NFL: ***Official Training Camp and Preseason Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
NFL training camps are getting underway this week. The Hall of Fame Game is just a little over one week away.

Preseason games might hold a little more interest for the diehards this year. Instead of there being two rounds of roster cuts (one to get from 90 to 75, and another to get to 53), there will be one round of cuts after the final preseason weekend for teams to get from 90 to 53. Good thing for the longshots, and should make for some craziness the day after preseason games end with over 1000 players hitting free agency all at once.

I wonder how it affects the third week of preseason, which is usally the "dress rehearsal" for most teams where the starters and key guys play into the second half. With so many players to evaluate maybe the dress rehearsal moves to Week 2?

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I for one am excited for the NFL season to begin. In related news, the Dallas Cowboys lead the league in player suspensions over the last few years, by a wide margin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/cowboys-lead-the-league-in-suspensions-by-a-lot/

Even if Zeke Elliott ends up serving a short suspension I still think they're heavy favorites in the NFC East. I don't really like any other team there. The Eagles still feel like they're a year or two away, the Giants are too inconsistent, and the Redskins are set to implode. But you never know in that division. It seems like that's the toughest one to predict every year.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
JyV0-AqY.jpg

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A six game suspension would be a whopper. Their first 6 games aren't crazy difficult, but they aren't easy, either. This could really impact their season. Be prepared for a drawn out appeal.

Agreed. Even if it's six (which yeah, seems high considering he was never arrested or charged with anything) I doubt the suspension gets served right away. Like the Tom Brady suspension or the Starcaps case, it could be years in court and appeals before Elliott misses any games due to suspension.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Unless Watkins injuries are still bothering him from last year, the Bills are clueless. Not as dysfunctional as the Browns, but close.
I agree the Bills are not a good franchise, but they did get Jordan Matthews who is a pretty good receiver. Better numbers than Watkins through his first 3 years. Watkins is approaching bust territory, imho. He's had 1 decent season, but not world beating. Not even close to the production you'd expect from someone taken #4 overall in a draft. Watkins probably isn't going to flourish in L.A., either.

Help Support Us

Become a patron