***Official Let the Joy flow through you thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I did not criticize the team. Coach, yes. I said Prohm had his little comment. It came off as petty, blaming the people that follow this team as being harsh. Well, it worked. They were every bit as bad vs Tennessee. They kicked WV up and down the court after such harshness.

I was glad to see this team playing for each other. I don't care if Lard dislikes the coach and the way things are handled, but you never let your teammates down. The biggest annoyance I had on the previous game was the contagious feeling that sitting Lard and his ensuing lack of care had on the entire team. Anyone who has ever played a sport knows the power of positive energy in a team. Even the best on court leaders can't stop it from spreading (think UAB and BDJ's outburst). Lard came out this game explosive and it was like a transformed team.

'Attaboy' to this team and it's future leaders. Always fight for your brothers on the floor.
:rolleyes::rolleyes: maybe sit the next couple of plays out champ

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I would say the subs even executed very well. While in there, they kept the plan working still while giving valuable rest to the starters. I liked how we killed probably 5% of the game by running away from the ball after made baskets And then walking to it. It allowed time for everyone to get into position and a small breather to them.

I noticed that little wrinkle in the inbounds play setup as well. That little delay made a huge difference by syncing up the timing of the inbounder and the players getting free to receive the pass. Great plan by Prohm and execution by the players.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I would say the subs even executed very well. While in there, they kept the plan working still while giving valuable rest to the starters. I liked how we killed probably 5% of the game by running away from the ball after made baskets And then walking to it. It allowed time for everyone to get into position and a small breather to them.

I can’t remember a team so slow to get the ball against the press but it worked. Most try to grab it and pass before press is set up and we did that a few times when it was there. Unlike Iowa and previous Huggy teams, WVa wasn’t batting the ball away and delaying the game much, but we were literally strolling and taking our time deciding whether Talley or Wiggy were throwing it in.

Lindell, unlike the CF “experts,” was giving coach credit for a great plan against the press.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
When DJ is stopping and popping 3s, we can win any game. Really fun game to watch.

I'll give Prohm some credit here for working the process, but the players looked like they were playing for each other finally. Lard energized them all. Of course Prohm whined in the post game that "they took a beating in the media" after last game. Well, that's because they played a historically bad dumper of a game and that's on him as Head Coach. The beatings will cease once moral improves.
Speaking of whine you seem to be an expert on the subject so guess Prohm must be whining.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Well FerShizzle, looks like Prohm listened to us crazy folks who said Talley should run the point. Boy, it worked like a charm and was the difference in the game. Need to get NWB healthy, but, we found a ball handler until then!!
Wish I could take all the credit, but I had seen Nader and Niang and Burton destroy that press too many times. Talley was amazing though. We need to start running more offense through him, even after NWB comes back. We finally seem to have found a mismatch, and look how much better the offense was (both half-court and transition).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Well FerShizzle, looks like Prohm listened to us crazy folks who said Talley should run the point. Boy, it worked like a charm and was the difference in the game. Need to get NWB healthy, but, we found a ball handler until then!!

A few visions of Georges out there, he was great.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Wish I could take all the credit, but I had seen Nader and Niang and Burton destroy that press too many times. Talley was amazing though. We need to start running more offense through him, even after NWB comes back. We finally seem to have found a mismatch, and look how much better the offense was (both half-court and transition).

There's an interesting point in there - Nader, Niang, Burton and Talley are all bigger than typical NCAA PGs and they seem to have handled the press well. I was at the game in Morgantown last year and I felt like Monte struggled against it more than I would have guessed. Maybe size is an important variable against the physical nature of their press (I am traveling so I haven't seen the recording of the game yet). It certainly helps to have height to see over traps.

It'll be interesting to see how CSP deploys NWB and Talley in this year's game in M'town.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I wonder if this is the basketball equivalent of the Oklahoma game in football. Leader of the team is out (injury, not leaving team). No one giving you a shot and you come out and outplay a team that was supposed to give you a beat down.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
There's an interesting point in there - Nader, Niang, Burton and Talley are all bigger than typical NCAA PGs and they seem to have handled the press well. I was at the game in Morgantown last year and I felt like Monte struggled against it more than I would have guessed. Maybe size is an important variable against the physical nature of their press (I am traveling so I haven't seen the recording of the game yet). It certainly helps to have height to see over traps.

