MLB: ***Official Cubs Offseason Thread***

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Either would be phenomenal.
I missed that we got rid of Dave Martinez. I don't know if that's a shame or not, but seeing him there always reminded me of his young playing days. Absolute cannon from CF.
He's the new Nats manager. We didn't get rid of him

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneErik

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Either would be phenomenal.
I missed that we got rid of Dave Martinez. I don't know if that's a shame or not, but seeing him there always reminded me of his young playing days. Absolute cannon from CF.

Stinks to lose him but I'm happy for him. He's deserved a job and sounds like he had the Nationals job before Dusty took it last second a few years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneErik

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Decent a blog (can't remember from where) saying there are reports the Cubs and Giants have been talking for awhile about possible trade situations.

Says it's possible there's a Heyward for Smardzija/Melancon trade.
No thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

This has top 50 FA and where they may land. They have Cubs getting Darvish and McGee from Colorado - would not be happy with that as Holland is likely also done in Colorado.

Has Arietta going to the Brewers and Wade Davis to the Astros.

Are the Brewers breaking the bank for a pitcher?
EDIT: And 4 years? IF he wanted 4 years, he'd probably have signed an extension already.

• Useful
Reactions: cykidd

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Are the Brewers breaking the bank for a pitcher?
EDIT: And 4 years? IF he wanted 4 years, he'd probably have signed an extension already.

Agreed, 4 years front load the hell out of it and be done, but I'm sure he's looking for six or more years.

I like signing Cobb and maybe Lance Lynn for a lot less than Darvish and putting the extra cash towards the bullpen.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

This has top 50 FA and where they may land. They have Cubs getting Darvish and McGee from Colorado - would not be happy with that as Holland is likely also done in Colorado.

Has Arietta going to the Brewers and Wade Davis to the Astros.

I saw that article earlier today. They basically threw crap against the wall, especially with Arietta. They said he'll want six but will settle for four-five years. That was the main issue with resigning him. If he's willing on settling for that, he'll resign with the Cubs and very doubtful with the Brewers of all teams.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Maybe a stretch but wonder if David Ross would make a good bench coach to take Martinez spot? He already has good rapport with the current roster and former catchers seem to make good managers. I think no one would be surprised if Ross some day does get into managing but I wonder if it's too soon as he seems to be enjoying the time he has we his family right now.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Maybe a stretch but wonder if David Ross would make a good bench coach to take Martinez spot? He already has good rapport with the current roster and former catchers seem to make good managers. I think no one would be surprised if Ross some day does get into managing but I wonder if it's too soon as he seems to be enjoying the time he has we his family right now.
Ross has said he still isn't getting enough time with his family, so I would be surprised if he wanted to be the bench coach. However, if he did, the Cubs would probably love to have him.

Reactions: CYdTracked

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Geesh! What is on scale for this winter? Isnt this the last winter of renovations?
2017-18 OFFSEASON PROJECTS
Here's a list of projects that will be executed during this offseason:

• Structural Improvements
  • Continued Terrace Reserved Seating Replacement
  • American Airlines 1914 Club (to be completed by Opening Day 2018)
  • Maker's Mark Barrel Room (to be completed by Opening Day 2019)
  • The W Club (to be completed by Opening Day 2019)
  • Catalina Club (to be completed by Opening Day 2019)
  • Enhancements to the Suite Level
  • Expanded concessions
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/restore-wrigley/updates/timeline/

Believe next off-season is the last of the renovations. Think the Press Box & Visiting Team Clubhouse are scheduled to be redone.

• Informative
Reactions: chuckd4735

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
2017-18 OFFSEASON PROJECTS
Here's a list of projects that will be executed during this offseason:

• Structural Improvements
  • Continued Terrace Reserved Seating Replacement
  • American Airlines 1914 Club (to be completed by Opening Day 2018)
  • Maker's Mark Barrel Room (to be completed by Opening Day 2019)
  • The W Club (to be completed by Opening Day 2019)
  • Catalina Club (to be completed by Opening Day 2019)
  • Enhancements to the Suite Level
  • Expanded concessions
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/restore-wrigley/updates/timeline/

Believe next off-season is the last of the renovations. Think the Press Box & Visiting Team Clubhouse are scheduled to be redone.

I don't see bullpen improvements and finding somebody, anybody to take Jason Heyward's contract on that list.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I get how they are gonna fit a football field in Wrigley now. Northwestern is gonna get a home game at Wrigley every November plus a bowl game. The Ivy Bowl, coming to the Big 10 conference near you in 2019!