***Official Olympic Wrestling Trials Thread***

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
anybody going? there are going to be plenty cyclones trying to make the team. i am going to watch my "little" cousin try to qualify at heavyweight in freestyle. he's the heavyweight from wartburg and gets to go against the likes of Mocco, Rowland and DZ.

i am not finding any brackets and they do the whole weight class in a day? i know the finals are best 2 of 3 but how does the rest of it work out? TIA

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
As usual ISUChip has an excellent preview of Saturday's matches at Cyclone Report:

CycloneReport.com - Message Boards

Included are webcast, telecast, times, link to brackets, and wrestlers with ISU ties.

Much appreciated should anyone post results here tomorrow, if possible. But it looks like things will be kept pretty well updated over there. There probably won't be a lot of people online following, but I'd encourage people to visit and follow over there if there isn't a lot of activity here.

Presumably, ISUChip will start another thread over there for Sunday's matches when he can.

Best of luck to your little cousin, cyclonesurveyor. :smile:

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Per ISUChip, Big Z wins in the first round 3-2 6-0.

Trent Paulson also wrestles today (Travis tomorrow).

As it looks like Chip is going to be right on top of this, I'd encourage those who want to follow online on a message board to do so at Cyclone Report. Its a free board so you can also post or ask questions if you want. Seems redundant to also do so here, especially as it sometimes or often isn't clear if anyone is following (live action at least).

As always though, much appreciated if someone here does.

Major kudos to ISUChip. And don't be shy about signing up and posting over there.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
As expected, ISUChip is doing a great job so I am not going to repost everything here. Please visit the link above.

Just (1) bumping this, and (2) reposting his latest post regarding Trent:

Paulson def Dake, 2-0 0-1 6-0

Trent gets Andrew Howe in the challenge tournament finals.

Winner of Paulson/Howe will get Burroughs tonight.

If Trent gets past Howe, Burroughs (Nebraska alum) is the current world champion and on a 27-match winning streak. Here is an article on him today in the World-Herald: Next legend of the fall? - Omaha.com
Jordan Burroughs doesn’t know exactly when it happened. When he became unbeatable.

The last time Burroughs lost a wrestling match was as a Cornhusker in December 2009. He suffered a severe knee injury in the first period and lost by a single point in overtime. A medical redshirt ended that year, sandwiched between a pair of undefeated seasons and NCAA titles at Nebraska.

Turns out that was just the beginning for USA Wrestling’s next big thing.

During the last calendar year, the Sicklerville, N.J., native became the first grappler since 1999 to lay claim to an NCAA crown and world freestyle gold medal. He was still making the transition from college (or folkstyle) rules while dominating elite international competition.

In all, Burroughs hasn’t lost a freestyle bout in 27 matches since graduating. ...

These matches are huge for Trent (Travis and others). This is what they have been working towards all their lives.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Former Cyclones Jake Varner and Harry Lester are going to the London Olympics. Travis Paulson and Jon Reader wrestle tomorrow.

Varner of couse was a national champion at Iowa State. Lester was a highly touted recruit and I think was only at ISU one year,when he left specifically to focus on Greco, the style that he qualified for the Olympics in.

Here were the results, via ISUChip, before Lester and Varner's wins this evening.

66kg GR - Harry Lester
QF: Kendrick Sanders - W F1:57
SF: Benjamin Sanchez - W 1-0 1-0
Best-of-3 Final: C.P. Schlatter (tonight)

74kg - Trent Paulson
QF: Lloyd Rogers - W 7-0 2-0
SF: Kyle Dake - W 2-0 0-1 6-0
Challenge Final: Andrew Howe - L 0-1 0-1

96kg - David Zabriskie
R16: Tanner Hall - W 3-2 6-0
QF: Tommy Rowlands - L 1-3 0-4
Cons2: Brent Jones - W 5-0 0-2 6-0
Cons3: Wynn Michalak - W 3-2 1-4 4-3
Cons4: Dustin Kilgore - L 0-3 1-3

96kg - Jake Varner
Best-of-3 Final: Tommy Rowlands (tonight)

Here is the link again from above, showing all of today's action, and including information about the delayed TV broadcast of tonight's finals, tomorrow, from 3-6 PM Central Time.

ISUChip has started another thread for Sunday's action, which starts at 9 AM CST. Again, it will include two former Cyclones, Travis Paulson and Jon Reader:

So remember to check this thread early tomorrow if you want to follow in real time.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Anybody know why the Paulsens split weight classes?

They talked about it in that CB Nonpareil/OWH article posted earlier:

Travis Paulson hasn’t wrestled in a tournament in more than a year. His twin brother, Trent, is a decided underdog at his weight class.
Yet neither has ever felt better about his chances of becoming an Olympian.
The Lewis Central graduates who combined to win five state wrestling titles and earn six NCAA All-America honors at Iowa State have a much grander goal in mind this weekend at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City. Trent will compete Saturday and Travis is set to go Sunday at the two-day event that determines who represents the United States at the Summer Olympics in London.
“It would be a dream come true to make it,†Trent Paulson said. “I’ve been working hard all my life for this moment, I’ve dreamed about it and it’s a goal I’ve set. I just know that all the praying and hard work and determination has paid off.â€
Despite mirror-image prep and college careers, each twin has taken his own path in freestyle wrestling to the brink of wearing red, white and blue in London.
Trent, at 74 kilograms (163 pounds), was a U.S. World Team member in 2009 and finished second and third at the Trials in 2010 and 2011, respectively. His highlight this spring was a gold medal at the Pan American Championships.
The brothers, who live and train in Ames, had already wanted to avoid a potential Trials encounter. Trent’s impressive Pan Am showing fully convinced Travis to move up a weight to 84 kilograms (185 pounds).
“I knew if he wrestled like that at the Olympic Trials, then he could make the team,†Travis Paulson said. “I wrestled a lot of the guys at the next weight and felt I could make the team there.
“For the opportunity for us both to be on the Olympic team, it was worth a shot.†...

Former L.C. wrestlers Travis and Trent Paulson ready for Trials - SouthwestIowaNews.com: Sports

I will post a new article with Trent's thoughts about today and his future in a second.

Reactions: Judoka

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Another good, long Omaha World-Herald article, with Trent's thought about today and his future:

Ex-Cyclone's future unsure after 3rd-place finish - Omaha.com

IOWA CITY — Two points. Had they gone his way, Trent Paulson might still be wrestling. . . . . . . . . . .

The three-time All-American at Iowa State in the mid-2000s remains uncertain about his next step. With his third-place showing, the 28-year-old has the option to earn a stipend while training and competing with the U.S. national team all year.

Retirement is another consideration. Coaching could be Paulson's next move, or using his degree in business marketing.

"I have to do some big self-reflecting and some deep soul searching to decide what I want to do," Paulson said. "I've been doing this since 2007. I got third at the last Olympic Trials, and to get third again at these is pretty disappointing." ...

bilde

Trent Paulson celebrates his win by decision over Kyle Dake at 74 kilograms (163 pounds) in the semifinals of the Challenge Tournament at the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials. Paulson lost 1-0, 1-0 in the finals to Andrew Howe. REBECCA S. GRATZ/THE WORLD-HERALD

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Here's Jake . . . . .

bilde

Jake Varner, formerly of Iowa State, celebrates his win over Tommy Rowlands on Saturday in Iowa City. / BILL NEIBERGALL/THE REGISTER

Former Cyclone Varner earns spot on U.S. Olympic team | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Iowa City, Ia. -- Former Iowa State wrestler Jake Varner earned a spot on the U.S. Olympic wrestling team Saturday.

Varner beat Tommy Rowlands twice in the final series to earn the bid.

Varner, a 26-year-old who won two NCAA titles at Iowa State, is coming off a bronze medal performance at last year's World Championships, which provided him with a free pass to the best-of-three final series at 211.5 pounds.

Check back later for more on this story.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I don't get it. How is Trent in the finals but get third?

Like Jake, who was third at the world championships, from that article on Burroughs linked above:

Burroughs, at 74 kilograms (163 pounds), already enjoys an automatic pass to Saturday evening's best-of-three finals as a defending world medalist. ...

Trent was in the final round to see who wrestled Burroughs, the current world champion.

Incidentally, like at all the different weights (I think), had Howe defeated Burroughs, then Burroughs and Trent would have wrestled for second (important, like if the 1st place guy gets injured before the Olympics or something). Since Howe defeated Trent already to get to the finals against Burroughs, there was no need for them to wrestle again.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Here is more on Burroughs' finals match, where Burroughs won the first and then Howe injury defaulted, which includes the blurb at bottom from Jake: Sports - Omaha.com

IOWA CITY — It wasn't how Jordan Burroughs dreamed of becoming an Olympian. But he isn't complaining, either.

Burroughs became the 10th former Nebraska wrestler to reach his sport's biggest stage Saturday when he swept Andrew Howe in the best-of-three-match championship round at the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Trials. The result continues a spectacular run for the two-time NCAA champion, who also claimed a world gold medal last year.

But in an odd twist, Burroughs celebrated his latest accomplishment in the bowels of Carver-Hawkeye Arena rather than on the mat. About half an hour after winning his first match against Howe 4-2, 1-2, 1-0, the former NU standout was informed that his opponent had suffered a knee injury and would default the bout. . . . . . . .

Along with Burroughs, Iowa State graduate Jake Varner won his weight after enjoying a bye into the freestyle finals. A bronze medalist at last year's World Championships, Varner dispatched Tommy Rowlands 0-1, 2-0, 1-0 and 2-0, 1-0 at 96 kilos (211.5 pounds) after finishing third at the 2008 Olympic Trials.

“I'm going (to London) to win the gold medal or else I wouldn't be doing this,â€￾ Varner said. “I'm just going to be real happy and excited that the work's paid off and to bring home a gold medal.â€￾

Reactions: Cydar

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Former Cyclones Jake Varner and Harry Lester are going to the London Olympics. Travis Paulson and Jon Reader wrestle tomorrow.

Varner of couse was a national champion at Iowa State. Lester was a highly touted recruit and I think was only at ISU one year,when he left specifically to focus on Greco, the style that he qualified for the Olympics in.

Here were the results, via ISUChip, before Lester and Varner's wins this evening.

66kg GR - Harry Lester
QF: Kendrick Sanders - W F1:57
SF: Benjamin Sanchez - W 1-0 1-0
Best-of-3 Final: C.P. Schlatter (tonight)

74kg - Trent Paulson
QF: Lloyd Rogers - W 7-0 2-0
SF: Kyle Dake - W 2-0 0-1 6-0
Challenge Final: Andrew Howe - L 0-1 0-1

96kg - David Zabriskie
R16: Tanner Hall - W 3-2 6-0
QF: Tommy Rowlands - L 1-3 0-4
Cons2: Brent Jones - W 5-0 0-2 6-0
Cons3: Wynn Michalak - W 3-2 1-4 4-3
Cons4: Dustin Kilgore - L 0-3 1-3

96kg - Jake Varner
Best-of-3 Final: Tommy Rowlands (tonight)

Here is the link again from above, showing all of today's action, and including information about the delayed TV broadcast of tonight's finals, tomorrow, from 3-6 PM Central Time.

ISUChip has started another thread for Sunday's action, which starts at 9 AM CST. Again, it will include two former Cyclones, Travis Paulson and Jon Reader:

So remember to check this thread early tomorrow if you want to follow in real time.

Bump.

Action starts again today at 9 AM.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Results so far, big hat tip again to ISUChip and Cyclone Report:

Re: Olympic Trials - Sunday
84kg - Jon Reader
R16: Joe LeBlanc - W 6-0 2-1
QF: Phil Keddy - L 0-1 0-1
Cons2: Tyrel Todd

84kg - Travis Paulson
R16: Tyrel Todd - W 1-0 2-0
QF: Raymond Jordan - W 0-1 1-0 2-0
SF: Keith Gavin

Paulson into the finals after beating Gavin, 1-0 2-0

He will face Jake Herbert in the best-of-3 series. Winner goes to London.

Let's go Travis! Herbert will be tough, the favorite at that weight. And Jon!, who is still going in the consolations.

See Link above to follow in real time and for more about viewing options.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Results so far, big hat tip again to ISUChip and Cyclone Report:

Let's go Travis! Herbert will be tough, the favorite at that weight. And Jon!, who is still going in the consolations.

See Link above to follow in real time and for more about viewing options.

So Reader lost to Phil Keddy? Thats embarrassing.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Travis won the first of three, Dec 0-1,2-1,1-1. But it ain't over yet. He still needs to win one of the two remaining matches.

There was a lot of confusion watching the webcast because it showed him down 2-0 with 12 seconds left in the third forever, then suddenly changed to 1-1 and was over. I verified from Andy Hamilton's tweets:

olympic-trials | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Andy_Hamilton Paulson wins the third 1-1 on an overturned push out with 12 seconds left.
· reply · retweet · favorite

Andy_Hamilton Paulson takes the second period 2-1 on a late takedown and ankle lace.
2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Andy_Hamilton Jake Herbert won the first period against Travis Paulson 1-0.
3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Andy_Hamilton @RACHawk Finals are best-of-three
5 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

For those who want to follow online, click "view brackets" here:
InterMat Wrestling

Then click "Click here to continue to browse the event" (unless you want to sign up for text messaging or email, this screen is a little confusing, don't let it confuse you).

Then click "Click here to verify you would like to start watching the dashboard and the program will continue to retrieve updated information." I see Brent Metcalf's second match (former UI) coming up in the que but not Travis' yet. Metcalf lost to Fryar in the first one. Travis is at 84K.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron