***Official USMNT Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Ultimately I want a manager that would play or isn't afraid to play a high pressure game. That doesn't mean that they have to play a high back line. I just want a Manager for the US that preaches pressure with structure. Not just guys running around with no direction. It seems with the USA if we lose the ball we retreat, instead of pressing and trying to win the ball back. Or at the very least not letting the team have all day to pick out pass after freaking pass
I am after a manager that isn't afraid to tell people like you you to suck a lemon. I want a manager that understands the best footballers in the pool AND match a style to this talent pool. I dont give a single **** what the style is I want to find someone to maximize the pool.

Ive lived and played with brazil: we aren't Brazilian.
ive coached and played under European managers: we aren't European.
You fantasy world is just a fantasy: fantasies don't win the cup.

Until you have coached or played real football your opinions bore me.

Again I appreciate your apology.

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I am after a manager that isn't afraid to tell people like you you to suck a lemon. I want a manager that understands the best footballers in the pool AND match a style to this talent pool. I dont give a single **** what the style is I want to find someone to maximize the pool.

Ive lived and played with brazil: we aren't Brazilian.
ive coached and played under European managers: we aren't European.
You fantasy world is just a fantasy: fantasies don't win the cup.

Until you have coached or played real football your opinions bore me.

Again I appreciate your apology.

I should not even dignify this with a response. However, what I just quoted you saying is a perfect example of Argumentum Ad Hominem

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Pablo Mastroeni.

a few examples of you are wrong

I am wrong huh? I remember good USMNT fans extremely concerned heading into the 2006 WC that Pablo Mastroeni was even included on that roster because of reckless undisciplined play.

Then this happened U.S. Draws Italy, 1-1, Still Alive in 2006 FIFA World Cup - U.S. Soccer

Tied 1-1 with Italy in the first half. When the USA was up a man. Guess who was reckless and undisciplined and sent off with a straight red in the 43 min? Effectively ruining our momentum. And you claim to know and be a student of the game? Not to mention you and others like you are trying to sell me the same bill of goods on an undisciplined and reckless Jermaine Jones? C'mon Man!

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am wrong huh? I remember good USMNT fans extremely concerned heading into the 2006 WC that Pablo Mastroeni was even included on that roster because of reckless undisciplined play.

Then this happened U.S. Draws Italy, 1-1, Still Alive in 2006 FIFA World Cup - U.S. Soccer

Tied 1-1 with Italy in the first half. When the USA was up a man. Guess who was reckless and undisciplined and sent off with a straight red in the 43 min? Effectively ruining our momentum. And you claim to know and be a student of the game? Not to mention you and others like you are trying to sell me the same bill of goods on an undisciplined and reckless Jermaine Jones? C'mon Man!
I have sold nothing but a blatant disregard for belligerent know nothing's-you.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Nope. I did play overseas though.
I played pick-up with some Irish semi-professional football players when I went to school in Chicago. Most fun I've ever had playing, they matched my level of trash-talking and then some.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I played pick-up with some Irish semi-professional football players when I went to school in Chicago. Most fun I've ever had playing, they matched my level of trash-talking and then some.
I played with some dudes in similar situation. There wasn't much trash talk but lots of strong challenges and nobody wore shin guards.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Nope. I did play overseas though.

I have kicked the ball around East of RCA on ISU Campus with students from all over Europe, Korean students, Chinese Students. That makes me way more International Exp than you.

Your turn.........

Edit - Again as I said earlier Argumentum Ad Hominem do you understand this concept of proper argumentation?

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I played with some dudes in similar situation. There wasn't much trash talk but lots of strong challenges and nobody wore shin guards.
Ya the first game I played with them I assumed we weren't going to be tackling for the same reason. That was foolish.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Roster is out for Ukraine friendly:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Oguchi Onyewu (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Packwood (Birmingham City), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Barnsley), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (Utrecht), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No Donavan or Wondoloski? Any idea why?

It's pre-season for MLS some teams might not want to release their players and for a guy like Donavan he doesn't need games in the NT set up. He needs as few games as possible actually.

Wondoloski is like 35 yo and is probably not worth bringing in to camps any longer. Better to get younger guys in to the set up.

Also you'll notice the team is heavily made up of Euro based players its much easier to travel to Cyprus for those players.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yea, I wouldn't read into the Donovan thing. There's essentially only one MLS player (Bradley) going over, as Dempsey is already in Europe finishing his loan with Fulham.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The MLS season kicks off on March 8th for most teams so I think this March 5th friendly was always going to be largely European based players. I believe Dempsey is still in London through March 1 on his loan with Fulham so it's not really a big deal for him to stay in Europe, train with the USMNT, get an international friendly under his belt, and then return to the States and Seattle. The only guys who are making the trip across the pond appear to be Bradley and Castillo. If this was Klinsmann's A-team you could be pretty sure that MLS guys like Zusi, Omar, Besler, and Brad Evans would be there. I'm sure Klinsmann knows what he has with those core MLS guys and is letting them stay home to prepare for their season openers.

I don't know if we'll see him on Wednesday, but I love that Agudelo ended up in the Eredivisie. England denying his work visa may end up being a huge benefit to his career progression. Going over to Stoke and never getting any games would have been horrible for him. Holland has been good to both Jozy and Johannsson so I love having another super young talented striker getting his feet wet there. Shoot, even Bradley scored 16 goals in a single season when he was at Heerenveen. I hope we see lots of this over the next couple of months.

[video=dailymotion;x1bdcjr]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bdcjr_juan-agudelo_sport[/video]

Last edited:

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The final 3 matches before the USMNT departs for Brazil were announced a few days ago:

May 27 - US vs. Azerbaijan in San Francisco
June 1 - US vs. Turkey in Harrison, NJ
June 7 - US vs. Nigeria in Jacksonville