OU wanting more Turnovers.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Lincoln Riley wants his defense to be more aggressive at stripping the ball against us. we will need to play our A+ game to have a chance of an upset Saturday night. any thoughts ?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Their defense is undisciplined and them focusing more on selfish (one player) plays instead of team defense, does not improve their defense.

Agreed. I guess I'd want to see exactly what Riley said, but putting the focus on stripping the ball means less focus on basics like just bringing the ball carrier down in the first place.

Reactions: clone4sure

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
We will need to win the turnover battle by 2-3 to have a legitimate chance.

If OU wins that battle we’ll lose by 20+.
Hurts and Lamb will put up points. IMO we will need to score at least 40 points for a chance to win. we have the ability to do this against their defense.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Agreed. I guess I'd want to see exactly what Riley said, but putting the focus on stripping the ball means less focus on basics like just bringing the ball carrier down in the first place.
OU Secondary struggles with taller/bigger receivers. if we can get our TE;s in a one on one with their CB'S and Safties, IMO we may be able to cause this defense lots of problems.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm hoping MC comes out and says they need to throw the football 70+ times bc then the exact opposite will happen.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think CMC will have the team dialed-in. I'm all for trying to beat them in a shootout, but I'd really love to see us mix in the occasional 6-8 minute soul-crushing drive.

My expectations are pretty tempered, but I'm really expecting this to be a better game than most. Let's beat them twice in a row at their house with Norman's own Charlie Kolar going bonkers on the stat sheet.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If they have DBs trying to jump routes, double moves and "Pump Fake" Purdy could put up huge numbers. And if Breece and others cover the ball and keeps their legs moving, there's opportunity to pick up an extra couple yards on every play if they OU is too focused on stripping it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Focusing on stripping the ball can be good if done correctly. The first guy secures the tackle. The SECOND guy to the pile goes for the strip. If the first guy is going for the strip then you are asking for trouble.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Focusing on stripping the ball can be good if done correctly. The first guy secures the tackle. The SECOND guy to the pile goes for the strip. If the first guy is going for the strip then you are asking for trouble.

Rhoads' teams were actually pretty good at this. Klein and Knott were great at standing guys up and waiting for the rest of the gang to show up. But on the other hand, I saw a lot of our opponents salt away the game while our guys swatted at the ball for 25 yards.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Winning the turnover margin isn’t something we do well.

The really frustrating part is that in most of the games ISU has lost the TO battle they have flat dropped INTs, or ISU has tipped the ball at the line and it just falls where no one happens to be or the other team has fumbled and the ball went straight out of bounds as if it was guided there. I keep waiting for it to turn around, but so far it hasn't.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
We will need to win the turnover battle by 2-3 to have a legitimate chance.

If OU wins that battle we’ll lose by 20+.

When was the last time we lost by 20 or more? Campbell's first season? Certainly won't happen tomorrow even if we lose the turnover battle.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
To win this game, they have to “win in the margins” which is something that they haven’t done a whole lot this season. It’s gonna have to be a near perfect game if we’re going to have a chance

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron