*** Official FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread ***

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
That's silly, every sport has terrible calls by officials.
The problem is that in soccer there aren't a lot of chances created in close games and a single call like that can directly change the result of a game. Similar to the weak offside call on Edu in 2010.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I didn't watch the game, but I saw the score on the computer. I assume the complaining about a "horrible call" in this thread relates to the penalty Neymar converted. I assume it didn't look like a foul to you all.

If that's the case, here's a reasonable suggestion: introduce replay for the ref when a penalty in the box is given. The ref should have the discretion to look at a replay to confirm it was indeed a penalty because, as previous posters have said, such a decision can often decide a game where so few goals typically occur. The replay should only be employed in that case, so that it doesn't slow down the game in any other instance.

Seems like a simple solution and the benefit (more accuracy in the call) far outweighs the drawback (time delay).

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I didn't watch the game, but I saw the score on the computer. I assume the complaining about a "horrible call" in this thread relates to the penalty Neymar converted. I assume it didn't look like a foul to you all.

If that's the case, here's a reasonable suggestion: introduce replay for the ref when a penalty in the box is given. The ref should have the discretion to look at a replay to confirm it was indeed a penalty because, as previous posters have said, such a decision can often decide a game where so few goals typically occur. The replay should only be employed in that case, so that it doesn't slow down the game in any other instance.

Seems like a simple solution and the benefit (more accuracy in the call) far outweighs the drawback (time delay).

Yeah, you would think it would be simple, but FIFA is more opposed to replay than MLB ever was, no way they institute replay on a penalty call.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron