On That Note - Always Something There to Remind Me

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The Beatles Glass Onion is basically one big reference to other Beatles songs but the one line that makes me think of another song is, "I told you 'bout the fool on the hill, I tell ya man he's livin' there still"...

Reactions: cyclones500

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Mine really isnt different songs as everyone else has put up- its actually the same song but the differences in the uses of the instraments I think practically makes this song sound like different songs. Metallica with the guitars/harsh vocals and Bob Segar with the saxophone/piano/smooth vocals. IMO Metallica has the better version.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
When I'm driving listening to oldies and hear "Love Jones" I think of "Basketball Jones." If I happen to hear Basketball Jones, I don't think of Love Jones lol. Maybe because I love basketball.

Love Jones

Basketball Jones (video could be NSFW, and also plays on stereotypes)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MeanDean and drlove

20eyes

May 15, 2020
There could be an entire thread about all the genius ways rap bands have used samples... from PE to NWA to the Beastie Boys and on and on and on.

But the one that that puts two tunes together for me is The Beastie Boys, Eggman. I love Curtis Mayfield and Superfly is one of my favorites. So I absolutely love how they use that infectious bass line in Eggman.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
because of the videos, I always think of them together,

Showing my oblivious side here - took me a looooong time (WAY too long) to figure out that "INXS" (which I read as "Inks", was actually "In Excess". :oops:

In my defense, I wasn't listening to the stations that played their songs... :D

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Someone previously mentioned "Ventura Highway". The lyrics "sorry, boy, but I've been hit by purple rain" reminds me of "Purple Rain" by Prince.

Speaking of Prince, in Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues", the lyrics "I cried when I wrote this song, sue me if I play too long" reminds me of the lyrics in "1999": "I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray". Not quite the same, but similar and they're kind of the same rhythm. Makes you wonder if these songs/artists weren't influences on Prince.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
The Strokes often sound a lot like the Buzzcocks to me. Their song "Someday" sounds like it should be a Buzzcocks song, and actually sounds a lot like "Everybody's Happy Nowadays" (the video is not the best version of this song).

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Someone previously mentioned "Ventura Highway". The lyrics "sorry, boy, but I've been hit by purple rain" reminds me of "Purple Rain" by Prince.

Speaking of Prince, in Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues", the lyrics "I cried when I wrote this song, sue me if I play too long" reminds me of the lyrics in "1999": "I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray". Not quite the same, but similar and they're kind of the same rhythm. Makes you wonder if these songs/artists weren't influences on Prince.

I think I read somewhere that Prince's inspiration for that title WAS from the America song.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When I first heard Len's "Steal My Sunshine" two decades ago, I thought "where have I heard that instrumental part before?" Then I finally figured it out. A similar instrumental was in the Andrea True Connection's "More, More, More." The two are now forever tied in my mind.

Steal My Sunshine

More, More, More - 2:20 is that same instrumental

Holy crap! I've never known where that instrumental came from. It's so weird that it's just a random hook in the middle of the song. I don't know if I've ever listened to More, More, More that far through I guess.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Holy crap! I've never known where that instrumental came from. It's so weird that it's just a random hook in the middle of the song. I don't know if I've ever listened to More, More, More that far through I guess.

Sounds like whoever wrote the song had another idea for a song, but never finished it, and just decided, "Hell, I'll throw it into the middle of this song!"

Reactions: diaclone