Outgoing transfer tracker

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
the grass isn't always greener
But the money might be.

I respect those transferring down more than anything if they are doing it for playing time. Look at talents like Rose, gets cut in the NFL. Only a few make it, so its good when players aren't playing and realize the NFL is over and go to either get a scholarship if they are a walkon or drop down to see playing time.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
But the money might be.

I respect those transferring down more than anything if they are doing it for playing time. Look at talents like Rose, gets cut in the NFL. Only a few make it, so its good when players aren't playing and realize the NFL is over and go to either get a scholarship if they are a walkon or drop down to see playing time.

I was referring to those transfers who never signed with another team

Reactions: BCClone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
But the money might be.

St Louis Battle Hawks legend Mike Rose.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Well we are either doing good on keeping our guys or the season was so bad they don't think they will get a look from anywhere they want to be.

Reactions: exCYtable

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I started to look at how many graduated plus declared for NFL plus entered the Portal to get an idea how many scholarships we have to use. Then I thought, this is meaningless. It can change every day, every week!!! How can these college coaches have any clue now how many recruits they can pursue??? I bet they hate this crap. They can't say it, but they have to think it.

What do you do, just recruit as many as you can, I guess. When you get to August and you have 93 kids on scholarship, you call in the bottom 8 players and tell them "Well, sorry, this didn't work out. Good luck elsewhere." Pretty sure Nebraska did this last year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I started to look at how many graduated plus declared for NFL plus entered the Portal to get an idea how many scholarships we have to use. Then I thought, this is meaningless. It can change every day, every week!!! How can these college coaches have any clue now how many recruits they can pursue??? I bet they hate this crap. They can't say it, but they have to think it.

What do you do, just recruit as many as you can, I guess. When you get to August and you have 93 kids on scholarship, you call in the bottom 8 players and tell them "Well, sorry, this didn't work out. Good luck elsewhere." Pretty sure Nebraska did this last year.
My understanding, this past year when the NCAA dropped the annual 25 scholarship limit they put a hard limit at 85 scholarships at any point in time.

This prohibits schools from oversigning recruits & portal players and then cutting guys 6-8 months from now.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
My understanding, this past year when the NCAA dropped the annual 25 scholarship limit they put a hard limit at 85 scholarships at any point in time.

This prohibits schools from oversigning recruits & portal players and then cutting guys 6-8 months from now.
I hope that's true. I have never heard it before.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I saw a stat that over the last three years on average only ~40% of the transfers find a new home.
This is kind of the very dark side to the portal. A lot of guys hit the portal and end up on the corner, which is about the worst outcome possible. Eventually this will get more recognized and you will see less guys entering the portal.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I think this season of all seasons shows you that the culture at ISU is real. Campbell sells a quality life and personal growth, and then you are going to be a football player. Those types of recruits are different than most that chase dollars, including our head coach. Yes, you will have a few, and good for them if that's what they value. But for the most part we are going to develop young men at Iowa State, and while they are doing that they should become really good football players. And to me, I'm 100% behind that no matter what the results are on the field.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
No they can’t directly contact them.
Well that's good to know, so no other schools can directly contact our players. I feel better now. Whew!!!

On ESPN radio they had talked to a coach. His QB told him, Coach, I'm not going anywhere else, but yeah, I have more than 15 other schools I could go to today.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This is kind of the very dark side to the portal. A lot of guys hit the portal and end up on the corner, which is about the worst outcome possible. Eventually this will get more recognized and you will see less guys entering the portal.
Does going into the portal mean an 'automatic can't return to the team' sort of thing? Is the bridge burned?