Optimism for Okie State matchup

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
ISU football has been resilient all year, last week does not change that. This team and these Seniors won't be denied on Saturday. Despite being a TD underdog, a DD loss would surprise me more than a DD win. Senior day for this team is gonna be great.
I agree with sentiment here, but wanted to add, I don't think this team was not resilient last week. It was execution that lacked..... The resilience and heart was all in the right place, we came back hugely in the second half, just not to level execution-wise like we needed to be.....

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I don't feel good about this one, I watched OU OSU game, and yes they lost but it seemed like the had 30 plays go for 20 or more yards. Very fast and shifty playmakers, I don't think our offense will keep up. Hope I'm very wrong.
OU's defense is not great. It's the 4th in the league at best. We scored 38 on them.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just need to figure out a way to run the ball to eat some clock and score some points. Still can't figure out how the ISU defense can slow down all these high powered offenses. Just enjoying the ride.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Just need to figure out a way to run the ball to eat some clock and score some points. Still can't figure out how the ISU defense can slow down all these high powered offenses. Just enjoying the ride.

It's scheme plus talent, wait'll you see it after a few more recruiting classes.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Maybe it's totally unfounded, but my fear is that since there is now plenty of tape since the Oklahoma game, other teams are starting to "figure out" our offense and how to defend it. Other's pointed out that at times, WVU used "our defense" (3 man front) and forced us to be great at run blocking.

Having said that, I have no special insight.

Bucklara

Jan 14, 2016
I agree with sentiment here, but wanted to add, I don't think this team was not resilient last week. It was execution that lacked..... The resilience and heart was all in the right place, we came back hugely in the second half, just not to level execution-wise like we needed to be.....

Should have said "last week's result doesn't change that". This team fought as much or more last week than the previous 4.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe it's totally unfounded, but my fear is that since there is now plenty of tape since the Oklahoma game, other teams are starting to "figure out" our offense and how to defend it. Other's pointed out that at times, WVU used "our defense" (3 man front) and forced us to be great at run blocking.

I’d say it’s more unfounded to disagree with your fear. Let’s just hope the opposing DC thinks so little of our offense that they play their base defense.

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
It goes without saying but the pass rush will win or lose this game for us. If we can pressure Randolph like we did Mayfield, Hill and Grier (after the first 25 minutes) we will be okay. We give Randolph time, he chews us up and spits us out. I like the 3 man when front when we bring help but just rushing 3 kills us until we get their linemen tired.
I don’t know who this “Randolph” is you speak of, but if you bring pressure, we’ll cut you apart. Only Texas slowed us down, and they did it by dropping seven into coverage and counting on he thre DLs and a LB to stop our run game. They had the athletes up front to do it. Others that have tried this (WV) were unsuccessful and we made them pay with the running game. You’ll attempt this and will stay with it until Hill and King begin to gash you.

If you blitz you had better disguise it well. RUDOLPH likes to hard count to get your blitzers to show themselves and will then check out of the play and hit you on a quick route. That’s what happened to WVU.

YOUR defense? WVU has been running a three-man front since their DC showed up three years ago. If anything, you guys are running their defense.

Count on us to run he same defensive scheme we ran against he Mountaineers. We’re going to stuff your run game and make your QB and WRs try to win he game. If you don’t have a deep OL, than look for the same OSU d-line that got five sacks on Mayfield in the second half, to continuously keep substituting fresh DLs to wear your o-line down. We’ve done this to everyone we’ve played this year. You’ll see opposing offenses come in and look relatively effective early in the game, and then we’ll start hurrying your QB, and then a quarter later, we’ll start planting him in he turf. It’s as predictable as the sun rising.

If you’re going to win, you need to get out front early. That’s what TCU and OU did. If we’re ahead at the half, it’s over.

cyjack5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2017
I like our chances if we get off to a good start defensively and offensively. It's tough to dig out of a hole like we had to last week.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I don't feel good about this one, I watched OU OSU game, and yes they lost but it seemed like the had 30 plays go for 20 or more yards. Very fast and shifty playmakers, I don't think our offense will keep up. Hope I'm very wrong.
I am with you. Offense will have to keep up better than they have for us to win.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
OU Lite isn’t as obviously not as good as OU. If we take care of business we should win, but I’m concerned we won’t.

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
I am still in a funk from this past weekend. What could have been had we both won...

I have no idea what will happen on Saturday, other than me popping a beer before noon. As others have mentioned, you had us on the ropes last year and have been competitive with us the last few years anyway.

Go Pokes!

Reactions: mfelske

Aug 26, 2014
We win 31-23. Our defense is solid and we will score more points against a below average defense. Book it!

clone511

Mar 15, 2016
Urbandale, IA
I don’t know who this “Randolph” is you speak of, but if you bring pressure, we’ll cut you apart. Only Texas slowed us down, and they did it by dropping seven into coverage and counting on he thre DLs and a LB to stop our run game. They had the athletes up front to do it. Others that have tried this (WV) were unsuccessful and we made them pay with the running game. You’ll attempt this and will stay with it until Hill and King begin to gash you.

If you blitz you had better disguise it well. RUDOLPH likes to hard count to get your blitzers to show themselves and will then check out of the play and hit you on a quick route. That’s what happened to WVU.

YOUR defense? WVU has been running a three-man front since their DC showed up three years ago. If anything, you guys are running their defense.

Count on us to run he same defensive scheme we ran against he Mountaineers. We’re going to stuff your run game and make your QB and WRs try to win he game. If you don’t have a deep OL, than look for the same OSU d-line that got five sacks on Mayfield in the second half, to continuously keep substituting fresh DLs to wear your o-line down. We’ve done this to everyone we’ve played this year. You’ll see opposing offenses come in and look relatively effective early in the game, and then we’ll start hurrying your QB, and then a quarter later, we’ll start planting him in he turf. It’s as predictable as the sun rising.

If you’re going to win, you need to get out front early. That’s what TCU and OU did. If we’re ahead at the half, it’s over.

giphy (5).gif

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Wait, you guys sacked Mayfield 5 times in 1 half and still gave up 62 points? Holy sh!t thats awful!!