevent it dripping on the floor when it gets hot outside. ;)

Genius! Why didn't I think of that. I just started doing foil about a year ago as it keeps it so much cleaner, but I don't change it out until it's a must do. AKA starts on fire or needs cleaning to the point smoke is coming back out the hopper

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
How much is this bad boy. I'd really like the wifi feature and looking to upgrade from our Traeger Tailgater. I just need more space. I'd prob use both on some weekends.

Attached is the current sale prices. I paid $684 for the grill amd got a discount on the accessories I bought.

Attachments

• download_20180407_212219.jpg
    download_20180407_212219.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 48

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
If your looking for a unit to do both grilling and smoking, give this a look.
https://www.louisiana-grills.com/phone/800-elite.html
I have the older model and use it year round for grilling. It will get pretty close to 700 degrees. The downside is smaller cooking area, 3 butts or 2 smaller briskets. When, I smoke in larger volumes I love my FEC 100.
http://www.cookshack.com/FEC100
They are not cheap, but extremely high quality and efficient with pellets. Narrow down your choices to 3 or 4 and then watch the Kansas City craigslist ads. They show up on there fairly often. I have also owned Louisiana grills CS 570 and the Whole Hog models and a GMG Jim Bowie. They were all good units and I would recommend them. I know Treagers are popular, but the newer chinese models are not as good as the older canadian models. Talk with Brett at TNT and ask him to point out the picture of Boondoggle BBQ on their wall.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Going to pick up a Daniel Boone today while it is still on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Ankeny. Tired of the work involved with my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Going to pick up a Daniel Boone today while it is still on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Ankeny. Tired of the work involved with my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker.
Yous guys who just bought Daniel Boones...have you used them yet? I just bought one today but the weather this weekend is looking like it'll prevent me from using it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Pellet is the way to go. Time and Temp. Perfect cook every time. Have both. But pellet is so easy and consistent.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Yous guys who just bought Daniel Boones...have you used them yet? I just bought one today but the weather this weekend is looking like it'll prevent me from using it.

I cooked t-bones 2 nights and a chicken breasts another night. My first impression is wow, best chicken I have ever had. The steaks I did 2 ways. The first night I reverse seared them. Cooked them low and slow for an hour. Then let them rest, brought to temp up to 450 and seared them. Ton of smoke flavor.
The other night I just cooked them at 450 like I would on a propane grill. Super moist, no flame up. (My old propane grill and tbones didn't get along)
I'm glad I made the switch. Can't wait to use it more. I can see how the thermal blanket would be nice in cold temps.

Reactions: cycloner29

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I cooked t-bones 2 nights and a chicken breasts another night. My first impression is wow, best chicken I have ever had. The steaks I did 2 ways. The first night I reverse seared them. Cooked them low and slow for an hour. Then let them rest, brought to temp up to 450 and seared them. Ton of smoke flavor.
The other night I just cooked them at 450 like I would on a propane grill. Super moist, no flame up. (My old propane grill and tbones didn't get along)
I'm glad I made the switch. Can't wait to use it more. I can see how the thermal blanket would be nice in cold temps.
I'm going to try wings tonight despite the flurries I see out the window right now.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Made smoked shrimp tacos, breakfast quiche. Amazing ribs with grilled bacon wrapped asparagus. I got the pizza open insert for the Daniel Boone and the pizza was amazing. Basically, every meal since I got it was made on the DB.

I got the WiFi model so I control everything from my iPhone.

Love the DB pellet grill. Traeger owners will be jealous once they see the DB in action.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Well, the wings were good. Not sure I used the best combo of temps and time but it was my first run on the Daniel Boone. Trying to crisp them up at the end resulted in a little too much char on a few.

View attachment 54594
I've never had any issue getting the skin crispy at a lower temp, just have to be patient and let the fat render, usually run 250-275.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I seem to start at 150 degrees, no matter what I smoke, and then raise the temps up. I will usually get to around 300 for the last half hour on wings. Depending on what type of sugar you have in your rub the hotter the temps the more likely the get crispy for the wrong reason. I started using turbinado instead of white sugar in my rubs so things don't go from caramelized to burnt. For ribs and pork butt, I started using molasses as a glue and then putting my rub on, but haven't tried that method on chicken/wings yet.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Steady 250-275? Couple hours?

I seem to start at 150 degrees, no matter what I smoke, and then raise the temps up. I will usually get to around 300 for the last half hour on wings. Depending on what type of sugar you have in your rub the hotter the temps the more likely the get crispy for the wrong reason. I started using turbinado instead of white sugar in my rubs so things don't go from caramelized to burnt. For ribs and pork butt, I started using molasses as a glue and then putting my rub on, but haven't tried that method on chicken/wings yet.
Yeah about 2-2.5 hours. For wings I usually forgo a rub and just make a marinade or brine. I will spray em with a combination of apple juice/vinegar/whiskey every 45 minutes or so. I'm usually not in a hurry if I'm smoking. Will rotate the wings around as needed (back of my GMG Daniel Boone tends to run hotter than the front).