NFL: ***Official Week 17 Thread***

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
At least the Vikings had a bye while the Saints had to play this week.
You never know what team is going to show up. The completely unprepared team that played Green Bay a week ago or the team that actually looks like they could win a few games.
Granted losing Cook didn't help but the O-line couldn't hold a block to save their lives against Green Bay

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Non-Playoff teams Draft Order now Set:

RIP Chase Young's career. Have fun in Washington...

Lions are sitting pretty at 3. They have Stafford so they should trade down to someone desperate for a QB. Or stay put and grab Okudah, OL help or one of the many stud WRs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Lions are sitting pretty at 3. They have Stafford so they should trade down to someone desperate for a QB. Or stay put and grab Okudah, OL help or one of the many stud WRs.

They should be a prime candidate to trade down unless they see Stafford's eventual successor there at 3. I think Miami's ideal scenario is Tua falling to them at five but several teams are going to be looking to leapfrog them. Really their best play might be to skip a QB this year, work on building out the rest of the roster, and either sign up for another year of Ryan Fitzpatrick or another bridge QB. It's not like they're just a franchise QB away from contention, so why reach unless they're sure their guy is in this draft?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They should be a prime candidate to trade down unless they see Stafford's eventual successor there at 3. I think Miami's ideal scenario is Tua falling to them at five but several teams are going to be looking to leapfrog them. Really their best play might be to skip a QB this year, work on building out the rest of the roster, and either sign up for another year of Ryan Fitzpatrick or another bridge QB. It's not like they're just a franchise QB away from contention, so why reach unless they're sure their guy is in this draft?
The tank for the 2021 Draft with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields is going to be amazing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pretty quiet around the league for Black Monday. The Giants have fired Pat Shurmur, bringing the list of open jobs to four:

Cleveland
NYG
Carolina
Washington DC

Of those openings I'd think that Carolina is the most attractive just in terms of stability and support. It'll be Tepper's first big hire so whoever it is will probably get a pretty long leash.

That might end up being it, although I think Doug Marrone is in trouble in Jacksonville, Jason Garrett is finished in Dallas, and I kind of wonder what happens to Mike Zimmer if the Vikes are one and done in the playoffs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The tank for the 2021 Draft with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields is going to be amazing.

If the Bears stick with Trubisky and don't bring in a replacement or at least some competition to push him then I think they might be the one of the frontrunners in the race to the bottom.

Reactions: heitclone

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I was surprised by how well Miami played this year. They stripped the team of talent and were competitive in a lot of games.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I was surprised by how well Miami played this year. They stripped the team of talent and were competitive in a lot of games.

Brian Flores did a hell of a job with the hand he got dealt this year. I was kind of surprised when they went with Fitzpatrick instead of Rosen but once they made that change at QB they were generally pretty competitive.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Pretty quiet around the league for Black Monday. The Giants have fired Pat Shurmur, bringing the list of open jobs to four:

Cleveland
NYG
Carolina
Washington DC

Of those openings I'd think that Carolina is the most attractive just in terms of stability and support. It'll be Tepper's first big hire so whoever it is will probably get a pretty long leash.

That might end up being it, although I think Doug Marrone is in trouble in Jacksonville, Jason Garrett is finished in Dallas, and I kind of wonder what happens to Mike Zimmer if the Vikes are one and done in the playoffs.

I've heard Ron Rivera is the front runner for the Washington job.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If the Bears stick with Trubisky and don't bring in a replacement or at least some competition to push him then I think they might be the one of the frontrunners in the race to the bottom.
I'm calling it now. The Browns get 1st pick in 2021 and go QB. Again.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
...... Jason Garrett is finished in Dallas, and I kind of wonder what happens to Mike Zimmer if the Vikes are one and done in the playoffs.

I don't think Zims' seat is even warm. Maybe a different situation if they tank in year three of Cousin's big deal.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

The problem is it's the Lions. Instead of firing Quinn and Patricia like any sane ownership would, they've decided to give them "the ultimatum" - one more year to fix it. Which means Quinn and Patricia will be making all of their offseason moves out of desperation instead of what's good for the team long term. Now, at #3, it's quite possible that a player can be drafted that both helps right now and is good for the long term, but history isn't with Quinn - in 4 years the only pick he's made that's been a smart pick is Kenny Golliday. This is a guy, who at 8 last year, picked a TE in Hockenson, a guy who can't keep himself healthy because he plays stupid, and a number of Iowa fans would say wasn't even the better TE between the two Iowa TEs drafted in the first round. And this was when the first round last year was filled with stud defensive linemen, which was and still is a clear need for this team.

Basically, I'm more interested in how Quinn screws up this draft, and if the Fords go back on their word that this is the last chance.