On That Note: Which Way You Going, Billy?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
This is Mean Dean's fault: when I visited Jamaica, I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Montego (pronounced "Montega") Bay.

Reactions: Cupped

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Oh fine, here's a personal story.

Cabo San Lucas. It was my honeymoon. Went to the Cabo Wabo cantina. Lucked into a BOGO for margaritas. Unfortunately, we were there the week right before Sammy Hagar had his annual birthday party. Didn't get to see him, but was told that everything was cleaned up and looking good for "Senior Sammy" as the locals referred to him as.

• Friendly
Reactions: 0u812

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Another couple work trips. To the other side of the bridge in Jersey. For a very ill-suited mandatory database that was being force-fit onto our organization. At least I got to see a bit of Philly and sneaked over to visit my father's first cousin who lived in Princeton. Even got a bit of a campus tour.

Once missed a connecting flight to Paris, and what I saw of Philly was the airport and the cab that drove me to JFK that night (the ride was $300, one dollar cheaper than I would have paid to stay at the Marriott at the Philly airport).

Good times.

Reactions: MeanDean

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I believe you've been there.

Just the OP requested posts include something personal. It makes it more interesting. At least to me.

It's optional of course. Carry on!

Makes me think of having to watch everybody's slides when I was a kid.

WE'RE HERE FOR THE TUNES, DUDE.

• Friendly

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
New York (Every damned song in the 70's was about NYC), so...here's what played in my head on Baker Street.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Chicago

The first time I flew on a plane was from Omaha to Chicago for a job interview. It was just a day trip in the summer time. I arrived mid-morning, took a cab downtown, found a Woolworth's to cool down, walked to and had the interview, walked around for awhile to see the city, took a cab back to the airport for the flight back home. Well, the flight was canceled so I ended up going through St Louis to get back to Omaha. I thought it was great to be able to be in another big city airport. Now I hate being re-routed!

A few years later I was in Chicago with my boss and another manager for a DISOSS seminar. (DISOSS was IBM's email system many years ago.) We stayed downtown and I was nervous about walking around the area! Went to see a White Sox game and took the L to Comiskey.

Had a some other meetings and classes in Chicago over the years and have also just gone for long weekend vacations.

"Sweet Home Chicago"

Robert Johnson

Last edited:

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I was born in Central Iowa but moved to Denver (Westminster) when I was young. Enrolled at ISU after high school and every summer took the bus home from Des Moines to Denver because that's what we could afford. You had a lot of time to just think about stuff. Met some "memorable" people on those trips and made a life long friend. I heard Blaze Foley sing this song and it's been one of my favorites for years. One of the few covers John Prine ever sang.

Made a lot of stops in little towns in Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado and none were as notable as some in this thread but just as memorable.

Last edited:
Reactions: drlove and MeanDean

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Neil Young, Heart of Gold

I've been to Hollywood, I've been to Redwood
I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold

Reactions: 0u812

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Toasted the Loreli rock while cruising the river Rhine last summer with my wife and two teenage daughters. Think it was probably in Germany.

I saw Styx when their only hits were Lady and Loreli. Then I caught their Grand Illusion Tour in LA and some new band called The Cars stole the show!

Reactions: 0u812 and MeanDean