It'll be interesting to see how CSP deploys NWB and Talley in this year's game in M'town.
Being able to see and pass over the top of the D is a huge advantage. The second the double team comes, you push the ball up the court to a guard and have a 4 on 3 or 3 on 2 advantage.

If you noticed last night, WVU pretty much called off their press for the middle 20 minutes, and just applied light pressure to Talley as he brought the ball up. They knew that it was a losing battle to try and trap. I was shocked they didn't just completely sit back in the half court.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I can’t remember a team so slow to get the ball against the press but it worked. Most try to grab it and pass before press is set up and we did that a few times when it was there. Unlike Iowa and previous Huggy teams, WVa wasn’t batting the ball away and delaying the game much, but we were literally strolling and taking our time deciding whether Talley or Wiggy were throwing it in.

Lindell, unlike the CF “experts,” was giving coach credit for a great plan against the press.

All night I (And the people around me) kept urging the team to get the ball in quicker. But obviously their plan worked extremely well.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"some" credit? ... Maybe lots of credit for many areas. "whined"?..... maybe stated a fact just to emphasize how his team responded. Take the good with the good, man.

Prohm is just plain spoken after wins and loses. Not too high, not too low. You are not going to get some dumb "So Proud" Rhoads hyperbole or a bunch of Fennelly "Iowa State Way" kinda platitudes. Prohm is one of the few coaches post games I will actually occasionally listen to.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All night I (And the people around me) kept urging the team to get the ball in quicker. But obviously their plan worked extremely well.

True this. At first i was kinda "Grab the ball, lets go" but then was "Ah, well hell this working. Cool."

What was interesting is we were doing and executing this with guys and a team that have struggled mightily at times on inbounding. Interesting doing this to slow the game down some with the clock off (mentally) but essentially speeding the game up after we inbounded with our press bust scheme.

Last edited:

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
The win was unexpected and awesome, and to make it even sweeter Baylor is now in sole possession of last place in the Big XII.
I guess...I mean, they've been a thorn in our side for a while now and I HATE their athletics department for obvious reasons...but I really like Scott Drew.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
I wonder if this is the basketball equivalent of the Oklahoma game in football. Leader of the team is out (injury, not leaving team). No one giving you a shot and you come out and outplay a team that was supposed to give you a beat down.

Our group said this before the game, and then the staff and team pulled it off. That's why college sports are so fun. Go in hoping they play with great effort, and leave elated by a great performance and win.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Last night was the first game all year that I yelled loud enough and long enough to have a sore throat and weak voice. Nothing like the feeling after a big win.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I noticed that little wrinkle in the inbounds play setup as well. That little delay made a huge difference by syncing up the timing of the inbounder and the players getting free to receive the pass. Great plan by Prohm and execution by the players.

That stood out to me too. I'd have to rewatch it to see who the players were, but they kept flashing someone around a screen like they were going to receive the pass in the corner and then they cracked back and set a screen on the defender while the original screener popped free. It worked time and time again.

It was really nice to see a legitimate inbounds play.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You should have emailed Prohm earlier, but at least you prevented him from going back to the Milwaukee game plan.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Leaving it to the DM Rag to put our joy in its place. They don’t cover much non Hawks sports and seem to have no interest in high school sports except Hawk recruits, but somehow after that great win, the troubles of a guy who hasn’t been our coach for 15 years is front page sports news.:rolleyes:

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
The overrated chant will never stop...ever. Students don't know how stupid it is and never will.
Very rarely is it warranted.

I remember that my Alma Mater (William Penn University) played Grinnell the game after Jack Taylor scored over 100 points...they platoon swap every 90 seconds and he wasn't getting special treatment that game so he came in to the game a lot. Every time he was subbed in we gave a hearty "overrated" chant to him.

He played like crap and even flipped us off, which was a bonus. And WPU decimated them.

Reactions: NWICY