*** Official Xavier vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Made it back after watching the game in person. My comments:

* This team competes. I think "long and athletic" teams will give us problems but Kalscheur, Brockington and Hunter are all phenomenal athletes (we wish they were a wee bit taller).

* We're doing exactly what I said Prohm's teams never could - disrupting the opposition's offensive rhythm. Baylor used that approach to win a natty with those 3 guards last year. And when we go to the bench with Grill, Jackson and Kunc, there is no visible drop-off. It's very impressive how well they play D with so little time under this staff.

* Enaruna has a really limited offensive game. It's nice to have his combo of height and mobility I'm starting to see that he really doesn't have a lot of offensive tools.

* We got plenty of bounces on shots tonight - Hunter's banked 3 and several of Brockington's - which won't always go our way in B12 play.

* Conditt really struggles to avoid fouls and it will hurt us this year because Jones is physically not his equal. It seems like every game, he has 2 to 3 that are just not good plays and they end up getting him up to 4 or 5. When he was in there, he was effective but it feels like it's going to be a recurring issue even in his senior year.

* Kalscheur's shooting form makes me think he should be an elite shooter. Not sure why he's struggled so much. He's a VERY good ball player.

* What a game by Brockinton. And Hunter carried us for a couple stretches. Their speed and athleticism are elite.

* Nunge has a really impressive skill set, given his size. It looked like he had at least 2 inches on George.

That's probably Captain Obvious stuff. Good work to the entire program. We'll have our hands full on Friday but can continue to grow, no matter the outcome.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If your **** ain’t hanging out a little, your shorts are too long.

99a83a4f93535bbf94b0f449fb334dd8.gif

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Have I missed it, has there been an announcement on ISU @ a 2022 holiday tournament.
Kicking myself for not going to Maui.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Larry Brown must love, love, LOVE the game of basketball. Wins an NCAA title and an NBA title and is in the hall of fame and he's still sitting on the bench as an assistant at 81. I'd be on a beach with an umbrella drink and a girlfriend 54 years my junior.
Just saw Memphis assistant coaches. Rasheed Wallace and Larry Brown. Nice.
Watching this Memphis bench, I start to wonder who actually is coaching this team. Larry Brown is literally up and pacing and directing traffic more than Penny. Just watch him.
There is no doubt that Larry Brown is your X and O guy. Penny acquires talent.
Wondering why Brown and Wallace are even on the coaching staff. Strange arrangement. Oh well, guess it doesn't matter. I won't care after Friday's game.

Pressing with less than 5 seconds on the clock, and fouling with under a second left. To me that’s uncalled for. Just my opinion.
Seems like a nice team to hate. We could make 'em pay for that with our guards. Over and Under for George fouling out in this one?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
what was it before?

I think it was 14 with a projected loss against Xavier, so it didn’t really flip any games down the road yet. It did bump up our chances about 5% against teams like Creighton and Iowa though. Those are around 30-31% likely wins instead of 25-26%.

Reactions: isutrevman

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Has there been a time when both have been good? Seems for a long time we've had the programs swapping which one is peaking. Neither has been good or bad at the same time. But I'm sure I'm missing a few years.
yes, the year 2000. BB team 32-4. Football team 9-3

Reactions: Nycclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Made it back after watching the game in person. My comments:

* This team competes. I think "long and athletic" teams will give us problems but Kalscheur, Brockington and Hunter are all phenomenal athletes (we wish they were a wee bit taller).

* We're doing exactly what I said Prohm's teams never could - disrupting the opposition's offensive rhythm. Baylor used that approach to win a natty with those 3 guards last year. And when we go to the bench with Grill, Jackson and Kunc, there is no visible drop-off. It's very impressive how well they play D with so little time under this staff.

* Enaruna has a really limited offensive game. It's nice to have his combo of height and mobility I'm starting to see that he really doesn't have a lot of offensive tools.

* We got plenty of bounces on shots tonight - Hunter's banked 3 and several of Brockington's - which won't always go our way in B12 play.

* Conditt really struggles to avoid fouls and it will hurt us this year because Jones is physically not his equal. It seems like every game, he has 2 to 3 that are just not good plays and they end up getting him up to 4 or 5. When he was in there, he was effective but it feels like it's going to be a recurring issue even in his senior year.

* Kalscheur's shooting form makes me think he should be an elite shooter. Not sure why he's struggled so much. He's a VERY good ball player.

* What a game by Brockinton. And Hunter carried us for a couple stretches. Their speed and athleticism are elite.

* Nunge has a really impressive skill set, given his size. It looked like he had at least 2 inches on George.

That's probably Captain Obvious stuff. Good work to the entire program. We'll have our hands full on Friday but can continue to grow, no matter the outcome.

Only thing I would disagree with you about is Enaruna's game. He isn't anywhere near his ceiling, to be sure, but when he's aggressive (which isn't often), he can take people off the dribble, and has some nice inside moves.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Question for those that know, how many years do kids have left for eligibility? Kalcheur and Brockington have another if they want it? Robert Jones? Enuruna? Kunc? Could Condit come back?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Watching this Memphis bench, I start to wonder who actually is coaching this team. Larry Brown is literally up and pacing and directing traffic more than Penny. Just watch him.

I think you nailed it Penny is smart he recruits and relates and he was smart enough to hire L. Brown to coach. with the NIL there is no use for Larry's bag man skills you can do it all up front now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Add another (2?) capable big (D and boards) and next year's recruiting class fits this to a tee.

Reactions: isutrevman

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
This is petty, but I had to roll my eyes when I read the summary of the game in the Des Moines Register. Overall, the article was positive, but there were two things that made me shake my head.

First, the article commented on how Iowa State's 3 point shooting percentage rebounded from it's dismal 0.5% from against Alabama State. I could have sworn we were 1 for 20 that game, not 1 for 200.

Then the article commented that Xavier's bench put up 34 points while Iowa State’s bench managed just 7 points. Yet it didn't bother to point out that Iowa State's starters put up 75, while Xavier's starters managed just 36.

Petty, I know, but it still bugged me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron