NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I would put Washington (with Porter) ahead of Toronto.

Yeah, you could pretty easily swap those two. I gave Toronto the slight edge because I think DeRozen still has another level he hasn't hit yet, and the Wizards haven't really done anything to fix their bench.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
This trade makes no sense. You're trading your best defender for an average power forward who can't rebound well. The celtics just keep taking L's
This Just In: Celtics are finalizing a trade to send Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris and a second-round pick. (via @wojespn)

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This trade makes no sense. You're trading your best defender for an average power forward who can't rebound well. The celtics just keep taking L's
This Just In: Celtics are finalizing a trade to send Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris and a second-round pick. (via @wojespn)

If it was simply a talent for talent swap, then yeah. It wouldn't make any sense. But you're missing all the other factors in this. The Celtics had to shed salary in order to get Hayward the max deal. Bradley, Crowder, or Smart was going to have to go. Bradley made the most sense as he'll be an unrestricted free agent after the 2017-2018 season. If that's what it takes to get Gordon Hayward, you make that deal every time. I thought both sides made out pretty well. SVG probably needs to make the playoffs this year to save his job, and with Bradley Detroit gets a good two way guard as a one season rental. Boston gets the necessary cap space to sign Hayward plus Morris, who can be a useful rotation guy for them. Winners all the way around.

Interesting ripple effect - the Pistons have renounced their rights to Kentavious Caldwell Pope, who immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent. It might work against him. He may have gotten more if another team had signed him to an max offer sheet and forced the Pistons to match or let him walk. At this stage in free agency the big bucks might not be there for him.

Reactions: CyJack13

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

No getting a rotation guy on a great contract in a salary dump they have to make to sign Heyward is definitely not "taking L's".

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Lakers-Clippers summer league on ESPN right now. Matt Thomas is on the Lakers summer league team

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
How has Jeff Green gotten yet another contract, its amazing how every team he leaves gets dramatically better. Atleast this time its not a crazy amount of money, but he'll be riding the pine a lot for the rest of his career.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
How has Jeff Green gotten yet another contract, its amazing how every team he leaves gets dramatically better. Atleast this time its not a crazy amount of money, but he'll be riding the pine a lot for the rest of his career.

Teams like the idea of Jeff Green, they just don't actually like Jeff Green the player.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Its strange isnt it, even with the change to position-less basketball an athletic 6'9 guy still struggles to do anything above average. If he wasnt so highly regarded out of college for some reason I doubt he'd be in the nba at all now.
Have to admit Im disappointed in New Orleans this offseason, they are only going to get a short time to work with Cousins and Davis and they arent pulling in 3 and D guys to go around them to make them be competitive. Right now I dont think they are good enough for the playoffs and thats with probably the best two posts in the game right now.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Its strange isnt it, even with the change to position-less basketball an athletic 6'9 guy still struggles to do anything above average. If he wasnt so highly regarded out of college for some reason I doubt he'd be in the nba at all now.
Have to admit Im disappointed in New Orleans this offseason, they are only going to get a short time to work with Cousins and Davis and they arent pulling in 3 and D guys to go around them to make them be competitive. Right now I dont think they are good enough for the playoffs and thats with probably the best two posts in the game right now.

They severely overpaid to retain Jrue Holiday. They'll have some difficult decisions to make at the trade deadline. I think their best case scenario is maybe being in the mix for the six seed, but an awful lot would have to happen even for that - Boogie keeping his head on straight, Brow and Holiday staying healthy, and Gentry finding a way to maximize his two superstars. I think it's more likely they hang around just outside of the eight seed. They're too top heavy, with a crappy supporting cast.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I wonder if they are trying to attach picks to go with the bad contracts otherwise agreed they stuck big time. Always root for the teams that have been down awhile, kind of why I want the Bucks and T'wolves to do well as well. Definitely not the Knicks though lol.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I know its just summer league, but getting blown out while starting five rotation guys probably does not bode well for Chicago this year.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Idea (stolen from Bill Simmons article): The Clippers need to relocate Seattle.

Owner lived in Seattle for 30+ years. Seattle deserves a basketball team. Clippers will NEVER come out of the shadow of the Lakers.

Thoughts?
I listened to BS's podcast and he also thinks New Orleans should move to Seattle.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I know its just summer league, but getting blown out while starting five rotation guys probably does not bode well for Chicago this year.
I think you take out the like 25 minutes Cam Payne "played" and things would look a lot smoother. We'll still be god awful, but no reason he shoots more than Lauri.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Patrick McCaw pulling off the very rare combo of NBA Finals rotation guy and Summer League starter this summer.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...iberg-sees-no-buyout-dwyane-wade-season-opens

I think it would be a mistake by the Bulls to not do whatever they can to move Wade before the season starts. You don't want that guy sucking up all the oxygen in the offense when you have a bunch of young players that you're trying to develop, for better or worse.

It wouldn't be like the Bulls front office to miss out on a chance to be petty and force Wade to play out the vast majority of the year before buying him out. It will be fun to see Wade try to force them to buy him out just by totally mailing it in all year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It wouldn't be like the Bulls front office to miss out on a chance to be petty and force Wade to play out the vast majority of the year before buying him out. It will be fun to see Wade try to force them to buy him out just by totally mailing it in all year.

Wade knew this was a possibility but he chose to opt in. He wants his money.
I don't think it is petty to play out the majority of the year. They should keep him until and if they get a good enough offer that it benefits them to partially buy him out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron