MLB: ***Official Cubs Offseason Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Evidently it was Maddon who was behind the firing of Bosio

Also, Jay really wants to come back as a Cub. I like him but unless we want to platoon our entire outfield again I'm not sure we have room for him unless we get rid of 2 current outfielders

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I believe the most pressing need for the Cubs this offseason is good defensive catching. I also believe this take will be highly unpopular and will garner some hate by fellow Cub fans. With that said, here is my case.

Not having Ross and Montero behind the plate severely hurt the pitching staff this year. They both were great at framing pitches (+Calls) and had very good RAA's. They both also called a great game. Willson Contreras was -147 in +Calls for 2017 and -19.6 RAA for 2017 basically bottom 10 in the league in both. Contreras also struggles at calling a game. The strong arm for Contreras is a plus, but works as a double edge sword. The goal should be not allowing the runner to reach base, (call better pitches, frame rate) rather than take pride in throwing them out.

Lastly if every Cub fan is honest they will see more Geo Soto or Wellington Castillo in Contreras then the highly untouchable player some blogs lable him.

I am for moving Contreras this offseason and get back to D at the catcher spot

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I believe the most pressing need for the Cubs this offseason is good defensive catching. I also believe this take will be highly unpopular and will garner some hate by fellow Cub fans. With that said, here is my case.

Not having Ross and Montero behind the plate severely hurt the pitching staff this year. They both were great at framing pitches (+Calls) and had very good RAA's. They both also called a great game. Willson Contreras was -147 in +Calls for 2017 and -19.6 RAA for 2017 basically bottom 10 in the league in both. Contreras also struggles at calling a game. The strong arm for Contreras is a plus, but works as a double edge sword. The goal should be not allowing the runner to reach base, (call better pitches, frame rate) rather than take pride in throwing them out.

Lastly if every Cub fan is honest they will see more Geo Soto or Wellington Castillo in Contreras then the highly untouchable player some blogs lable him.

Lol

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Contreras has been the full time catcher for one season. One. Let the guy grow before you start talking about trading him.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Contreras has a top 5 arm in the MLB and his framing is good. A lot of his missed strike calls on poor framing was just laziness, not lack of talent, which can be fixed under Maddon, look at Baez.

Also, defensive focused catchers aren't the greatest things in the world. Matt Wieters hit .230 this year but was praised for his defense and his defense is a huge reason the Cubs won the NLDS.

If the Cubs did make a move for a catcher, it would be because they want Contreras in LF, not because they don't want him.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

Here it is. This is the worst post in the history of this website.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Cubs need a good outfield bat and major bullpen help. Assuming Hickey is hired as the new pitching coach that will hopefully help things. They also need to trade the Mets for a mediocre bat since former Mets hitters turn into amazing hitters after leaving (Murphy, Turner).

• Creative
Reactions: CycloneErik

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Comparing Willson to Geo Soto or Wellington is seriously the most asinine thing I've ever read. He's 25 and making less than a million a year. He is under team control for another six years. Trading him would be the single most idiotic thing this franchise could do.

Reactions: YeahBuddy

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah I saw that yesterday, but was just hoping he was heading back home for the winter.

Also, whats everyone's thoughts on David Ross being the bench coach? It doesn't sound like he is interested but I think it would be a great move if he was interested.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
David Ross has the bench coach job if he wants it - just sounds like he doesn't want it.

I think John Farrell gets it if he wants it.

If both are no goes, I think the Cubs stay in house.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
David Ross has the bench coach job if he wants it - just sounds like he doesn't want it.

I think John Farrell gets it if he wants it.

If both are no goes, I think the Cubs stay in house.

Either would be phenomenal.
I missed that we got rid of Dave Martinez. I don't know if that's a shame or not, but seeing him there always reminded me of his young playing days. Absolute cannon from CF.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Decent a blog (can't remember from where) saying there are reports the Cubs and Giants have been talking for awhile about possible trade situations.

Says it's possible there's a Heyward for Smardzija/Melancon trade.