PA guy

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Have had ISU season tickets for nearly 20 years and will not bury our PA guy. However, I was at an Oregon Ducks FB game a couple of weeks ago and their PA guy, Don Essig, was fricken awesome.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
So I'm confused... You're saying there's a Pennsylvania guy with a weak voice spending a lot of time in Central Iowa... and he's letting down a lot of Cyclone Fanatics when he speaks to the crowd. This guy?
AR-190819987.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Irish-America-article-signed-by-Joe-Biden.png

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
My ONLY fan experience change I want is concession management. Has to be a better/quicker way to move through lines than we are doing with the volunteer groups that do it.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
I think the point here is that the PA guy is just OK. Why not strive to have better? I typically only go to one game every year so it's not a big deal but I was just surprised he wasn't better. A good PA guy (along with music as the other poster mentioned) can really fire up the crowd.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
"You can tell your grandkids you were here" I rolled my eyes pretty hard at that one.

Zarcus

Jan 26, 2007
My only problem with the PA announcer is I can only hear his 1st down call and rise up call.
Can not hear who did what on the play.

• Agree
Reactions: DiehardClone

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
PA guy is fine... now if you want to address something please ban the DJ playing 70s and 80s rock ballads. It seems they switch every quarter and we just get good momentum and crowd energy (w 00s-present music) and bam 3rd or 4th Q hits and we get 15 min catering to the way past middle age crowd.

I'm in the older crowd (1987 grad) and for at least the past decade I've wondered why a lot of the music at Jack Trice sounds like the 1987 playlist from KGGO.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't mind the PA guy, but I have nearly nothing to compare him to.

I did think it was funny after a big defensive stop against ULM he said "That's another Cyclone F..." and stopped himself. Got a chuckle out of me.

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
My ONLY fan experience change I want is concession management. Has to be a better/quicker way to move through lines than we are doing with the volunteer groups that do it.
I get the concession thing, but that's a choice. Listening to PA Guy is not.

• Funny
Reactions: CapnCy

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
what happened to the last guy? is this guy new this season? i thought it sounded different than normal even over the radio.

I believe that the last one that did football and women's basketball moved to Arizona or something

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Also, **** you for this little jibe. Gymnastics takes incredible strength and determination. Our ladies have accomplished more than you ever will.

I guess I must have taken his comment differently than you did, which following his second statement I guess I should have seen it more as you did, but I saw it as there is less for an announcer to deal with as far a gymnastics goes. Keeping up with who is what number and the pace of play would be different than keeping up with a gymnastic event. Though his revenue comment shows that you were probably correct in your assumption that it was a jab.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I believe that the last one that did football and women's basketball moved to Arizona or something
It's the same guy. I knew he "retired" after WBB last year, so I thought there would be a new voice at Jack Trice, but no it's still Carl. He must be planning on spending his winters down in Arizona is my guess.

• Informative
Reactions: riceville98

Jiffycy

Jul 27, 2014
The "older crowd" (1987 grad) made me LOL. I'm 72 years old and started coming to games with my dad in 1955. I've had season tickets since '73 and I don't care what kind of music they play, what unis they wear or who's on the PA, just play good competitive football and win more then we lose. Hawks suck! Go Cyclones!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Just gonna drop this here:

Campbell said when he first got to Ames, "...fans wanted to talk about the color of uniforms and the entrance music. You know. The stuff that doesn’t matter. Now we're talking about a football team, we're asking football questions and we're concerned about what's really important.” Campbell said. “

It only took four years, but we're finally here.

Reactions: Jiffycy