***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

We had a house party the night before a home football game (Criner and Walden eras so we sucked and just went to drink) and we were hanging pretty bad the next moring and we just mixed up some left over liquor and we all tasted it first, We had to give it a name so one guy just said "gorilla fart" out of the blue so we ran with it.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Polk County tornado watch until 10 pm, that seems long. Doesn't seem as crazy as it was last week - tornado risk lower with this one, or dunno yet?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Polk County tornado watch until 10 pm, that seems long. Doesn't seem as crazy as it was last week - tornado risk lower with this one, or dunno yet?

I would say risk is equal but with the power of hindsight I would say logic dictates this event will be lesser. Different type of setup today.

Reactions: Tailg8er

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
From what I read, the tornado risk is lower today. The best chance for twisters will be any cells that can form ahead of an advancing cold front. The cold front will eventually overtake these cells, leading to a line of storms. The main risk with the line will be large hail and winds. I think by the time the storms make it to central IA later tonight, it will be mostly linear storms with little tornado risk.

That's my amateur take! @wxman1 can certainly provide much more accurate info and more details!

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
We had a house party the night before a home football game (Criner and Walden eras so we sucked and just went to drink) and we were hanging pretty bad the next moring and we just mixed up some left over liquor and we all tasted it first, We had to give it a name so one guy just said "gorilla fart" out of the blue so we ran with it.
Gorilla Fart is not to be confused with Gorilla glue, correct.

• Funny
Reactions: Turn2

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A line of storms are developing in NE along the Missouri River and then just west of there. Will there be 2 rounds of storms with supercells storms first then the cold front storms?

Depends on where you are but that would be the usual pattern for a setup like today.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Big hail (possible tennis balls) working SW to NE from SW IA. Hail is definitely going to be the major problem today imo.

Help Support Us

Become a patron