On That Note: Who's on the Guest List?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Not sure if this counts but JT and Chris had an awesome performance together at the CMAs

Brad Paisley and Alabama. BTW I think Brad comes up with some of the most creative music videos for his songs and this one was no exception.

Reactions: cyclones500

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't know the whole history of this, but I'm sure this counts. I think he played on an album or two but not sure he was actually a member of the band or toured.

Dave Grohl playing with Queens of the Stone Age.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As I understand it, Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Carl Radle, and Jim Gordon) had already started recording the album Layla in Miami in 1970, when the Allman Bros. did a show there (where Eric Clapton was in the audience). Duane Allman was invited to join the session (probably that same night) and the rest is history. On the original double album, the 1st side doesn't include Allman but he is on the other three sides, including on this classic song, where he is clearly prominent.

Derek and the Dominos were also guests themselves, having appeared on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass (probably recorded earlier that year).

I still consider his unplugged live chill version from MTV Unplugged the best thing that has ever been aired on the channel previously know for actual music. (You can't do this without singing and screaming lead guitar! Oh, wait, never mind, yes you can.) Some might say Nirvana going somewhat Ungrunged but they would just be wrong. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think both the creators of this thread are great, but I just can't get into them that much with being 70s and before based for must submissions. I feel dumb when deep tracks isn't my favorite sirius station.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Every time I hear it, I'm instantly reminded just how clever both of them are. I need to add Acid Rap to my vinyl wish list - I've got some Kendrick and Beasties on there, but I don't traditionally think about vinyl for rap/hip-hop, for some reason?

Man, I want to hate Kanye as an artist because he's nuts, but he's so good.
Yeah, I'd been looking for a legitimate Chance vinyl for years, and finally saw him offer some during his album release last summer. Bought it instantly.

Also, i agree with Kanye. Growing up I loved everything he did, I now think he's corny as ****, but still can't deny how great he can be musically.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Yeah, I'd been looking for a legitimate Chance vinyl for years, and finally saw him offer some during his album release last summer. Bought it instantly.

Also, i agree with Kanye. Growing up I loved everything he did, I now think he's corny as ****, but still can't deny how great he can be musically.

I'm with you with Kanye. I get the hate, but at the same time he kept putting out **** that was too good to deny.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Roy Harper provided the vocals for the studio album version of Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar (Wish You Were Here).

EDIT: I have a couple bootlegs with Have a Cigar on them. In case you were wondering; in concert, Waters and Gilmour sang it together...

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't know the whole history of this, but I'm sure this counts. I think he played on an album or two but not sure he was actually a member of the band or toured.

Dave Grohl playing with Queens of the Stone Age.

Iirc Grohl was a full on Queen for the Songs for the Deaf album and tour. I think it's a "once a Queen always a Queen" thing since it's mostly Josh Homme's project...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
One of my all time favorite guests was Adrian Belew with Talking Heads on the Remain in Light album and tour in 1980. This song, Warning Sign was released on the More Songs About Buildings and Food album in 1978 and Belew's contribution to it is pretty amazing.

Reactions: matclone and drlove

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Like the Travlin' Willbury's,......Blind Faith,.... Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood and Ric Grech. I remember seeing the album cover at Musicland and something didn't right.

Maybe because I was 12 at the time.

WARNING: Do not look for the original album cover!!!!!

Next, Crosby, Stills, Nash and,a new American, Neil Young.

Last, for now, a song needed today,

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtyninety

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
By coincidence, we threw on the Scarecrow CD thing in the round and round player last night.....iconic and such a great album to listen to from beginning to end. Pre-Meg Ryan weirdness by a couple decades.
Anyway, what a great subtle collaboration.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
David Gilmour - guitar
Pete Townshend - guitar
Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) - piano
Bruce Thomas (Elvis Costello & The Attractions) - bass
Ronnie Lane (Small Faces) - bass
John Paul Jones - bass
John Bonham - drums
Kenney Jones - drums