***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonetbone

Dec 12, 2011
Can't pull it off if TV contracts demand 9 conference games. 11*9 / 2 = 49.5 games

Problem solved... 10 conference games (really do not care if we lose a non conference game as long as that game is UNI, ha.) Heck, play Iowa every year, and then North Texas (every year) and while it may be a hard SOS, it is better then having to play FSU or Clemsen (teams we have absolutely no chance of beating... ever.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Problem solved... 10 conference games (really do not care if we lose a non conference game as long as that game is UNI, ha.) Heck, play Iowa every year, and then North Texas (every year) and while it may be a hard SOS, it is better then having to play FSU or Clemsen (teams we have absolutely no chance of beating... ever.

North Carolina State beat FSU. WVU destroyed Clemson last year. I wouldnt say there is 'absolutely no chance'

Fanof14

Apr 20, 2010

Ever?? I don't know about that. Came pretty close in KC against FSU. In fact, with review, we might have won.

As for an easier schedule, I'm all for it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
College football conference expansion won't likely end with Maryland to the Big Ten - ESPN

Conference realignment: Notre Dame 'concerned' about ACC - SBNation.com

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-thoughtless-reorganization-of-college-sports

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...11/19/maryland-big-ten-realignment/index.html

The major value of Maryland, however, stems from its cable television potential. A prominent television executive told SI.com on Sunday that the Big Ten's Maryland-Rutgers play could yield as much as $200 million. The most realistic number for the league, once it attempts to get the Big Ten Network on televisions in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic corridor, is somewhere between $100 and $150 million.

Is this better? Seems like this is revenue positive for BIG. The BIG network is a beast.

Last edited:

Cyclonetbone

Dec 12, 2011
Ever?? I don't know about that. Came pretty close in KC against FSU. In fact, with review, we might have won.

As for an easier schedule, I'm all for it.

I guess this is what I am more talking about... yes, we could beat them once in a while... but I bet we could beat a Cinci or Louisville more often than either of those programs. Everyone on this board has been clammoring for these top shelf programs (mostly for money) and I am all for adding both FSU and Clemson IF we add Cinci and Louisville... and FSU and Clemson are in the other division. They are going to probably limit bowls to 7 wins teams in the near future, and I dont care how much money we are making, recruits will not come if we don't have the possibility to make a bowl game and our SOS doesn't matter because there is no real possibility that we are competing for a national title. Get to a point where we have 4 virtual gimme's with a competition for about 4 games and and underdog feel for 4 games. I like going to all Cyclone games, but I REALLY like going to wins.

We have won 7 or more games like 16 or 17 times over the past 120 years... If we were winning 7 games a year every year, I am sure there would be some people that would be wanting more, but a winning season is a winning season...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
UCF, USF must bolt Big East for ACC or Big 12 - OrlandoSentinel.com

If UCF President John Hitt and USF President Judy Genshaft haven't already scheduled appointments with Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford and Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, then they are being seriously derelict in their duties.

Likewise, if Swofford and Bowlsby aren't at least intrigued with adding the tandem of UCF and USF, then they are hopelessly myopic and deserve to have their leagues ransacked by the ruthless raiders from the SEC and Big Ten.

Memo to the ACC and Big 12: Come to your senses. UCF and USF are two huge public universities with up-and-coming football programs located in major TV markets. Ten years down the road, these two schools have the potential to be the next Florida and Florida State.

Last edited:

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Our friends on the Texas message board are already thinking about a BigXX conference without ISU:

Maryland and Rutgers talk not going away - Page 369

"Imagine this is the short game :

B1G 16 = 14 + Kansas + Duke
SEC 16 = 14 + UNC + UVA
PAC 12 = current configuration
NEW 20 = BXII west (10 teams) + ACC east (10 teams)
Texas + Texas Tech
Oklahoma + Oklahoma State
Baylor + TCU
Iowa State + Kansas State
West Virginia + Louisville

Florida State + Clemson
Georgia Tech + Virginia Tech
Notre Dame + Wake Forest
NC State + Miami
Syracuse + Pitt

Imagine this is the long game :

SEC 16 = 14 + UNC + UVA
PAC 16 = adds Texas + Texas Tech + Oklahoma + Oklahoma State
NEW 16 = BXII west (8 teams) + ACC east (8 teams)
with the lowest 4 teams getting phased out over time. First to go will probably be Iowa State and Wake Forrest followed by Baylor and whoever else is bringing up the bottom at the time."

Last edited:

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Our friends on the Texas message board are already thinking about a BigXX conference without ISU:

Maryland and Rutgers talk not going away - Page 369

"Imagine this is the short game :

SEC 16 = 14 + UNC + UVA
PAC 12 = current configuration
NEW 20 = BXII west (10 teams) + ACC east (10 teams)
Texas + Texas Tech
Oklahoma + Oklahoma State
Baylor + TCU
Iowa State + Kansas State
West Virginia + Louisville

Florida State + Clemson
Georgia Tech + Virginia Tech
Notre Dame + Wake Forest
NC State + Miami
Syracuse + Pitt

Imagine this is the long game :

SEC 16 = 14 + UNC + UVA
PAC 16 = adds Texas + Texas Tech + Oklahoma + Oklahoma State
NEW 16 = BXII west (8 teams) + ACC east (8 teams)
with the lowest 4 teams getting phased out over time. First to go will probably be Iowa State and Wake Forrest followed by Baylor and whoever else is bringing up the bottom at the time."
Just stupid. Why do people take this stuff seriously? First not going to happen. Big 12 would keep rights to schools that left. Second there would be 16 teams left in new 16 after 4 leave for PAC. Lowest 4 teams being phased out would drop it to 12.

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Just stupid. Why do people take this stuff seriously? First not going to happen. Big 12 would keep rights to schools that left. Second there would be 16 teams left in new 16 after 4 leave for PAC. Lowest 4 teams being phased out would drop it to 12.

UT is THE reason why FSU and Clem didn't make the move previously. Nobody but us idiots in the Big 12 are dumb enough to put up with their ********. **** UT. Ignore their dumb *****. 90% of the people on that board didn't even go to school at UT.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
UT is THE reason why FSU and Clem didn't make the move previously. Nobody but us idiots in the Big 12 are dumb enough to put up with their ********. **** UT. Ignore their dumb *****. 90% of the people on that board didn't even go to school at UT.

Florida State wanted to come here... we chose not to expand unless ND was included...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Florida State wanted to come here... we chose not to expand unless ND was included...

Everything I'm reading/seeing now says this is not true. FSU and Clem had standing offers from B12 and chose to stay in ACC. Notre Dame going to ACC solidified their decision. Dodds had egg on his face because he promised everyone that ND was coming. By all appearances they were told this week that those invitations are still valid... and they still haven't left.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The Florida St. guy said he will be watching to see how Marylands exit fees turn out. I'm guessing if they can escape at a decent price, FSU will follow suit.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
ISU is a charter member of the Big (6)(8)(12) we are not getting kicked out of the league we created.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
lol, the found us a new home at shaggybevo!

The GOR is very solid, but can be overcome if all parties agree to cancel them. That's basically finding every B12 school a safe and stable home with the same pay, plus keeping ESPN and Fox happy. One way to do that is to let OU follow Boren's dream into the P12 and take OKSt, KU, and either TT or TCU (their unofficial motto of, "Don't let the middle name fool you" may make them acceptable to the P12 when Baylor is not.) The ACC, down to 9 schools, takes WV, ISU, KSU, Baylor and TCU (or TT) while UT gets the same independence deal as ND. Perhaps UNC and FSU also go the semi-indy route. Something like each indy hosts a pod and commits to 3 pod games +2 others per year in the ACC.

Why on earth would UT do that and give up having virtually their own conference, especially when they could take FSU, Clem, and up to 4 others and be host one of the 4 remaining power conferences? I'd agree, but perhaps Deloss is looking at it differently. Maybe he thinks it is too hard to win the B12 most years (hire a better coach, dumb@ss.) Perhaps if all 4 conferences go to 16 (including the Pac) this is a way to renegotiate the playoff agreement for more booty, a greater share to UT, and perhaps finally moving to a new NCAA division.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I guess this is what I am more talking about... yes, we could beat them once in a while... but I bet we could beat a Cinci or Louisville more often than either of those programs. Everyone on this board has been clammoring for these top shelf programs (mostly for money) and I am all for adding both FSU and Clemson IF we add Cinci and Louisville... and FSU and Clemson are in the other division. They are going to probably limit bowls to 7 wins teams in the near future, and I dont care how much money we are making, recruits will not come if we don't have the possibility to make a bowl game and our SOS doesn't matter because there is no real possibility that we are competing for a national title. Get to a point where we have 4 virtual gimme's with a competition for about 4 games and and underdog feel for 4 games. I like going to all Cyclone games, but I REALLY like going to wins.

We have won 7 or more games like 16 or 17 times over the past 120 years... If we were winning 7 games a year every year, I am sure there would be some people that would be wanting more, but a winning season is a winning season...

Not sure that they will demand 7 wins to make a bowl. Using that criteria can mean that the only eligible bowl teams for the minor bowls will be a bunch of MAC, MWC, and WAC teams that are actually inferior to a 6 win Big XII, or SEC team. Teams that bring NO fans to the Bowls. And nobody wants to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.