*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Here are some Selection Sunday tidbits.

Iowa State tidbit: Iowa State is an #11 Seed for the first time. The #11 Seed is the 12th different seed for Iowa State in school history. We have been every seed from #2 through #13.

I also know that some of you liked my drilldown page that I built last year.

Awesome stuff, much appreciated. Thanks for sharing that drill down tool; that is very interesting.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here's one I like:

Consecutive seasons earning a Top 4 seed:

Kansas: 21
Purdue: 5
Gonzaga: 5
Baylor: 2
Illinois: 2
Arkansas: 2
Arizona: 1
Duke: 1
Kentucky: 1
Auburn: 1
Villanova: 1
Wisconsin: 1
Texas Tech: 1
Tennessee: 1
UCLA: 1
Providence: 1
You like that? It basically shows that Self gets you a good seed and then can't get it done in the tourney. How many championships has Ku pulled off those 21 consecutive high seeds?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Here are some Selection Sunday tidbits.

Iowa State tidbit: Iowa State is an #11 Seed for the first time. The #11 Seed is the 12th different seed for Iowa State in school history. We have been every seed from #2 through #13.

I also know that some of you liked my drilldown page that I built last year.

Looking forward to additional nuggets from you, as tournament season progresses.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You like that? It basically shows that Self gets you a good seed and then can't get it done in the tourney. How many championships has Ku pulled off those 21 consecutive high seeds?
Yes, I like that. And so would every single fan base in the nation. What it shows is that I have been fortunate enough to get to enjoy an uninterrupted run of more than 2 decades of highly competitive Kansas basketball teams. There isn't a single fan base out there who doesn't wish the team they cheer for would have won more ncaa tourney games. Not Duke, not Kentucky, none of them.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
March is a different beast. Weird things happen. I would take that consistent success in a major conference any day of the week.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That Adida$ money has bought Coach Self some good teams. That's for sure.
You would think it could have bought just one more title somewhere along the way.
I've lost in my pool plenty of times taking KU very far. I don't think McCormick and the rest of their front line will do well vs. Iowa at all. Agboji can't beat them by himself. Iowa got a good draw. So many big12 championships but when is the last time KU made a final four?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I've lost in my pool plenty of times taking KU very far. I don't think McCormick and the rest of their front line will do well vs. Iowa at all. Agboji can't beat them by himself. Iowa got a good draw. So many big12 championships but when is the last time KU made a final four?

Three tournaments ago (2018).

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
Actually, just 2 tournaments ago, this year hasn't been played. It was 2018. Best team money can buy.
KU could claim they were the National Champs in 2020, I guess.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
I tend to agree, but Richmond is a very experienced team, almost JorBo levels of experience, and those are the types of groups that pull big upsets. Iowa will also be coming down from the high of winning the B1G for the first time in 16 years, and Fran is their coach. I wouldn't put anything past them, although I'm picking them to reach the Sweet 16 in my brackets.
Is JorBo packing for a month?

• Haha
Reactions: CRCySpy

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Is it a coincidence that ESPN holds the television rights to SEC football and the Playoffs and 2 teams get in AND CBS holds the rights to the Big10 tournament, a premier matchup each week and the whole NCAA tournament and the Big10 gets 9 teams in? Probably, but that won't stop my pointless speculation

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I watch a lot of college ball. Our bracket is good . We got a good chance against both LSU (coaching) and Wisc. (style of play).
I am sure TJ and Tyrese are excited to be in Wis. It could really benefit the Wisconsin recruiting if we string a couple of good games together.
My concern though is even before Wade, coaching was an issue for them. They actually might be better coached now with one of their assistants leading them now.

Reactions: allfourcy

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Is it a coincidence that ESPN holds the television rights to SEC football and the Playoffs and 2 teams get in AND CBS holds the rights to the Big10 tournament, a premier matchup each week and the whole NCAA tournament and the Big10 gets 9 teams in? Probably, but that won't stop my pointless speculation

There is nothing to speculate. That is exactly the reason why. $$$$$$

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That Adida$ money has bought Coach Self some good teams. That's for sure.
You would think it could have bought just one more title somewhere along the way.
Meh. A 6 round single elimination tournament filled with 18-22 year olds is a total crapshoot. The best team rarely wins and some teams (cough, UConn, cough) seem to be blessed by the tournament gods while others have really bad luck.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Big ten should have only had 7 teams, swap in A&M and OU for rutgers and michigan. Top 3 conferences each would have 7 then.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Several comments in this thread (and others) regarding Michigan/Oklahoma/Rutgers, ATM, et. al. I'm not all that bothered about the selections, but maybe because I expected U-M to be in and figured OU wouldn't ... I'm NOT claiming my projection/assessment was more valid, only that it didn't shock to me.

Had it gone the other way, I probably wouldn't have questioned it too much, either.

If I were the entire committee, I wouldn't have chosen Rutgers, but I was fairly certain it'd happen ... that's a weird/challenging resume to assess; positives are a shoo-in, lowlights are yecch.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
It's amazing looking where Bracket Matrix participants had us seeded.

7 Seed
1​
8 Seed
11​
9 Seed
95​
10 Seed
84​
11 Seed
20​

• Informative
Reactions: Marcelason78