Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I remember PFT during Inflategate calling foul on Roger for being too involved with the case, and thus not being able to make an impartial decision. I'm no fan of Goodell, but it's clear that Mike Florio really doesn't like him, and it shows in his coverage of him.

Yeah, I get that. But if Goodell is going to be that closely involved in the league investigations and ultimately the one responsible for making the decision, then he should have been present at that meeting.

It's just a matter of consistency. How involved is the commissioner going to be when it comes to player investigation and punishment? Because now you have two high profile cases - one where Goodell was prominently involved nearly every step of the proceedings (Brady) and another where he apparently relied on a panel of advisors to determine the credibility of Elliott and the accuser. It looks to me like the NFL's process for player discipline still needs some work.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I get that. But if Goodell is going to be that closely involved in the league investigations and ultimately the one responsible for making the decision, then he should have been present at that meeting.

It's just a matter of consistency. How involved is the commissioner going to be when it comes to player investigation and punishment? Because now you have two high profile cases - one where Goodell was prominently involved nearly every step of the proceedings (Brady) and another where he apparently relied on a panel of advisors to determine the credibility of Elliott and the accuser. It looks to me like the NFL's process for player discipline still needs some work.

From what I understand, the CBA is pretty vague on the investigation process. The league maintains broad power to investigate and punish how they see fit, and determine guilt according to their own burden of proof. I don't particularly like it, but the NFLPA has no one to blame but themselves for the situation they're in. Goodell can be as involved or as un-involved as he wants.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Their patented prevent offense is in mid season form.

Had my fantasy league draft yesterday, and Dalvin Cook sat on the board for a long, long time. Nobody wanted to pull the trigger on anyone remotely involved with the Vikes offense. It's almost shocking how many people are still on the Sam Bradford "breakout year" kick. Not gonna happen, folks.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Had my fantasy league draft yesterday, and Dalvin Cook sat on the board for a long, long time. Nobody wanted to pull the trigger on anyone remotely involved with the Vikes offense. It's almost shocking how many people are still on the Sam Bradford "breakout year" kick. Not gonna happen, folks.

It isn't Bradford's fault. I've seen turnstiles put up more resistance than that O line does.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It isn't Bradford's fault. I've seen turnstiles put up more resistance than that O line does.
He has maybe three seconds before he has to get rid of it. That's why the majority of his passes are in the 3 yard range.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ford-detroit-lions-agree-historic-5-year-deal

Damn! Five years, $135 million, 92 mil of which is guaranteed (how much is fully guaranteed or partially guaranteed or guaranteed for injury or whatever is yet to be disclosed). Add that to the $110 mil he's already banked and he's done pretty well for himself. I always struggle with where to rank Stafford among NFL quarterbacks. His record as a starter is just so-so, but he's been forced to try and carry a lof bad teams too. His best football might still be in front of him. And this contract will look more palatable after the next guys in line for new deals - Rodgers, Ryan, Brees and Cousins - reset the market.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ford-detroit-lions-agree-historic-5-year-deal

Damn! Five years, $135 million, 92 mil of which is guaranteed (how much is fully guaranteed or partially guaranteed or guaranteed for injury or whatever is yet to be disclosed). Add that to the $110 mil he's already banked and he's done pretty well for himself. I always struggle with where to rank Stafford among NFL quarterbacks. His record as a starter is just so-so, but he's been forced to try and carry a lof bad teams too. His best football might still be in front of him. And this contract will look more palatable after the next guys in line for new deals - Rodgers, Ryan, Brees and Cousins - reset the market.

Quarterback deals are always eye-popping, anymore. The position just commands a huge salary, and it doesn't matter if a QB is a legitimate superstar, if they're even halfway competent, they're going to get paid a bunch. And you can make the argument that Stafford is pretty good.

I agree, that you have to wait to see how much is fully guaranteed, and what the breakdown is in salary over the individual years of the contract before we'll really know what kind of deal this is.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The top five highest paid QBs (Stafford, Carr, Luck, Brees, Cousins) have one ring combined (Brees).

Yeah, it's kind of shocking. But, that's how the market works for these contracts.

With the exception of Cousins, they're all good enough that their teams do not want to let them hit the open market, and risk losing them, hence they are paying a premium. Cousins is a special case with 2 years of the franchise tag. He might be good enough to command a contract like those other guys, but his team doesn't want to commit, but don't want to let him go, either, so he's caught in a weird limbo area.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah, it's kind of shocking. But, that's how the market works for these contracts.

With the exception of Cousins, they're all good enough that their teams do not want to let them hit the open market, and risk losing them, hence they are paying a premium. Cousins is a special case with 2 years of the franchise tag. He might be good enough to command a contract like those other guys, but his team doesn't want to commit, but don't want to let him go, either, so he's caught in a weird limbo area.

Yep. The demand for even a "pretty good" QB far outweighs the supply. Teams would rather shell out big bucks for decent instead of burning a decade or more cycling through one failed prospect after the next. There's any number of teams in the league right now who would happily pay for any kind of stability at that spot. There just aren't enough decent QBs to go around. The Bears, Texans, Rams, Browns, Jets, Jacksonville....any of these teams plus a few more with slightly better than average QB play would happily write a guy like Stafford who has been ok but not great a check for fifty million guaranteed up front.