OT - Cutting Cable

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Trying YouTube TV for the draft. Worst part so far is we have to screen mirror it to the tv so we don't take advantage of the entire screen. Little buffery as well.

tb4state08

Mar 4, 2016
Des Moines, IA
I recently moved apartments and my previous apt included free basic DirecTV so I never had to worry about cable, however I haven't elected to get cable so far in my new place.

I signed up for the free trial of YouTube TV and to be honest, so far it's not too bad honestly. I haven't tried any others but I have found that connecting my laptop to my tv via HDMI rather than screen mirroring is much better.

With that being said, (first world problem here) it is a pain to get up and go across the room every time I want to change the station, etc.

Is there another way to change stations on YouTube TV when connected via laptop rather than screen mirror?

Thanks!

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I recently moved apartments and my previous apt included free basic DirecTV so I never had to worry about cable, however I haven't elected to get cable so far in my new place.

I signed up for the free trial of YouTube TV and to be honest, so far it's not too bad honestly. I haven't tried any others but I have found that connecting my laptop to my tv via HDMI rather than screen mirroring is much better.

With that being said, (first world problem here) it is a pain to get up and go across the room every time I want to change the station, etc.

Is there another way to change stations on YouTube TV when connected via laptop rather than screen mirror?

Thanks!

I'd honestly just by a chromecast or a roku stick instead of messing with a laptop every time. A roku express is only $30 (includes a free month of sling tv if you wanted to compare).

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So we’ve been on Vue for quite awhile now but the buffering has gotten kind of ridiculous through the FireTVs. It doesn’t happen through the TCLs buillt in Roku which is weird. I’m looking at switching to DTV Now since they have the most extensive lineup for around the 75 per month that we’re spending on Vue. Has anyone done both and what were the pros and cons?

I looked at YouTube TV but they don’t appear to have Showtime which is a dealbreaker. I mainly watch sports and HBO/Showtime. We also watch almost everything off Vues DVR so a reliable DVR service is a must have.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So we’ve been on Vue for quite awhile now but the buffering has gotten kind of ridiculous through the FireTVs. It doesn’t happen through the TCLs buillt in Roku which is weird. I’m looking at switching to DTV Now since they have the most extensive lineup for around the 75 per month that we’re spending on Vue. Has anyone done both and what were the pros and cons?

I looked at YouTube TV but they don’t appear to have Showtime which is a dealbreaker. I mainly watch sports and HBO/Showtime. We also watch almost everything off Vues DVR so a reliable DVR service is a must have.

75 per month wouldn't be enough savings for me to switch. Need to get down to that $40 level or lower IMO.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

Direct tv now is around 40, but do not have recording yet that I'm aware of

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
75 per month wouldn't be enough savings for me to switch. Need to get down to that $40 level or lower IMO.

We are already paying 75 for Vue but it has been unreliable through the FireTVs. I’m looking at switching to DTV Now if it’s more reliable and the DVR actually works. It’d be about the same price with HBO and Showtime. It’s still a hell of a lot less than the 175 that we got bumped up to for regular DTV.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I downloaded terrarium tv to my fireTV ("unlocked") yesterday. So much better than any Kodi build I have ever used. Looks like a hulu/netflix combination layout. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. Love having it for movies and getting caught up on TV shows for free. I use this as an accessory to my DTV. Don't have to use redbox, netflix, or hulu.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Yes? Way to go for the “I never inhaled” defense

Lol.

In order to steal, you have to be in possession of something, right? When you stream, you aren’t technically in possession of the content as you are not downloading or hosting.

ATT gets plenty of my money anyway. To each their own.

• Agree
Reactions: fatkid1974

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Sort of related story here. I think it's funny.

I have Mediacom for internet only, and do Vue or Sling during college football & basketball season only.

My cable connection was going bad, so a Mediacom technician came out to work on it. He was a very nice young man, prob. mid 20's. He asked me if I had any TV's hooked up to cable, and I said "no, I just use rabbit ears."

Twice while he was working, he asked me to "check the rabbit ears" to make sure they were still working . . . the first time, I was like "OK, maybe he unplugged them by accident" so I went to the basement TV and checked . . . everything was fine (of course . . . they don't even touch the mediacom cables).

The second time he asked me to "check the rabbit ears" just incase, I asked him why . . . I said something like "they just hook directly into the back of the TV, I don't see how your work would change anything." He gave me an answer that was something like "well, I've seen so many things hooked up to TVs . . . " but I think the real answer was he didn't know what the phrase "rabbit ears" meant in this context! So I carefully worked the word "antenna" into my next statement and he kind of dropped it.

Is that a generational thing? I'm almost 40 . . . maybe some people grew up never seeing the big antennas with "rabbit ears???"

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I downloaded terrarium tv to my fireTV ("unlocked") yesterday. So much better than any Kodi build I have ever used. Looks like a hulu/netflix combination layout. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. Love having it for movies and getting caught up on TV shows for free. I use this as an accessory to my DTV. Don't have to use redbox, netflix, or hulu.

+1 for Terrarium. It's way better then Kodi/Exodus.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Lol.

In order to steal, you have to be in possession of something, right? When you stream, you aren’t technically in possession of the content as you are not downloading or hosting.

I like your thinking, but I think the minute the content hits your IP, your in possession of it. The content also hits makes a presence in the RAM of your computer. Technically speaking you're in possession of it then. This argument is used when accessing company/private data from a personal laptop quite often.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I like your thinking, but I think the minute the content hits your IP, your in possession of it. The content also hits makes a presence in the RAM of your computer. Technically speaking you're in possession of it then. This argument is used when accessing company/private data from a personal laptop quite often.

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Sounds like it’s a good thing I use a VPN when using it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lol.

I have Kodi and really like it, but I am somewhat concerned about the legality of the whole free streaming thing. This is the argument that I see most of the time for it not being illegal, but if you go to a theater and watch a movie you sure don't leave with anything but a much thinner wallet. I may need to see if I can get terrarium on my Raspberry PI 3

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have Kodi and really like it, but I am somewhat concerned about the legality of the whole free streaming thing. This is the argument that I see most of the time for it not being illegal, but if you go to a theater and watch a movie you sure don't leave with anything but a much thinner wallet. I may need to see if I can get terrarium on my Raspberry PI 3

I wonder if anyone has ever been 'prosecuted' for streaming something like what is available on Kodi/Terrarium. You'd think those hosting it would be higher priorities for the authorities, yet they're able to stay 'online' for years. Same with people who download torrents & actually own a copy of the movie/show. Or even those torrent people who burn/sell stuff (if there are still people who possess hard copies of anything anymore..)