OT - Cutting Cable

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone have an AppleTV? I'm looking for something to bring all of our streaming apps together and like the layout the best of all the options. We've got a smart TV but it often can't handle 4k video from Netflix and the PS4 always has trouble with streaming Vue over wifi. Working on running a hardline from our component area down to the router or buying a new router. Really messed up our wires trying to DYI but I think I've got an idea that will fix the issue...hopefully.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Anyone have an AppleTV? I'm looking for something to bring all of our streaming apps together and like the layout the best of all the options. We've got a smart TV but it often can't handle 4k video from Netflix and the PS4 always has trouble with streaming Vue over wifi. Working on running a hardline from our component area down to the router or buying a new router. Really messed up our wires trying to DYI but I think I've got an idea that will fix the issue...hopefully.

I've got an AppleTV that I got through a Sling promotion. It works fine...we use it for Sling, Netflix, and there is a rather pricey app called Channels that I use to access my HDHomeRun for broadcast TV. There is one issue...there is some protocol that the AppleTV is supposed to use over HDMI to power on/off the TV to enable the use of a single remote. That doesn't work reliably with the Vizio TV that the AppleTV is attached to, so I have to keep the second remote handy. Not sure on which end the problem is.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I've got an AppleTV that I got through a Sling promotion. It works fine...we use it for Sling, Netflix, and there is a rather pricey app called Channels that I use to access my HDHomeRun for broadcast TV. There is one issue...there is some protocol that the AppleTV is supposed to use over HDMI to power on/off the TV to enable the use of a single remote. That doesn't work reliably with the Vizio TV that the AppleTV is attached to, so I have to keep the second remote handy. Not sure on which end the problem is.
Well right now we've got to turn the TV on, turn the PS4 on, turn the PS4 controller on. Volume up and down on the TV remote, channel control on the PS4 controller. Having everything tied together would make things exponentially more simple.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Well right now we've got to turn the TV on, turn the PS4 on, turn the PS4 controller on. Volume up and down on the TV remote, channel control on the PS4 controller. Having everything tied together would make things exponentially more simple.

Doesn't PS4 have a media remote? That would "tie it all together" if all your looking for is less controllers. Otherwise, I would bet a logitech harmony remote would do it ( can't recommend the logitech harmony remotes enough -> even the cheap bar ones that are ~$35 are awesome )

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

Doesn't PS4 have a media remote? That would "tie it all together" if all your looking for is less controllers. Otherwise, I would bet a logitech harmony remote would do it ( can't recommend the logitech harmony remotes enough -> even the cheap bar ones that are ~$35 are awesome )

Agree with the Logitech remotes.
Logitech Harmony 650 Infrared All in One Remote Control, Universal Remote, Programmable Remote (Silver)
by Logitech
Link: http://a.co/9afoQpv

Works great. If you keep your eyes open, these seem to go on sale quite often.

It pays for itself 100x over the first time you don't have to explain to your in-laws why they need to use 3 remotes to watch TV.

Edit: trying the link again

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Agree with the Logitech remotes.
I have this one: Amazon product

Works great. If you keep your eyes open, these seem to go on sale quite often.

It pays for itself 100x over the first time you don't have to explain to your in-laws why they need to use 3 remotes to watch TV.

That's just showing up as an ad for Amazon. I'd love to check out one of the "smart remotes" from Logitech, but my wife would be mortified by all the buttons.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That's just showing up as an ad for Amazon. I'd love to check out one of the "smart remotes" from Logitech, but my wife would be mortified by all the buttons.

I've got one too, once you get it set up it's way simpler than it looks. You litterally hit the button that says watch tv and everything you need to watch tv comes on and to the right input.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

clonefromNE

SuperFanatic
Oct 27, 2006
Boston
Does anyone have one of those sideclick remotes? It attaches to your appletv/firetv/roku remote. I've been curious about those but haven't pulled the trigger.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I love my Apple TV. I have 2 in my house, 1 in the living room and 1 for the kids. We just have the first gen Apple TV so it doesn't have some apps that the newer ones do, but that's not much of a problem - I just use my iPad or iPhone and do screen mirroring. Apps like Fox Sports Go are available on the newer Apple TVs, but not on the version I have. In fact, I watched the ISU exhibition game by streaming my iPhone to the Apple TV. The picture quality was pretty decent.

Another added bonus of the Apple TV is that if my wife or I are playing on our phone and we see something that we want to share we can just mirror our iPhones directly to the TV. Doing that pauses whatever we are watching and then when the video is done we just go right back to watching our other show. I don't think I would get a different streaming box - I know that there are far cheaper versions out there that offer more features (like 4K), but I don't need that.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Hallelujah!! PSVue's UI was updated on my Roku tonight!

Haven't had time to really check it out, but it had the wife all sorts of confused haha
giphy.gif

Great news, excited to try it out tonight.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
It is theoretically possible using something called a diplexer but I've not used one before and not sure how difficult it is to setup. You might consider a Tablo (google it) which would allow the antenna to come in separately at one point and then feed to the rest of the house through wi-fi. You need a media player like Roku or Amazon or Apple on each TV, then.

The "Tablo" seemed kind of interesting except that it had to be connected to my wireless router. I notice while watching games on Sling, PS Vue, etc. that it gets bogged down if someone else in the house is using the internet for something like watching video.

Does anyone know if there is something like Tablo that can send a signal wirelessly, but via it's own dedicated wireless frequency, not over my router?

Basically, the solution I want is to be able to put the antenna upstairs and have the TV downstairs --- but where the TV sits, it's not possible to run a cable to it. I don't care about recording TV.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Don't understand the love for "smart" remotes and can't come close to justifying cost. If you don't point it just right, you'll turn off stuff that's supposed to be on and vice-versa. We got one for my dad a few years ago who was tech-challenged and he was even more confused than eve
The "Tablo" seemed kind of interesting except that it had to be connected to my wireless router. I notice while watching games on Sling, PS Vue, etc. that it gets bogged down if someone else in the house is using the internet for something like watching video.

Does anyone know if there is something like Tablo that can send a signal wirelessly, but via it's own dedicated wireless frequency, not over my router?

Basically, the solution I want is to be able to put the antenna upstairs and have the TV downstairs --- but where the TV sits, it's not possible to run a cable to it. I don't care about recording TV.
Never had a problem with Tablo whatsoever. You may need to upgrade your router and/or ISP.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
So, apparently PS Vue doesn't have the rights to Thursday night NFL games on the NFL network? What's the point of having the NFL network then?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Don't understand the love for "smart" remotes and can't come close to justifying cost. If you don't point it just right, you'll turn off stuff that's supposed to be on and vice-versa. We got one for my dad a few years ago who was tech-challenged and he was even more confused than eve

Never had a problem with Tablo whatsoever. You may need to upgrade your router and/or ISP.

Well, you need to keep the remote pointed at the devices until all of the signals are sent from the remote, and the devices do need to be in the field of view of the remote's infrared transmitter. My kid figured that out when he was a grade-schooler, so it can't be that tough...

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
So, apparently PS Vue doesn't have the rights to Thursday night NFL games on the NFL network? What's the point of having the NFL network then?
It’s because Amazon has the streaming rights to this game, so the NFL network stream that’s on Vue can’t show the game. Basically sports broadcasting rights are ridiculous. Most weeks you’ve been able to see the Thursday night game on the NFL Network stream

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have an antenna in the attic of my garage and pipe the signal into the house through the cable TV jacks. I also currently have DSL internet that comes in through the phone lines. If I wanted to switch to Mediacom, how would that work with the TV antenna and internet running through the same cable? Is that even possible?
If you get mediacom internet you don't need a antenna. Just plug the cable directly into the back of your tv and use the setup to search for channels. You will still get all locals.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron