Otzelberger's First Recruiting/Transfer Class - FULL

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
how do we feel ISU stands with Brockington? I don't see a bunch of chatter here, so I'm guessing the chances are slim? Typically chatter would ramp up when we hit the top few teams and a decision is imminent.

Made his top 3, can’t say anything else than that at this point.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
If we get Bockington that is another guard who struggles with his shooting. I'm not saying we shouldn't take him but it will be interesting to see how our offenses progresses taking into account these numbers from our guys in their most reason seasons:

• Kalscheur- 25% from 3 on 5.2 attempts per game
  • Jackson- 27% from 3 on 4.1 attempts per game
  • Walker- 29% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
  • Kunc- 34% from 3 on 2.7 attempts per game
  • Enaruna- 23% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
  • Hinson- 32% from 3 on 5 attempts per game
  • Johnston- 27% from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game
  • Grill- 34% from 3 on 6 attempts per game

At least Hunter and Foster should be capable shooters.
And I think that's the reason most cant see us being very good next year. Luckily that's also not exactly what next season is for

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
how do we feel ISU stands with Brockington? I don't see a bunch of chatter here, so I'm guessing the chances are slim? Typically chatter would ramp up when we hit the top few teams and a decision is imminent.
I'll chatter!

Positive thoughts sometimes also helps. I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't select my favorite school! How am I doing?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I also see him as the Jake Anderson “glue guy +” type.
I think you might have nailed it with the Jake Anderson analogy.
2010-11 (At Iowa State)
Had an outstanding senior season with the Cyclones, averaging 12.8 points and leading the team in rebounds at 7.2 rpg...started 31 games...was named Big 12 Rookie of the Week twice (Nov. 15; Feb. 21)...ranked eighth in the Big 12 in rebounding (7.2), registering seven double-digit rebounding efforts...led ISU on the boards in 13 games...at 6-2, was the shortest player in Iowa State history to average 7.0 rebounds or better...tied for the team lead with four double-doubles...recorded double figures in scoring in 23 of 32 games...made 39 3-pointers...connected on 21 of his 39 3-pointers in the last eight games...posted a double-double vs. Creighton, scoring 19 points and grabbing a career-high 15 rebounds...tallied a career-high six steals vs. California, tying for the third-best single-game total in Cyclone history...registered his first 20-point game as a Cyclone with 20 points vs. Missouri...posted a career-high 33 points vs. Colorado in the first round of the Big 12 Championship, tying for the fourth-best scoring effort in Big 12 Championship history...it is the second-most points scored by a Cyclone in the Big 12 Championship (Marcus Fizer, 38 points vs. Baylor; 2000)....ended his career with 1,563 points and 106 starts.
Darion "Jake" Anderson - Men's Basketball - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)

Maybe Jake was a little better shooter, Izaiah the more physical slasher/defender type? If he were to come here, I think he would get/command a lot of minutes. He would likely be a reserve, but one of the first off the bench. I think he would get his fair share of starts as well, if we went small, as a 2/3 guard/wing.

He would be a physical, experienced guard that we could really use.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'll chatter!

Positive thoughts sometimes also helps. I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't select my favorite school! How am I doing?

I hope we get him, but I'm also not averse to just banking the scholarship. Next year will be what it is with the roster we have. I'd almost rather have a one in our back pocket if something late pops up, but if not, that gives us one more for next year's class.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I hope we get him, but I'm also not averse to just banking the scholarship. Next year will be what it is with the roster we have. I'd almost rather have a one in our back pocket if something late pops up, but if not, that gives us one more for next year's class.
Useful thought here. I do think we are severely in need/or atleast would benefit from another strong guard and more guard depth, this year. This year will be a marker we can place into the ground, and build off of.

I know what you might say, you just said it, 'save the scholly' wouldn't be all bad. But we need to kick this program in the pants and get it jump started now! Brockington will help us do that. This will then help stimulate further recruiting down the road.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Useful thought here. I do think we are severely in need/or atleast would benefit from another strong guard and more guard depth, this year. This year will be a marker we can place into the ground, and build off of.

I know what you might say, you just said it, 'save the scholly' wouldn't be all bad. But we need to kick this program in the pants and get it jump started now! Brockington will help us do that. This will then help stimulate further recruiting down the road.

I don't disagree at all. I hope we get him. It's just that I'm of the opinion that IF we don't, all will still be what it is. Personally, it think the program has already been kicked in the pants. Would be a better kick if we get him, but nonetheless... still a kick. Plus we would have a scholly.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't disagree at all. I hope we get him. It's just that I'm of the opinion that IF we don't, all will still be what it is. Personally, it think the program has already been kicked in the pants. Would be a better kick if we get him, but nonetheless... still a kick. Plus we would have a scholly.
Advantages to both. I think if the staff wants him, he wants to come, he'll be a Cyclone.

Holding the scholly, if a great player does not fall into our laps, would be an OK thing also.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just doing the math here. We have twelve players currently committed or returning fir next year, right?

Four of them are post players. Mostly.

One is a true point guard—though others can handle backup duties.

That leaves seven guys for the two wing spots.

If you get picky and label Hinson and Enurena “forwards”, that still leaves five guys for what was once called the “2G”.

So, since I’m not keeping up (spending more time on football nowadays), could someone explain why we would want another wing, please? I mean, in terms besides “because T.J. does”.

Thanks in advance.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Just doing the math here. We have twelve players currently committed or returning fir next year, right?

If you get picky and label Hinson and Enurena “forwards”, that still leaves five guys for what was once called the “2G”.

So, since I’m not keeping up (spending more time on football nowadays), could someone explain why we would want another wing, please? I mean, in terms besides “because T.J. does”.

Thanks in advance.

I agree. Since we're not talking about a great 3 pt shooter, I would prefer a strong D and rebounding big.

But I also agree that next year is about reestablishing a culture, not necessarily the win-loss record.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Idk why but I’m feeling good about Brockington. I noticed Iowa state is offering/reaching out to less and less transfers which makes me think TJ is feeling optimistic we’ll get him. But could also just be the talent pool is drying up significantly and if we don’t get Brockington, TJ just banks the scholarship for later

Reactions: Statefan10

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you might be defining a wing as anything from the 2 to the 4, especially 2-3? I guess in those terms we definitely have the numbers.

I feel our need is the backup 1-3 (1-2 really) positions, somebody who is a versatile guard, mostly a 2 guard, but who could backup the 1 (PG) as needed.
If you can get a 1 yr player who can give us experience and depth at the guard (1-2) position, who could also play the short 3, why not do it?

Brockington as an experienced 1 year guard, who would play a lot IMO, would be a good fit. If he doesn't want to come or coaches change mind, maybe bank the scholly.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Thanks in advance.
I agree. Since we're not talking about a great 3 pt shooter, I would prefer a strong D and rebounding big.

But I also agree that next year is about reestablishing a culture, not necessarily the win-loss record.
Maybe we still take another big, a strong-D, rebounder-type guy, especially if we don't get Brockington. We could use one of those. Check.

Coach ultimately has to decide who to go after and how to form the team. I'd imagine there may be some bruised egos if somebody thinking they might get PT, then doesn't.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It sounds like you might be defining a wing as anything from the 2 to the 4, especially 2-3? I guess in those terms we definitely have the numbers.

I feel our need is the backup 1-3 (1-2 really) positions, somebody who is a versatile guard, mostly a 2 guard, but who could backup the 1 (PG) as needed.
If you can get a 1 yr player who can give us experience and depth at the guard (1-2) position, who could also play the short 3, why not do it?

Brockington as an experienced 1 year guard, who would play a lot IMO, would be a good fit. If he doesn't want to come or coaches change mind, maybe bank the scholly.

is Brockington for sure a 1 year guy?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Reactions: heitclone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think he's a scholastic senior now (or a redshirt junior)(class of 2017), and will play as a redshirt senior this upcoming fall. So normally he would have one year left, this fall.

However there is the Covid 'do-over' year, so now that you mention it, he may have another (2nd) year left if he desired.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Iowa State reportedly in top group for Penn State transfer (247sports.com)

this whole covid do over year is messing with my ability to figure out what grade people are in

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
this whole covid do over year is messing with my ability to figure out what grade people are in
It's easy. Add one (year) to everyone. Unless of course there is an upcoming Leap year in the next three, which then you do not add the one. And if they misbehaved in any way subtract one, unless they do community service. Simple.