*** OFFICIAL ISU-IOWA POSTGAME THREAD ***

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Gonna give a shoutout for Morris. Thought he helped quite a bit in little ways, quicker feet on D than Naz or Thomas. Also Hogue when he was on Marble, did a good job. He got loose a little on us when Hogue not on him.

I agree and his Trey has to give him confidence; he'll take over this offense next year. what a good player who protects the possession

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I thought Fran really hurt himself by playing guys that really did not need to be getting minutes. Won't mention names, but there were guys that played a lot that hurt Iowa. Fran, while a very good coach, out thinks himself sometimes.

He also has got to get his guys to stop fouling. Iowa reaches, grabs, hacks and sets a ton of illegal screens and it really really hurts them down the stretch in road games. They have to clean that up and play about 3 less guys. 3 or 4 guys for Iowa that have no business playing on that team.

I agree. It is a good thing to have depth, but if 3 or 4 of the guys should really not be on the floor, then what is the point? That's not really depth.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I thought Fran really hurt himself by playing guys that really did not need to be getting minutes. Won't mention names, but there were guys that played a lot that hurt Iowa. Fran, while a very good coach, out thinks himself sometimes.

He also has got to get his guys to stop fouling. Iowa reaches, grabs, hacks and sets a ton of illegal screens and it really really hurts them down the stretch in road games. They have to clean that up and play about 3 less guys. 3 or 4 guys for Iowa that have no business playing on that team.

+1. It's not football. The new rules especially have made that clear. It seems like Iowa hasn't adapted to that yet. When they would get beat, they would hack. Sometimes they got a piece of the ball which causes havoc. Most of the time, it just ended up causing a blatant foul. They will struggle on the road if they play like that.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I'm still mad at Monte Morris. Why would you leave Gessel for 3 to double….Adam Woodbury?

Who scouting Iowa? They are a fantastic team in transition and it was like we were unprepared for defense in transition. And Aaron White? Who cares if he made a 3. Don't guard him out there. He'll kill you on back cuts and buckets down low. Keep him on the perimeter with the ball in his hands out there.

How did we win again? : )

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

It seems this is the case to me too. Not sure why he gives some guys so many minutes. I was on a road trip with nothing better to do than listen to the Hok-Notre Dame game and in the first half Oleshani (sp?) was playing really well, then he played one minute in the second half.

At the end of the day, we got outplayed for 37 minutes, but in the 3 minutes that count the most guys like Ejim, Hogue, and Niang were clutch while Marble and Gessell wet the bed. Games like this and UNI can pay huge dividends. This team is so mentally tough.

Morris came in and played great minutes, and what can you say about Naz and his improvement. I would like to see Thomas get more aggressive offensively.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I really don't care for Gesell and Woodbury. I think it was the fact Iowa fans thought they were such awesome recruits coming out of high school and that they had beat us out to get them. Anyway, it was awesome to see them play such a big roll in the Iowa State win. Kane's inbounds pass off Woodbury was classic and it helped get ISU rolling in the second half and then Gesell's missed free throws with the game on the line were huge. It made the win that much better.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
16 boards for Hogue again...is it crazy to think he could lead the nation in rebounding? If not this year next year?

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Who scouting Iowa? They are a fantastic team in transition and it was like we were unprepared for defense in transition.

Hoiberg was very focal days before the game that the key would be stopping Iowa in transition.

They knew of it, it just wasn't easy.

Hopefully because Iowa is a great team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I really don't care for Gesell and Woodbury. I think it was the fact Iowa fans thought they were such awesome recruits coming out of high school and that they had beat us out to get them. Anyway, it was awesome to see them play such a big roll in the Iowa State win. Kane's inbounds pass off Woodbury was classic and it helped get ISU rolling in the second half and then Gesell's missed free throws with the game on the line were huge. It made the win that much better.

Niang and Long are going to significantly outproduce them from the same class...and they went nuts over their big gets.

Gazelle or a deer in headlights shooting into the Hilton crowd? Gessell did play a very good game up until crunch time though, probably their second or third best player for much of the night. Uthoff got really lucky he didn't foul out, he hand checked twice as much as what Naz got fouled out for doing.